Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo moves to agency model

Views : 17719

Replies : 142

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2023, 08:23   #91
Tony Harrison

It seems Geely has decided Volvo will make appliances. You can have small (40), medium (60) or large (90) - please tick box - but they are basically all the same and the customer has few options. They are already over-priced, currently have more style than Tesla but do not have the charging infrastructure.

The technology is flaky and the ride/handling balance has never been premium.

They call it seamless. I call it pointless.

Volvo is now just a brand name and could easily cease to resonate with buyers.

Sadly, I'm out.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Harrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 08:32   #92
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
It seems Geely has decided Volvo will make appliances. You can have small (40), medium (60) or large (90) - please tick box - but they are basically all the same and the customer has few options. They are already over-priced, currently have more style than Tesla but do not have the charging infrastructure.

The technology is flaky and the ride/handling balance has never been premium.

They call it seamless. I call it pointless.

Volvo is now just a brand name and could easily cease to resonate with buyers.

Sadly, I'm out.
The other Chinese brands are beginning to offer a variety of vehicles that will make Volvo look very staid and homogenous.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 10:32   #93
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
The other Chinese brands are beginning to offer a variety of vehicles that will make Volvo look very staid and homogenous.
With some very interesting names too. "GWM Ora Funky Cat" anyone?
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 10:44   #94
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrow View Post
I've driven a few and I don't like them (including XC40, Jaguar F-Pace) It is a matter of taste I guess. And not saying that Volvo and others don't make great cars that are SUVs, but just not my cup of tea. Give me a Volvo estate any day :
Same here. I’ve had the SPA XC60 as a courtesy car on a few occasions and it does nothing better than my V60 and a number of things that aren’t quite as good, mainly relating to on-road behaviour due to the higher centre of gravity.

I know people like SUV’s for a variety of reasons and I’m pleased for them but I can’t recall ever driving the SUV version and preferring it to the car (bought a Passat last time after driving a Tiguan for example).

My Polestar isn’t an SUV but is based on the XC40 platform that’s lowered as much as possible and you can tell - I wouldn’t want a car any higher. My next EV might be an EX30 but not if it feels like an SUV which I fear it will.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 22:39   #95
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
My Polestar isn’t an SUV but is based on the XC40 platform that’s lowered as much as possible and you can tell - I wouldn’t want a car any higher. My next EV might be an EX30 but not if it feels like an SUV which I fear it will.
That makes no sense since your V60 was built on the same platform as the XC60 and XC90.

The Polestars height is nothing to do with the CMA platform.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 07:03   #96
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
That makes no sense since your V60 was built on the same platform as the XC60 and XC90.

The Polestars height is nothing to do with the CMA platform.
You are correct that the V60, XC60 & XC90 are all built on the same platform, the SPA, but just as the name suggests (Scalable Product Architecture), the platform is scalable for smaller and larger vehicles and as such are not identical.

Although all 3 (and all the other SPA cars) are designed on the same platform, they will drive very differently due to the differences in ride height, suspension type & travel, weight distribution, overall length etc etc so it actually makes perfect sense.

Another example of this is the Audi Q7, VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne, all 3 cars are built on the same platform but all 3 cars drive very differently indeed even though they are all similar sized SUV's.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus

Last edited by sk546; Aug 11th, 2023 at 07:06.
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 15:04   #97
cbarrow

To add to the above. The higher the CofG, (generally) the worse the handling if other variables kept the same. Higher CofGs in SUVs give designers challenges maintaining 'reasonable' (saloon-like) handling. Therefore, for an equivalent car, the SUV variant road-holding/handling will (generally) be poorer than the estate or saloon. That said, few of us will get close to the limits of handling, perhaps except in an emergency manoeuvre (brake and swerve in the wet?), when you really want the best handling you can get!
For this reason, most race cars run as low as they can, up to the limit of either ground clearance, regulations, or aero balance (for those cars which are heavily aero dependent - Volvos not being one of them!).

Last edited by cbarrow; Aug 11th, 2023 at 15:06.
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 16:24   #98
Ian0803

Had an e-mail today from my previous dealer offering me a £5000 Volvo customer loyalty deposit against a 1.9% PCP or a 0% Loan with min 50% deposit. So from memory, pretty similar to what they were offering before minus the additional dealer discount.
Interesting that they now offer the T8 in core trim, but having suffered a considerable depreciation on what was a 15 month old XC90, and a price of ca £70k for a new B5D in Plus trim, I can't be considered a "loyal" customer any longer having spent my money on something far more exciting to drive for a bit less money.
Pretty sure that the £5000 loyalty bonus is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry and suggests to me that the initial move to an Agency model has seen a significant void in new orders
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian0803 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 01:27   #99
Danny 1957

Yep, I had the same offer. My XC90 was a year old five days ago but I do really like it.
Danny 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 22:28   #100
chrisrixy

Default discounts

Maybe the agency model isn't going too well..

There is now £11500 off an XC90 Recharge, £10k off an XC60 Recharge and even £5,500 off the discontinued V90 ...

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/l/offers/volvo-savings/
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote