Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 (07 old model) Handbrake Adjustment

Views : 11598

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:49   #11
Stevepvolvo

Smile

Absolutely excellent guide - thank you for pointing me to it :-)
I agree that the 14th is some way off and I may have been lucky to survive the Austria trip.
I wont be using the car this week so this may be a
weekend job once I check I have a 7mm Allen Key
Many thanks
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 20:59   #12
Stevepvolvo

Unhappy

Adding this note here as on another thread the cure was possibly associated with the handbrake so am interested in whether there is a connection. Had some new tyres all round fitted 4 weeks ago (pirelli scropion str as on original fitment), since then intermittently I get a strong vibration through the car that dissapears after 5 to 10 mins or when turning a corner. From other threads there was mention that one person cured this by adjusting the handbrake play (and mine is not well in that department) and others found it was front drive shaft play.
Anyone else think it is handbrake related or do I also need volvo to replace my driveshafts?
Car has only done 34K - Have I got a pup :-( - would have been cheaper to fly to Austria after all these repairs!!
Note - have had the tyres balance checked today and adjusted although they could not find much of a problem and I tested the car and vibration still occuring

Last edited by Stevepvolvo; Mar 1st, 2011 at 21:01.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:58   #13
Lozza
Events occur in real time

I wouldn't worry about vibrations and driveshafts until you've sorted your handbrake and associated components. Each time you drive that car you could be sitting on a huge bill when those components decide to 'let go' completely.

Sort that issue yourself first, don't drive the car. If you've worked on cylinder heads and CV joints in years gone by, believe me, you can do this job. The design of these drum park brakes is from the dark ages anyway and really has nothing to do with a 'modern car'.

Haynes do a manual no 4263 which whilst it doesn't cover the XC in particular, does cover the V70 from '00 - '07 (V - 07 reg). So many components are the same it would be worth while you getting this for doing basic tasks like brakes and how to jack the car up. You'll see so many procedures in there that really can apply to your XC and prove a good point of reference.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:20   #14
Stevepvolvo

Thanks for the reply. As recommended by many on this thread, I am now not waiting until the 14th and I am scheduled to attack the handbrake this weekend. I did see the haynes manual for the v70 and have ordered one as I thought that may assist in quite a lot on the car even though it doesn't deal with the xc70 specifics. So your recommendation to purchase is appreciated.
I will report back my findings for those who are interested