Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE - Changing your oil

Views : 3921

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:07   #11
JSeaman

Step 31 - Now it's time to pop the undertray back on (picture 1), and it's best to insert the two lugs at the front first (picture 2). Simply push in the lugs that hold the undertray in place-this is much easier than removing them!

Step 32 - If you can get an old camping water bottle or something similar then you can drain your oil into this with a funnel and then you only need to get rid of it every 5-10 oil changes. Please do dispose of it in a sensible manner, you can't just flush this down the drains. Your local tip and even some supermarkets have oil bins which you can use for free.

Last edited by JSeaman; Aug 28th, 2007 at 08:49.
JSeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSeaman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:08   #12
JSeaman

You are supposed to check again after a day or two to make sure you don't have any leaks but I've done countless changes now and not once found a leak that wasn't there immediately. For peace of mind you could do this in which case I'd suggest removing the final lug of the undertray and not refitting it until you do your double check.

Final tip - fairy liquid is a detergent and sugar is an abrasive. Use these two together and you have your very own cleansing agent which easily rivals swarfega! It's great for removing oil and dirt if you didn't use gloves like I did!

Last edited by JSeaman; Aug 28th, 2007 at 08:50.
JSeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:40   #13
JSeaman

I checked price and part numbers for an oil filter from Volvo yesterday : Oil 1275810, £7.16 inc VAT

A couple of pounds extra for the Volvo part. I'll continue to use Fram but you can decide for yourself

Cheers

James
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 02:51   #14
mharriso
Master Member

Cheers james, photo how too's are always good for Newbie....

Its always good to do a full engine bay degrease before you do this sort of work too... way cleaner to work on, and easier to spot any other potential problems which are most often picked up when carrying out standard service interval items. Being enthusiasts too it gives most another thing to keep clean....

Good job, keep them coming... when you get to the engine de-coke and belats replacement PM me i will deffo wann read....
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:35   #15
JSeaman

Yep, the cleaner the better - I touched on that in the guide but didn't think people would be up for a full engine degrease when doing an oil change! If they are then great.

My cam belt doesn't need doing for 50k so you might be in for a bit of a wait unless it snaps
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:54   #16
Mutley1

Could we get all these guides put into a sticky please Mr Mod?
Mutley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:58   #17
JSeaman

I think they prefer for me to use the articles section but I'm trying to get a single links page set up as a sticky if possible
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 17:26   #18
nconroy1

Smile Thanks for guide

First oil and filter changed completed on my v40 thanks to your lovely guides. Never serviced car before but this forum and your great guides gave me the confidence to do so. Its amazingly easy on the v40 and did the airfilter aswell. Just need a torx screwdriver to change spark plugs and jobs a good one.
Hopefully my Skoda will be as easy!!!
Thanks again
nconroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote