Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1978 244 DL - info needed!

Views : 3010

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 23:21   #1
Benny dub

Default 1978 244 DL - info needed!

Hi chaps,

Just joined the forum.

My Grandparents have owned their 1978 244 DL since new, but took it out of service 10 years ago when they got a Focus saloon (they were getting on a bit and so needed power steering, not to mention an auto box!). The car has stood in my parents barn ever since.

This weekend whilst clearing some old crap out I decided to try and start it and she fired up no problems. Other than a binding rear caliper the drove beautifully too.

As a bit of a project therefore I want to get her back on the road. Bar some rusty as hell rear arches and a missing backbox she's in awesome condition.

My only problem is I can't seem to find any information abotu the car anywhere! All I seem to find is newer 244's.

It's a '78 DL, with a 2.1 litre straight 4. That's the extent of my knowledge. other than the fact it's brown.

My plans are to get her roadworthy again (shouldn't take much) modernise the interior a bit (this will probably just mean fitting a decent stereo - nothing too crazy) then do a few tasteful mods. What is the norm with these things when it comes to wheel/suspension changes? I'm thinking some nice 15 or 16 inch banded steels with a bit of dish? Also - power gains? Engine conversions? Budget is small as it's just a bit of a mess around project but would like to know the options.

Any info/advice etc. would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Ben
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 02:37   #2
244T
VOC Member

Default On the road

Pleased to hear your intending to get this car back on the road, loads of info on the net and here about modifications, the choice is yours...

Try and post some pictures on here please

Enjoy your project

'90 740 GLT: Standard car
'80 240 DL: Lots of bits and bobs inc turbo intercooler etc etc
244T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 03:12   #3
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

There were few major changes during the cars life so info on later models could still be relevant to yours, and there is stacks of it on the web, and just about everything has been covered on this forum so just do a good search!

The most significant change mechanically was "silver top" to "black top" engines in 1985 (i think) This was the change from B21/23 engines to B200/230. The main differences are engine internals but many other mechanical components are still interchangeable.

Obviously there were several styling tweaks over the years.

If you are looking for a mild but useful performance tweak on a '78 B21 engined car, the pistons are probably dished low compression type, these can be swapped for flat top pistons for 78-84 model years increasing the compression and power. I did this on mine and while I was at it swapped the 398 head for a better breathing 405. The latter has slightly larger chambers so offset the increase in cr slightly, but the difference is still very noticeable.

Alternatively keep the low compression pistons and you have a solid basis for turbocharging, but if you want to go this route then maybe best to recon it anyway!
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 06:50   #4
john h
VOC Member

Smile

The plan sounds logical.

I suggest you set aside a good few hours to do internet research. Even though it's not high profile in the UK, there is a big scene for 70s/80s Volvos in other countries.

To get you started, repair sections are available for rear arches. You'll see fitment on my project thread for my 164 (rear bodywork is similar to your 244, although I'm modifying slightly to accommodate bigger wheels).
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=60815&page=17

As for tuning mods, the scope is vast. Have a browse around turbobricks:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php

A 2.3 turbo engine from a Volvo 940 has basically the same design and can be made to fit a right-hand-drive 244. Power ranges from 135 to 600+bhp, depending how much you want to spend.

Here's some suspension info:
http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am...andling_V2.htm

Some tuning parts:
http://www.kgtrimning.com/KGTRIMNING162005web.pdf

Also, have a look at my good friend Steve's 244, which was passed on from his Grandad when Steve was 11.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46997

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 09:54   #5
Benny dub

Thanks very much for the info chaps. No doubt I'll be asking for more soon!

On a simple one - what stud diameter and offset are the wheels? I really fancy getting a nice set of banded steels made up at some point for it. Nothing too crazy, maybe 16 x 7 inch or something.

Also, the swap to the 2.3 turbo from the 940 - how easy of a conversion is it? Engine mounts etc. the same or not?

Cheers
Ben
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:09   #6
wooble
Stay gold baby!

The wheels as stock are 5x108 (or 5x4.25" in old money) ET 20. I'm running 16x7 ET15-20ish alloys with 205/55/16s and they fit under the arches fine with no modifications required.

Engine options - if you want to make serious power turbo is the way to go, the 940 engine will bolt straight in with minor modifications (distributor needs to be moved from the head to the block, downpipe needs to be cut and welded, some pipework and bracketry to be made). You'll also have to do something about engine management whether it's aftermarket or you adapt the loom and ECU from the 940. If you go the turbo route, making 200-250 BHP is fairly cheap and well-documented. 300+ is achievable if you're willing to spend some cash, and if money becomes no object 1200+ bhp has been recorded by some crazy swedes.

For a simple N/A daily driver, you could stick in a higher-compression 2.3 from a later 240, swap to a hotter cam (there are a whole boatload of cams both factory and aftermarket available), there are aftermarket manifolds available to fit twin weber 45 DCOE carbs, or you can use the manifold from a B230K engine to fit a downdraft weber. Combined with a more free-flowing exhaust you should be making a good bit more power!
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 13:35   #7
Benny dub

Brilliant news! Music to my ears lol

I don't want stupid power, just enough to have a bit of fun with. 200bhp would easily be the top end of what I want to achieve with the car.

Got any pictures of your wheels? Are they alloys or steels? I want to go banded steels to keep it looking retro, but I don't want to fall into the "euro" trap...
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 20:12   #8
wooble
Stay gold baby!

If I had your car as a blank slate, I'd go the twin webers route, and eventually end up with something like this. 220bhp with an overbored block, big-valve head and a beefy cam.

These photos are more of the car than the wheels, but it's all I've got. Inspiration taken mostly from the group A 240s of the mid-80s.

The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 21:45   #9
Benny dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
If I had your car as a blank slate, I'd go the twin webers route, and eventually end up with something like this. 220bhp with an overbored block, big-valve head and a beefy cam.

These photos are more of the car than the wheels, but it's all I've got. Inspiration taken mostly from the group A 240s of the mid-80s.
DO WANT!

Cheers dude, always good to get ideas.

What wheels are they if you don't mind me asking? Custom jobbies or are some like that available off the shelf?

cheers
Ben
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 22:08   #10
wooble
Stay gold baby!

American Racing type 398, essentially exact copies of BBS RS made by American Racing in the late 80s. I don't think they were ever sold in this country, I swapped them for a set of compomotive FHs with a guy in Florida. Unfortunately there's not much choice for decent RWD volvo wheels or even perforance parts in general in the UK, there's a lot more stuff available in the US and scandinavia but getting it shipped here is £££££!