Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 B230k blew up

Views : 1216

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:46   #1
phil_uk

smoke screen from the back AND under the bonnet followed by lots of nasty expensive noises under load. is the engine worth rebuilding (its only done 150k)? should I get the V6 engine from the back garden, have that rebuilt and use that instead? can anyone recommend a decent mechanic in the egham area? (I dont have the time, the tools or the facilities to do it myself)
Old Sep 7th, 2002, 01:09   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 740 B230k blew up

First of all try to ascertain what has gone wrong. If the noises occur when vehicle is moving the trouble could emanate from the gearbox area. You did not say if auto or manual. Once you have an idea of what is wrong then you can decide what to do. I would go for either rebuild or replace engine (keep it the same or you will have trouble especially if you change the type of engine). You should find that whether rebuild or replacement you will get the best value for money and be able to keep motoring for at least another 150kmiles.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 14:48   #3
phil_uk

gitcher mowters runnin

The Man he say:

the 740 temp guage stopped working because of an airlock in the cooling system coupled with a lack of coolant. the problem started 2 years ago, and turned out to be nothing to do with the electrics behind the instrument panel. It remained undiagnosed until ...

... a smoke screen from the zorst, smoke curling up from under the bonnet when stopped at traffic lights, nasty expensive knocking noises under load (which was when I had the car towed to him for diagnosis); the engine had finally got ##### off with not having enough coolant and because I believed an electrical fault was stopping the temp guage from working I never suspected the cooling system

the effects: burnt a lot of engine oil, melted the knock sensor on the side of the block, made me buy a pushbike

the diagnosis: "You're lucky, mate, you've got away with it". The knocking was detonation, not big ends. head gasket still intact, compression normal. rad knacked, replace it along with knock sensor. add coolant & engine oil, pay The Man, and ...

head out on the highway ...

(but I'll still use the pushbike for work. I've GOT to lose weight somehow!)

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 16:23   #4
Dave M

Default "I'll name that Tune!!" Steppenwolf or

Blue Oyster Cult - Born to be Wild ( What??? On a push bike "Git outta here!!) :-)

Still "Lookin' Fur' Adventure" was the wrong way to go about it in a B230k Engine :-)

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:39   #5
phil_uk

Default RE: "I'll name that Tune!!" Steppenwolf or

Right first time Dave. Maybe it's showing my age but the Steppenwolf original is the only one I'm aware of, although it doesn't surprise me that other groups have covered it.

"Nobody gonna take my car I'm gonna race it to the ground ...
... ooh, it's a killin' machine, big fat tyres an' everything ..."

Stay cool