Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how does S40 handle in snow/ice?

Views : 16752

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 13:22   #31
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Oh and those style conscious people will have a big problem with these things!!
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 14:30   #32
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Key thing to remember with these is that tarmac will eat them up. You use them to get off the snow but as soon as you hit clear road then you need to take them off. They are great for particular bits of road but not something to leave on all of the time.

Last year during the heavy snow spell of 2-3 weeks my car journey to work would have been as follows:

First 1/2 mile - socks essential
Next 6 miles - socks off
Next 4 miles - socks preferable but mix of ice and clear tarmac
Next 3 miles - not needed
last 1/2 mile - socks needed

The reality is that socks would have been brilliant for the first part of the journey but would have been eaten on the rest despite being needed at times. In this instance winter tyres were needed but not bought. Socks are a great product for immediate problems but unfortunately not a replacement for winter tyres if you need to do decent sized journeys. (sorry if everyone knew this already but it is worth knowing before you go out and buy a set)
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 15:28   #33
N2STY

its more of a get me out of trouble and a handy thing to keep with spare wheel
N2STY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 15:37   #34
Harvey1512
Premier Member

In that case they are ideal, just what they are designed for.

I did not want to sound too negative in my comments as they are a great product, it was just a warning in case people thought of them as something they could put on in December and take off in March.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 13:16   #35
adam020290

I had an MGF in the bad snow last year, was first time iv driven in bad snow like that but i loved it lol, mgf is rear wheel drive n has wider tires on the back too, only time i had a problem was when i was going up a bridge and a woman in a mondeo decided to break half way up for no reason at all so i had to drop a gear or wud have stalled and back end came out so ended up going up the bridge sideways behind her lol was fun but thought i would slide back down.

like people say, its the driver more then the car, i didnt have any problems getting anywhere and the car wasnt rly suitable for the weather but coped well
adam020290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 18:13   #36
faffi
Motorcyclist

Had my first outing in my new S40 yesterday - and came away impressed The car doesn't even have great tyres for the conditions; the Michelin Alpin A4 are more suitable on wet and dry roads than on proper winter roads.

Temps were around 0C, with -3 being the coldest and +1 the highest. It was snowing heavily enough at times that it was problematic to use high beam; it looked like a white wall ahead.

I still continued to drive in the 50-60 mph zone that is the speed limit, even around bends. There was never a hint of the car lacking grip apart from when passing slower cars on the two-lane country roads, when it would try to spin up in 4th and even 5th gear without too much throttle when crossing the centre section covered in thick snow. But it was gentle and the only sensation it was happening was the lamp flashing in the instrument console. If I had floored it, I suspect the traction control would have intruded noticeably.

It will be interesting to see how it goes over the winter, when hill starts on icy roads will be required, but so far, so good
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 20:59   #37
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Default Snow Socks - be prepared this time!

I'm really getting prepared this time. Last year was a disaster and I abandoned the car to walk home through a blizzard with only my work suit on.
I have a shovel in the car (no not to bury the missus- that idea never crossed my mind!), warm clothing, torch, and a pair of snow socks and of course the mobile phone. Might also get one of those plug in travel kettles, a few tea bags, flask of non alcaholic beverage and my army sleeping bag - set for the night!

I really thought I was knackered when I couldnt get home last year. We rely on our cars so much these days - be prepared this winter!

The snow socks have excellent reviews and will help a great deal.

Any other suggestions welcome as I feel we are in for another harsh winter and I wouldnt want anyone to suffer what I went through.

regards
J
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 21:15   #38
faffi
Motorcyclist

Although it's been cold as hell here lately, with as low as minus 16C, the roads locally have remained dry. This has prevented me from giving the car a real winter test, like hill starts in 10 inches of snow or driving on black ice. The one drive I did in the snow was promising, however, and I must expect the car to behave well under even severe conditions, regardless of what has been expressed in this forum. I just hope I don't have to prove myself wrong
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote