Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sad

Views : 21229

Replies : 191

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2013, 18:56   #91
stephend
Premier Member

Ah, I was assuming you'd replace the valve. The point about keeping the buckets and shims in the same places they came from is to preserve the valve clearances. If you're simply putting on a 'new' head, it's the buckets and shims in the 'new' head whose positions you need to preserve.

Re replacing the valve, if you're not confident about replacing and grinding in to the seat (or don't have the necessary tool for removing the valve), that's almost certainly something Derek (?) at the garage could do for you. You've done the donkey work of disassembly, so you'd only be paying for the cost of a valve (not huge for a Volvo OEM, I believe, especially with a nice FRF discount), and a modest amount of Derek's time and skill.

Of course, if gatos can source you a good head at a modest cost, it's as broad as it's long. Me, I'd be tempted to go the route of renewing the valve, purely for the satisfaction and to save gatos a trip to the scrappy. But that's just me.

Re grinding in, go with the advice in the other thread - from memory, Clan advised grinding in, but I don't really remember off the top of my head. Bear in mind that yours is a non-turbo, so doesn't have the sodium-filled valves that were discussed in the other thread.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5

Last edited by stephend; Dec 1st, 2013 at 18:58.
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 19:20   #92
DWM
VOC Member

Thanks. I see. I didn't understand before why these things had to be so carefully looked after - clear now.

I don't actively WANT to put gatos to the trouble but I think in this case I will.

I'm not bothered about the satisfaction-value of preserving the 'original' head. This 'new' one will be newer.

(And if I go to Derek and then the car fails to appear at any future stage he'll know that I was useless and %^&*ed up the re-assembly.... Not sure that I could live that down...)

So it's yes please gatos - and if possible can it come with the thermostat housing please?
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 19:26   #93
DWM
VOC Member

Wink

...and this way I get to clean up the old head and turn it into a coffee table or something... it's the Chipping Norton way...
Definitely time for a shower and some broccoli pasta.

Last edited by DWM; Dec 1st, 2013 at 20:21.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 19:32   #94
stephend
Premier Member

Fair enough!

Of course, you could then strip down the old head as a learning project. Might be worth bearing in mind that, as far as we know, the head itself is fine, it's just the valve that's damaged. As such, it's worth holding on to as a spare, or passing on to someone to repair and fit, so it would still be worth taking care of it, keeping the buckets and shims in the right places etc etc.

If you're getting a used head, check it for flatness, or ask gatos to. The last thing you want is to find it had got overheated and was warped!

Edit: ps, we really should try to get your recipes together into a VOC recipe sticky thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 20:52   #95
malteser
Master Member

Wow been reading this thread and good on you

I really wish I had the time to do my own car like you are doing

Danny

Last edited by malteser; Dec 1st, 2013 at 21:40. Reason: spelling
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malteser For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:30   #96
gatos
Premier Member

It's not a problem at all DWM. When I offered, I genuinely meant it. I was just asking in case you thought it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the valve.

The good thing with the donor car in the scrapyard, is that it is low mileage car. I am afraid I can't check if the flatness of the head. All I can really do, is check the oil and coolant for signs of headgasket failure. But I would also agree that it might be a good idea to check just in case. I will also make sure I remove the head bolts in the right sequence to avoid any damage to it. No need to lock cams, no need to support the engine from under, no need to mark where every bolt goes, etc etc. It will be a lot quicker and fun....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:32   #97
stephend
Premier Member

Wouldn't it be ironic if the reason the one in the scrappie had been scrapped was because of an exhaust valve failing on #4...?

Oh 'eck, hope I haven't jinxed it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:36   #98
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Wouldn't it be ironic if the reason the one in the scrappie had been scrapped was because of an exhaust valve failing on #4...?

Oh 'eck, hope I haven't jinxed it!
lololol. In that case, I would have wasted a couple of hours of my time. Saying that, it is a much lower mileage car, so I hope not

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:39   #99
stephend
Premier Member

Since you obviously enjoy poking about at the scrappie... that one you're going to scavenge the head off... it hasn't got a decent set of roof rails on it by any chance...?
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 22:01   #100
DWM
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Since you obviously enjoy poking about at the scrappie... that one you're going to scavenge the head off... it hasn't got a decent set of roof rails on it by any chance...?
It's an S40 if the link gatos sent me is anything to go by. So that'll be a no. Now stop hijacking my thread!

I think Dog_Book has some in fact...