Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is it?

Views : 783

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 12:16   #1
bdwyer

Hello

Couple of simple question that i need help with.

1) Under the drivers wing at the front there is a black cylinder that has a pipe going into it and out at the top.

What is it?

I think the pipe that goes into it may be from the screen wash pump for the rear window, i may be wrong as i haven't had a proper look.
Had a quick scan through the (not as good as normal) haynes book but couldn't see anything.

2) Electric windows. my car isn't posh enough to come with fancy windows but i just found one that was sitting in my local scrap yard.
both cars are M reg's. is it just a case of taking the window motor, switches and door cover from the donor car and chucking them in my motor or do i have to extract the wiring looms and everything.

3) Last question. I'm trying to remove the rear light covers from my donor car as they have the clear indicator covers. i've unscrewed the four nuts and tried to push the unit out but it doesn't want to leave. has anyone who's done this sort of thing before got any hints and tips on the best way to do this without resulting in tears when the lense cracks.

cheers

;-)
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 19:21   #2
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: What is it?

Hi.

1-I think this may be an ABS unit. My handbook shows one, but my car doesn't have one. Don't take this as gospel, im no guru!

2-As your car doesn't have electric windows, i think i'd go as far as saying you would probably need to get the wiring looms out. I wanted to put electric rear windows in mine, but after i got the doors off the donor car, i couldn't figure out where the wires were going to without dimantleing the entire interior, and if i needed to do that to get them out, i wasn't going to do it to mine o get them in!

3-Pure muscle is what got my rear clusters out of the other car. They are difficult, but will come out. You will need to push them out from the inside of your boot. And push them from the outer edge (the end in the boot closest to the part of the lens that wraps round the corner of the exterior). If you try and force them out from the end closest to the middle of the boot, when they do come out, they will probably just go flying and you will snap the bit of the lens that wraps round (thats what i done to the first pair i tried to get out). It is bloody hard,but they will come out! When they go in, you must make sure all the black seal is there, and possibly go around the outside of the seal with some silicone mastic. My passenger cluster let in water, which ran through my boot and into the rear footwells-not good! It stopped after i added the mastic.

Hope that made some kind of sense...if it didn't, let me no, i may have some pictures i can load up.

Later,
Dan M
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 20:41   #3
bdwyer

Dan

Thanks for that.
My car does have ABS so that rules that one out.

I'm going to have a look this weekend if the wife lets me, i still think its something to do with the rear screen washer or it may be to do with the fuel injection system (my engine B18U has a solenoid valve, charcoal absorbption canister according to the haynes manual and the drawning looks a bit like what i have found).
Anyone got any idea what this lovely device is and what it does.
there isn't any meantion of it in the manual.

I'll go and give the lenses another go, did you push on the plastic unit itself or did you push on the bolts or on both at the same time.

cheers

Brian
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 18:33   #4
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

If i remember rightly, i may have very accuratley taken a hammer to the bolts, and just hammered them (not too hard) to free them up a little. I'm not claiming to be a muscle man :P-if i remember rightly, i nearly thought sod it and gave up, but they did come out mainly through pushing. Try knocking the bolts, and then pushing. You could always wedge some cloth over the holes where the bulbs go, get a block of wood, and hammer the wood from the inside(again, not too hard though!). They will require a fair bit of force... I can't be anymore help than that-sorry!

Good luck!
Dan M
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:22   #5
bdwyer

Dan

Thanks again.

going to have to leave the lenses where they are as my volvo is now offically dead (if you want them its a scrap yard down in warrenby near redcar, they're in really good condition)

Took her for a MOT only to be told my suspension and steering needs replacing as they're knackered and my cat's also dead and needs to be re-newed.

off to find a newer car now.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 13:02   #6
5lab

front wishbones was it? went on me dads (93/k) a year ago..

wheres redcar? need some panels for a red 440
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 13:04   #7
5lab

oh found it. heheh. not that near devon then. so never mind :)
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 18:48   #8
drivesavolvo

Hi there, help is at hand. the answers to your questions are :-

1) The large black cylindrical box is approx 6 inches tall and 4 or 5 inches diameter. If this is what your asking about it is a carbon canister. This helps with the running of the engine as it measures the amount of carbons that is being released by the engine and sends a signal to the main electronic control unit to adjust the fuel levels of the vehicle.

2) To fit electric windows you will need 2 x motor units. 1x set of switches. 2 x wiring harness and 2 x door interior cards. the door cards are different for electric models compared to manual window models. I can assure you the fitting is not an easy task, i would charge about £100.00 just for the labour to fit these.

3) Removal of the rear lights is quite simple if you can soften the bonding mastic that holds them to the car. I usually use petrol brushed all round the lamps then give it ten minutes or so to soak in, then re apply more petrol and try to push the lamps from the inside with the handle of a good hammer or a block of wood.

Hope this helps with your questions.
drivesavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote