Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel consumption 1994 850 glt auto estate 140k

Views : 1872

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 19:14   #11
jules t5

Default RE: fuel consumption 1994 850 glt auto estate 140k

im sure rolls were far to busy keeping the merlins performance comparable to the dailmer benz and bmw engines to worry to much about such a half baked idea, allthough no doubt peter will assure us the great improvements made to the merlins peformance from 39 -45 were in no small way thanks to these amazing whirly magnet thigimebobs!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 19:23   #12
fwb44

Genius and eccentricity are close relations ...
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 21:02   #13
sholtby
Premier Member

I'm a maintenance engineer on a large army camp and we had 'magnets' fitted to the incomming gas supplies of each barracks to 'align the gas molecules' and improve efficiency. We checked the meter readings and it made no difference. I can only think that it was near the end of the tax year and the quartermaster had some money he had to spend. He usually retarmacs the parade ground, asks us to resubmit the bills twice etc..
When I had my Audi I used to post on a forum and one guy there had a garage and approached a company selling these 'magnets' as a potential agent for them. What he found was that the customer would bring his car in and you would fit the magnet to the fuel line. Then you would adjust the fuel mixture as weak as possible. The customer would notice improved fuel economy but it wasnt due to any fuel saving magnets.
The basic flaw is that petrol isnt in anyway magnetic.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:28   #14
twinturbo

Minor particulates of ferous material are though, and they would probably quite hapily stick to the magnets and fuuuur up the fule line.

TT
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:31   #15
lefouanglais

In *theory* the magnets should improve efficiency as it polarises the molcules, which is supposed to make the fuel more receptive to oxygen and therefore improves the combustion.

*However* in reality by the time the fuel gets to the stage of combustion the molecules have already randomised again and hence it makes no difference at all!

You can easily make one of these yourself for a few quid - Neodyme magnets are best, you don't necessarily need two, just oppose one with a steel plate.

I have also heard (I kid you not!) that placing a strong magnet on a bottle of wine does the same job (aligns the molecules) and is supposed to improve the taste. I doubt there are many who could tell the difference tho.

Matt.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:19   #16
roscovolvo

The only thing wrong with putting magnets near fuel is that fuel is not able to be magnetised so therefore cant be polarized.

If fuel was affected by magnetism is would either be visibly attracted or repelled like metal filings

If it could be,and it did attract more oxygen atoms to the hydrocarbon molecule,wouldnt that have the effect of upsetting the fuel/air ratio and cause lean burn?

Its all a load of crap when you sit down and think about.

The only thing for sure is that a fool and his money is soon parted

Last edited by roscovolvo; Dec 29th, 2005 at 10:22.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:52   #17
peterelectric
VOC Member

Hi all

Thought this issue was long dead. I actually started another thread with these results, (with no mention of fuel saving devices at all) and don't actually understand why this old thread had restarted. I have posted this info because new or prospective owners often ask for actual mpgs, and that is what I have supplied for my car only. I get 25 mpg overall for my '94 850 Auto Estate (150k). I am interested what other people get as adverse performance can be an indicator of problems. I am always interested in other people's comments, that is what makes this forum such fun and interesting, and it does enhance my ownership experience. The advice I have received from other owners is quite frankly invaluable. I did not post the info as pro or con for magnets , or for any other type of economiser, and I agree that there are some right lulus of ideas out there. Frankly, as I originally said it is so subjective who can say what works except that the old advice is the best.. be easy on the right foot, brake well in advance, use good quality fuel (mine seems to run best on Shell ordinary unleaded) and keep the car serviced, and the tyres correctly inflated.

Regards to all

Last edited by peterelectric; Dec 29th, 2005 at 10:59.
peterelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:32   #18
roscovolvo

Unfortunately when you post a thread or make a statement it can go on forever with or without your permission,moderator permitting of course.

The fuel saver gadget industry have been fleecing motorsts for years and I like many others believe that fellow motorists need to be aware of this.

None of the fuel saver gadgets are really new ,they are just the same old bunkum rehashed and repackaged and unleashed in different markets at different times.

The evidence against these gadgets is overwhelming . Independant testing authorities overhwelmingingly condemn them as a waste of money around the world.
In fact the sure test of any device that offers to save you significant amonts of fuel ,is has it been tested by an independant authority with no interest either way?
Unfortunatey they all fail this simple test.

Please dont take it as a personal attack
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 14:11   #19
peterelectric
VOC Member

No offence taken..you pays your money and you takes your choice eh?

Peter

'94 850 GLT Estate Auto 150K
peterelectric is offline   Reply With Quote