Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF issues, can I help my car??

Views : 2748

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:50   #11
lozzabubble

They refused to pick up the tab, apparently they have to fix it but they don't have to collect it!! They've now given me a courtesy car without insurance
lozzabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 19:54   #12
kebab10
Premier Member

Once you have picked it up and are happy it is fixed, go see trading standards and or ring them and see what they say about this.
Dont forget to name them so us that live near Swindon know not to use them as well.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 13:47   #13
lozzabubble

They're in Southampton, I now regret buying from far away!! To be fair to them, they are fixing the car it's just that they wouldn't collect it so I think naming and shaming is maybe a little harsh. We'll see how this turns out!
lozzabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 18:42   #14
kebab10
Premier Member

I bought my car from a dealer in Hedge End and so far ok. How is the repair going on your car? Go on name them, discretely if you like.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 10:29   #15
rbrantgurga

On the other hand, driving for any length of time with a fully clogged dpf can eventualy result in permanant filter damage, resulting in at least a new dpf filter being required, (at great cost).
rbrantgurga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 10:30   #16
kebab10
Premier Member

Hopefully wont have got to this situation so easier on the pocket. Am right in thinking the DPF was a stupid politically motivated way to cut the so called greenhouse emissions?
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:58   #17
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
Am right in thinking the DPF was a stupid politically motivated way to cut the so called greenhouse emissions?
By my understanding the DPF slightly increases greenhouse emissions - from the simple fact that it worsens fuel consumption, and additionally because it converts carbon particulate matter from the exhaust, which is not a greenhouse gas, into carbon dioxide, which is.

The aim of DPFs was to reduce particulate emissions which are associated with some health conditions. But since we are told greenhouse emissions are the major threat we all face, and if DPFs make that worse, it could well be argued to have been a "stupid politically motivated" idea.

In fairness to the politicians however I would imagine they merely mandated that particulate matter be reduced, without specifying the method. It would then be the motor industry that decided that DPFs, even though the technology may be flawed and bad for the planet (if you believe what we're told), allowed them to get the required 'tick in the box' for low particulates.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 15:25   #18
kebab10
Premier Member

Dont believe what any politician has to say ever. Always look after No 1. As for the motor industry, ho many ex politicains have made money out of stupid decisions like DPF. I would personally like to see the sidelight/headlight switch altered.

Why not just have a lights on lights off switch. No messing about with cars in fog or heavy rain driving around with sidelights on!
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 14:07   #19
kebab10
Premier Member

Any news yet on the DPF issue? Lots here waiting to find out if it was successful.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:44   #20
Samiwagon

Default Dpf

Hi Guys, please read other threads concerning Diesel Particle Filters. They are causing so many problems, some of which are far reaching and very expensive. I am not just talking Volvo here, all the major manufacturers are having problems. Back pressure seems to be blocking EGR valves and high temperature soot particles damaging spindle bearings in Turbo's. I have a had the DPF's on my vehicles removed by a well known Stainless Steel Exhaust company who re-mapped them too. The results are as follows: More bhp, torque and better mpg, this useless bit of kit costs you money every time you turn the key and will cost you dear in the future.
Samiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote