Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of power when going over bumps

Views : 999

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 14:05   #1
tempest

Default Loss of power when going over bumps

Volvo 740 2.3 inj 1989 F reg B230E engine.

Intermittent problem with loss of power - engine splutters and tachometer suddenly drops revs to the point of almost stalling, but only under load when going over bumps. When this happens I push the clutch in and the engine revs ok. No problem starting and ticks over smoothly.

When the engine is cold there seems an almost imperceptible power loss under the same conditions until driven for a few miles and it then gets worse.

I have recently tried changing the air filter and the spark plugs to no avail. The fuel injection system is the mechanical type.

The key here seems to be the sudden movement when going over bumps on the road(no shortage of them!). I'm thinking fuel supply- maybe the in-tank fuel pump or electrical connections (the fuel gauge doesn't work properly so I keep the tank at least 3/4 full). Could be the main fuel pump not providing enough pressure (not sure where the pressure regulator is on the mechanical injection system). Fuel filter?

I had a problem with the fuel pump relay some years ago but a resolder solved that.

Any help would be appreciated.
tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 14:31   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Would be well worth checking your earth contacts in the engine bay especially those to the engine and in particular the alternator and starter earths.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 14:42   #3
tempest

Thanks for that Des. I will go and check now.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 15:22   #4
tempest

Hi Des

I've checked all the earths I can find back to the battery negative terminal and they are OK.

Going for the loose connection/component route sounds good to me.

The strange thing is that the engine revs fine even when the fault is occurring(with the clutch pushed in). If I release the clutch the fault continues. What I am not yet aware of is if the fuel pump noise changes in the the fault state. Being under pressure to drive at road speed prevents me form being able to be aware of everything which happens. Is their such a thing as a quiet road?
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 19:24   #5
tempest

I decided to have a look at the distributor cap and rotor and they seem ok but there is a connector and wiring, hall sensor? , which is refusing to go back into place. I presume it is meant to be held in place somehow by the distributor cap but it is in a place which is almost impossible to see.

I tried taking some images of the connector but even with a tiny camera it is not clear where it should go.

When I reconnected all the leads the car refused to start at all. I had marked all the leads to ensure they went back in the correct places and they are all pushed home firmly, and since I did not take the rotor arm off everything should have been as before (apart from the connector for the hall sensor).

I don't have the time to go through the spark test ATM but would this have anything to do with the hall sensor?
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 20:24   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

FAQ: Hall Sensor Info...

Should help.

The fuel pump is a possibility but a mere bump wouldn't, I think, deprive the engine of fuel to a point where it has an immediate effect. Certainly worth a check, even if to eliminate it from investigations...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 22:51   #7
RAW
VOC Member

Am I not right in sating that he fuel pumps in t etheae have two speeds. could it be that when going over bumps the pump is for some reason not running at the higher speed so the ending is starved if the necessary fuel to run unde load, but is still able to idle.

Richard

ps: on Reading this I've realised how silly it sounds and that it is somewhat unlikely! Oh well.
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 02:43   #8
danielm85948

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Volvo 740 2.3 inj 1989 F reg B230E engine.

Intermittent problem with loss of power - engine splutters and tachometer suddenly drops revs to the point of almost stalling, but only under load when going over bumps. When this happens I push the clutch in and the engine revs ok. No problem starting and ticks over smoothly.

When the engine is cold there seems an almost imperceptible power loss under the same conditions until driven for a few miles and it then gets worse.

I have recently tried changing the air filter and the spark plugs to no avail. The fuel injection system is the mechanical type.

The key here seems to be the sudden movement when going over bumps on the road(no shortage of them!). I'm thinking fuel supply- maybe the in-tank fuel pump or electrical connections (the fuel gauge doesn't work properly so I keep the tank at least 3/4 full). Could be the main fuel pump not providing enough pressure (not sure where the pressure regulator is on the mechanical injection system). Fuel filter?

I had a problem with the fuel pump relay some years ago but a resolder solved that.

Any help would be appreciated.
change the fuel pump relay it is only £18 new
danielm85948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 16:16   #9
tempest

I managed to start the car but the idle was very erratic. I tried moving the hall sensor connector which is hanging loose and it appeared to change the idle state which suggested to me either a bad connection or a wire shorting intermittently.

Having looked through the forum archive and found a similar problem reported of losing power over bumps when a wire attached to the hall sensor shorts I decided to remove the distributor for access to the terminal connector.

Unfortunately the strain on the terminal wires was too much and 2 broke off.
Having a close look at the wiring it looks like the red (+) wire had lost some of its insulation and maybe was shorting. The black wire is still intact but the green wire broke at the crimp on the terminal.

I have ordered a new connector housing off Ebay.

The problem I have now is splicing some new wire onto the green/brown signal wire and the red power supply wire and attaching these to the terminals in a way which is solid, insulated and resists vibration.

I have considered either soldering the end of the old wire to new wire and using epoxy to "pot" the joint or maybe use some heatshrink insulation. The terminals are a different problem since they are crimp on types. It was easy enough to remove them even with the barb retainer on them, but opening up the crimp is difficult.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 22:52   #10
tempest

Hi all, just to confirm I managed to replace the wiring in the distributor to the sensor and put it all back together.

Best I could do was solder the wires together as firmly as I could and insulate using electrical sleeving. The connector housing was delayed from Ebay so I decided to araldite the old connector in place.

Still working ok a year on.

Thanks for the help.