Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 R-Sport in the Devon lanes

Views : 2182

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 19:58   #11
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: 360 R-Sport in the Devon lanes

Well I don't know quite what I can say to justify my actions without you guys thinking I'm not fully appriciating the risks. Fair point about the gateway, but in reality farmers know to emerge VERY slowly in such situations. 5mph...the road really isn't *that* bendy / blind. I guess you have to be there to appriciate it properly.

I best not tell you about the Civic Type R I won a drag race with today...(shock)

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 20:05   #12
pozzy

please, please, tell us james, i for one would just love to hear how you beat that r type
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 20:31   #13
Ross9
Master Member

C'mon James, don't take it the wrong way.

I would actually like to hear the tale of the Civic Type R, always nice to surprise people. I had one myself today at Crail, was doing some fine tuning after a good showing at TOTB last weekend, and destroyed a 2002 plate Ford Mustang Bullit GT 4.6 litre V8 by over 1.5 seconds up the crail strip, that said, the Rover is pulling 13.20 @ 110 these days, and still to have aftermarket ECU management fitted, is on standard ecu and map. But the guys face was a picture as I shot off, I got a good view as it was a left hooker and I was in theleft lane lol.

Seriously though, no offence or slight against yourself was intended, just my opinion on the matter which I'm sure we shoudl all just let drop.

So, this Type R, do tell :D

Ross
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 23:44   #14
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sure :)

13.2 @ 110...now that is impressive. What's the spec?

On with the story...:) I was following a friend in his 340 1.7 home from our meet this weekend, and we'd been obeying the limit, much to the annoyance of an older chap in a Civic Type R who was following me.

Off a roundabout into a derestricted dualled section, I went to go past my buddy and head for the horizon, and the Civic who'd clearly been bottling it up for the past 10 miles didn't like the idea of going second (in turn!), and made these feelings known by proceeding to tailgate me as I passed.

I presumed I was about to get a blasting, yet despite having a wide open dualled straight ahead of him (and holding an overtaking position), he failed to make ground. I'm struggling to believe that he didn't have the grunt, but he didn't fall back enough to make it look like he wasn't trying....very odd.

Anyway, despite the 'TYPE R' badge on the grille, he didn't get past the more subtle 'R' - and despite me not having VTEC, y0! Looking at the specs I should have been eaten alive...most odd.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:13   #15
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I just looked up the specs on a type R...
200 bhp @ 7400 rpm
145 lbft @ 5900 rpm

Exactly the same torque figure as me, but making its peak power at 7400 instead of 5500...that's where the 200bhp comes from - power being a function of RPM.

Or to put it another way, I now believe he was going for it. Marginally faster, but not enough to make the overtake. Now tell the average bloke in the pub that a 138bhp car is almost as quick as a 200bhp one...:)

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:11   #16
Ross9
Master Member

Yeah I'm never hugely impressed by the vtecs to be honest, they just don't have the torque to match their power, they can be quick but have a shorted power band and need serious revving to make the ground.

Nice show by yourself though, weight will have come into it as well, I dare say yours is a few kg lighter than a type R, new cars tend to be heavier than they look.

13.2 @ 110, spec, lots lol Not finished yet though, so going ok for an 11 year old Rover, get a cup of tea, heres the spec.

ENGINE

T16 turbo
Rebored
85mm 8.1:1 JE Forged Pistons
Polished and balanced crank
Piper 270 Cams
Mildy ported head
Skimmed head
Decked Block
Klinger Tri Layer steel HG
Pulsar Gti-R T28 Turbo
Dawes Manual Boost controller @ 17psi
FSE Fuel pressure regulator
Greddy Iridium plugs
Modified Pulsar GTi-R intercooler as FMIC
Custom 2.5" front pipe
Mongoose 2.5" de-cat
Mongoose 2.5" cat back system with 3.5" tailpipe
One Performance Catch tank
One Performance Ring earth kit
Roverdose Cold Air box
Warlboro High Flow fuel pump

TRANSMISSION
Rebuilt Gearbox with steel cage bearings and new TorSen diff
Helix 4 Paddle Clutch
Heavy duty Helix clutch cover

SUSPENSION

Koni adjustable dampers
H&R lowering springs (-35mm)
Poly Anti-Torque steer bushes

BRAKES
282mm front brake conversion (as big as will go under the 15's)
EBC Flat Discs (282mm from MG ZS 180)
EBC YellowStuff pads

WHEELS/TYRES
Standard Turbo wheels for road, Uniroyal Rain Sport tyres
5 spoke 220 GTI 15" wheels with Toyo R888 road legal slicks for track and 1/4

INTERIOR/ENTERTAINMENT/STYLING

Clear Side indicators
Kenwood Head Unit
Power Engineering Pillar mounted Boost Guage

Still got ECU management to sort out, most likely be 18psi and a proper map instead of a capped map sensor voltage and some fse fuel pressure fiddling like we're using just now, still managing a 12.6 AFR for the majority of the rev range at that though, tails off down to high 11's for the last 800rpm or so but its as good as I could get after a half hour on the road with Jacq driving and me using the wide band, after all we are just adjusting the base pressure in the rail for the standard ECU map.

Heres some vids it features in, the first is of this years Ten of The Best competition where I raced with the Rover team, Jacq filmed it and there are also some clips of other cars, my mates GTS pulling back a Viper to win at the end despte AFM problems, the final is on there at the end , all scottish I might add ;), Dee Ireland vs Kieth Cowie, 2 cars, 2000+ bhp allegedly (they've never been RR'd)

www.urbanracing.net/ross/totb4.wmv

and here is a comilation from Crail up here, fastest run of me on here is just a 13.4 @ 107, all the rest are slower, its varying spec throughout the year as we developed it, there are also a lot of clips of Jacqs S40 T4 in the 2nd vid as it gets faster through the year, it is down to 14.2 @ 101 now.

www.urbanracing.net/ross/ross2.wmv

and finally, pics, lol, sorry for the long post, I have a day off and am putting off dismantling the car to change the manifold gasket which is blowing slightly, needs alternator taking off, turbo off, etc, plus I'm in a good mood after yesterdays time so tend to ramble about the car even more than normal, sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, but seeing as its your thread and you asked I assumed it would be ok lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Ross9/brakes.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../catchtank.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s9/engine3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s9/Exhaust.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9/NewSpec3.jpg

Ross

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:13   #17
volvotuning

In defense of the VTEC, many people consider this engine to have a narrow power band due to the butt dyno feel, but in reality it actually has a power and torque band which is very close to ideal. Have a look at this chart. Notice the slight dip where the VTEC cams are changing.

http://www.dyno-tuning.com/dyno-tuni...civictyper.jpg

Adam.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:33   #18
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

That torque curve is nuts...it's almost a straight line! Mine comes onto the cam at around 125 lbft at 3 grand, so it's not bad in that respect either. Still, that vtec curve is nuts.

Ross...you sound like a perfect candidate for Megasquirt. Nice list of toys there...have you had it on the rollers at all?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164