Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 113061

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:24   #91
PunkDebutante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhphoto
Hi guys, I'm new here so be gentle!

I've read all the posts and as I have a 2002 170bhp V70 I wonder if I should be worried or not?

I can only find one reference to the models after 2001 having a problem

What does the team think?

David
I should think you would be okay. Volvo UK originally told me to sell my 2000 and buy a 2002 if I didn't want to have this problem.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:24   #92
Agostino

Default ETM Failures

Hi.
Has anyone seen "WatchDog" tonight. They did a piece on this problem, and got Volvo Uk to admit that there is one.
Agostino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:28   #93
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

I too encountered a similar issue when I bought my very first T4 back in 1997. It had the inherent erratic idling issue which causes the cars to stall unexpectedly, has plagued Phase I cars and I too was very nearly involved in a serious accident on account of that. The difference was, VCUK put their hands up, admitted there was a problem (which I have in writing!) and replaced the entire car at no cost to me. Hence, as far as I was concerned, the issue was resolved and I went on to purchase a further 7 brand new Volvo cars over the years. Hence, I cannot help but feel that should this matter have been handled better, it probably would not have reached the current state.

One thing I will say is the level of customer service from VCUK has gotten progressively worse over the years. When I had the problem with my car, it was handled very professionally and everyone I met at Marlow was more than helpful. When I was told to expect a phone call, I received the call, even if it was to say that they were still trying to sort things out. When I have called in recent years, I cannot help but feel that the responses have been more arrogant and challenging and this has to be either down to the nature of the staff, or a simple fact that they have been inadequately trained as customer services personnel. I really do feel sorry for those of you with this ETM problem. Going on my recent experience, I think there's going to be a lot of "passing the buck" before anything is done. Perhaps they hope that you'll get so frustrated that you'll just give up, so DON'T!!

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Feb 14th, 2006 at 20:36.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:34   #94
PunkDebutante

Try telling that to Volvo UK. My husband and I just rang them and even though we told them he was the one on the show, the rep said there is no problem and Volvo UK would be doing nothing for the owners.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:46   #95
bmason2000

Default Keep applying the pressure to Volvo

As a concerned owner of a 2000 XC70 with 112,000 miles, we all need to hassle Volvo until they cave in. Keep ringing them on, 0845 756 4636. It’s called their customer relations dept. Don’t let them get away with this.
CALL NOW 0845 756 4636
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:48   #96
kevham

I saw Watchdog tonight and I'm now very worried by this.
I've had my 2000 V70 2.4 for 2 and a half years and it has exhibited the signs of a faulty ETM intermittently since winter 2003 (poor cold starting, rough idle at startup etc). I first reported it to the dealer whilst the car was still under warranty in December 2003 and was told that they couldn't find anything wrong.
I had never considered this to be a potential safety issue until now (just a winter annoyance) but I am now very, very concerned after reading this thread (especially since my wife is 7 months pregnant).
I tried contacting the number given by Watchdog tonight and after 20minutes on hold, I gave up. I will be contacting my Volvo dealer tomorrow and will be pursuing a contribution to a replacement ETM on the basis that the fault was first reported during the warranty period.
If I'm not successful (and I don't have much hope), the car will be getting traded (probably for a Honda Accord) and I will NEVER buy another Volvo.
Volvo's reputation is totally dependent on safety (their cars have never had 'cool' appeal) and the way they are handling appears to be appalling.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 20:50   #97
PunkDebutante

I would be worried. My 8 year old daughter and my two unborn daughters and I were almost killed in our supposedly safe Volvo. Volvo UK still doesn't care and when my husband called tonight he was told "what do you want us to do about it."
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:05   #98
g-a-r-y

Hi, I too have had my ETM replaced just 3 weeks ago I did a whole lot of work before giving in by reading up on Vexed posts and this forum, then printing off the legal result in the states and the post from the guy who had his replaced in the UK FOC as part of a 'Goodwill' arrangement. I presented the evidence to the dealer and also insisted my local dealer phone Volvo Customer services, which they did.. the outcome........ Volvo refused to pay any part of the diagnostics, ETM replacement or software upgrade fees .. total cost to me, the usual £650(ish). I own a 2001 V70 Torslanda btw (the cheapskates version ;-) ).

I've written to Volvo Customer Services tonight via their online facility asking for a full refund and informing them I will be contacting Watchdog after my expected return phone call (due this Friday according to the automated response) to tell them of my customer experience with this issue.

not hopeful that I'll get a positive outcome to be honest but worth another go whilst the focus is on Volvo.

cheers, Gary
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:13   #99
dhphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I should think you would be okay. Volvo UK originally told me to sell my 2000 and buy a 2002 if I didn't want to have this problem.
That is interesting as I didn't think they had admitted a problem

David
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:17   #100
volvo2
Master Member

Kevham,

Volvo UK told me they will not replace the unit after the guarantee period, even if you report initial problems while still under guarantee. They say the unit has to actually fail and be replaced within the guarantee period. What a rip off!

Come to think of it, I am not sure this part meets the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) as it is neither of satisfactory quality nor fit for the intended purpose.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote