Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 8449

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2024, 08:07   #91
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by P100HP View Post
Well so far so good after x2 fill-ups after getting the car back.

All fuel delivered without the petrol pump cutting out until it is full and no spillage out of the nozzle.

With regards to the actual fault and repair, the garage didn't really go into any great detail and only advised what I have already posted so not sure on the exact details of it.

Hopefully they have logged this fault and repair in their database for any other garages working on cars with similar issues.
That's good to hear. You must be as happy as I was not to be showered in volatile hydrocarbons

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 11:33   #92
Yelper85

Guess who's car has decided to restart the petrol fountain display when filling up . . .

My wife filled up and apparently it's soaked her. I think this is the straw that broke the camels back.

I'll keep you posted.

Old Jun 4th, 2024, 23:13   #93
davidwf15

.....and you're definitely allowing full flow at the nozzle/trigger (i.e. not dribbling it in or slowing the flow) and STOPPING at the first nozzle cut-off ?

I ask as, like many, I used to click-click-click or squeeze it gently to get the last drops in....on these you HAVE to use the full flow and HAVE to stop at the first click otherwise it overflows - even a tiny squeeze is enough to overflow....

I have only done it once and now dont and the problem has never recurred
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 08:23   #94
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
.....and you're definitely allowing full flow at the nozzle/trigger (i.e. not dribbling it in or slowing the flow) and STOPPING at the first nozzle cut-off ?

I ask as, like many, I used to click-click-click or squeeze it gently to get the last drops in....on these you HAVE to use the full flow and HAVE to stop at the first click otherwise it overflows - even a tiny squeeze is enough to overflow....

I have only done it once and now dont and the problem has never recurred
Hi @davidwf15,

If only it were as simply as that . . .

So I started this thread many moons ago, and everything you mentioned we tried, and so did the dealer. We had the handle pointing different directions, timing the start of delivery, all manner of stuff, but it amounted to nothing and the exact same thing happened every time Volvo filled up as well even with all the sensors reading correctly and reporting normal control operation.

Everything on the fuel side has been replaced, filler neck, all pipes, entire new fuel tank (supposedly malformation of the tank during production was the cause as many European cars have had the same issue).

It's been fine for a while, then it absolutely soaked my wife, the car, and the floor or the forecourt in petrol. She said she was filling at full flow waiting for it to click, but it never clicked and so the full flow the started to come out of the filler at pressure! She even said if it was a little bit she wouldn't have told me as this car has had so many faults you could writer a movie about it, but given the severity she had to.

I'm ringing our Volvo dealer today to explain and once again get the car down there.

I think I'm done with Volvo to be honest. I love the car (and my V60), but it's just issue after issue and Volvo are not willing to do anything about it, so I might as well try a different brand as it can't be any worse plus all the tech is now readily available on other cars.

Old Jun 5th, 2024, 09:42   #95
davidwf15

oh dear....it's such a shame when faults like this spoil an otherwise lovely car that ticks all the required boxes.......I have "moved" back to Volvo after a string of Mercedes...GLC, 2 x GLE, GLB....all absolutely superb cars but all going back to the dealerships at least every month for repeat faults with sensors and software....its bad enough when they are under 3 years old and therefore under warranty, it would be an expensive hobby when they werent.
My 2023 MY XC60 has, so far proved to be excellent in all aspects (and the ride comfort is a breath of fresh air compared to the GLE's) and apart from intermittent "key not found" messages has only been back once in the year we have owned it for a minor problem with the wipers hitting the A-pillar .....maybe....just maybe I got a good 'un......it would be a first in the 33 cars I have owned over the past 48 years.....
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 12:39   #96
Yelper85

Quote:
oh dear....it's such a shame when faults like this spoil an otherwise lovely car that ticks all the required boxes.......I have "moved" back to Volvo after a string of Mercedes...GLC, 2 x GLE, GLB....all absolutely superb cars but all going back to the dealerships at least every month for repeat faults with sensors and software....its bad enough when they are under 3 years old and therefore under warranty, it would be an expensive hobby when they werent.
My 2023 MY XC60 has, so far proved to be excellent in all aspects (and the ride comfort is a breath of fresh air compared to the GLE's) and apart from intermittent "key not found" messages has only been back once in the year we have owned it for a minor problem with the wipers hitting the A-pillar .....maybe....just maybe I got a good 'un......it would be a first in the 33 cars I have owned over the past 48 years.....
If you want a 'laugh', take a look at my other post that lists all the issues that I've had to date.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...25#post2952625

Old Jun 5th, 2024, 19:32   #97
davidwf15

laugh....jees I would be FUMING I do sympathise with you though...out of interest have you tried another dealership ?
thats a lot of repeat faults and they shouldnt be there on any new car let alone one from a prestige maker costing that much ....
you say you might sell it but that is going to cause you considerable financial loss (been there, done that) so why should you.....
my only real concern is the key not detected....they have replaced one key but as you can see here it still happens...we need evidence of it happening......
how much more evidence than this do they need.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240525_132209.jpg (181.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by davidwf15; Jun 5th, 2024 at 19:35.
Old Yesterday, 09:08   #98
Yelper85

Quote:
laugh....jees I would be FUMING I do sympathise with you though...out of interest have you tried another dealership ?
thats a lot of repeat faults and they shouldnt be there on any new car let alone one from a prestige maker costing that much ....
you say you might sell it but that is going to cause you considerable financial loss (been there, done that) so why should you.....
my only real concern is the key not detected....they have replaced one key but as you can see here it still happens...we need evidence of it happening......
how much more evidence than this do they need.....
I only have two local dealers really, and one of those is over the road from where I work, literally. That was a funny phone call when they said it was being worked on, to which I pointed out that I could see it in the car park!

I certainly shouldn't be expecting such faults on this kind of vehicle as you say, and to be honest any other vehicle for that matter and if I didn't love the car as much as I do, it would have gone long ago to be somebody else's problem.

The key detection issue still happens occasionally, I think I've just started to give up the will to live required to be fix it as I'm sick of wasting more time going back and forth.

The next step is small claims court and I'm contacting a couple of solicitors and press magazines as well. For Volvo UK to just wash their hands and say it's a problem for the dealer who sold the car is pathetic as clearly those faults are inherent from factory.