Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Last of the proper volvos

Views : 8340

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:42   #91
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rog View Post

A job is always better done when you have pride in your work.
A key point!
Remember when a group of 5 men and women built a 240 from scratch in the factory as a team in the 1970's ? what pride they must have had then ....
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:26   #92
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjck_uk View Post
neither do any of my 3 volvo's ive pulled fuses and cut wiring to stop the god awful things so i save fuel ,have less bulbs to change and plod can't pull me on a sunny day for a bulb gone
Me too,recently de-D/R/Lighted "Hector the 960",with the help of treehornsdogsbody,easy job on my P reg.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:53   #93
Lloydnoise

Default ' Eye catching ' !

Hi ,...'good thread & nice to hear such diversity.

I'm searching for a Volvo at the moment aaaaahhhhhhh ,.....it's a minefield ..
...i wish as many would appear ' up here ' in Scotland as i see in England .

Not being mechanically minded & coming from the perspectives of ....

Feel / Safety / Workability / Individuality / Design classics / luxury / Space / Solidity / Practicality / Security , ......& the wonderful 'effect' the 'Zen like' cabin & interior have with regard to one's ' calmness & measured approach to driving ',....i'd have to say the 700 & 900 series .

I've only owned 'one' Volvo & was totally smitten & enthralled by it's effect on myself / the kids, & other people who sat in her ,.....
...' sure ' she guzzled petrol ,..but you can't have eve'rything ,......
especially from such a long distant runner ! ha ha .

I still miss her ( 740GL 2,0 litre Auto H reg ) 'to this day' ! .........
......& look forward to gliding along in my new purchase watching the world go 'mad' & go by ! Aaaaahhhhh , ha ha .

Mail me please if you know of one !

Positives , Lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "

Last edited by Lloydnoise; Aug 21st, 2010 at 09:56.
Lloydnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:31   #94
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Lloyd,just think of what Migrators Mum used to say,whats ment for you, wont pass you by,theirs one out there for YOU there somewhare mate,keep on trucking.
Foreget Matey who let you down that sort of person wont loose any sleep over it,neither should you,reguards Malcolm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toplights For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:43   #95
Lloydnoise

Default For Malcom .

Thanks malcom ,..yeah i'm 'just' starting to calm down re this,.. & refrained from calling the muppet who did it !

The negative usually comes first ,...wisdom takes a little bit of reasoning & work ,...but it's worth it !

Eyes peeled , ha ha .

Lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "

Last edited by Lloydnoise; Aug 21st, 2010 at 10:55.
Lloydnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 18:33   #96
Hezi
VOC Member

The XC90 is definately a Volvo!
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 19:53   #97
Guy Incognito

I had a 440 which was within the period of "proper volvoness" and a V40 also from that era.
Between the two i had an 89 760 GLE with all the toys and I have to say i loved it. Having said that the cooling pipes were all rotten and it was going to cost about the same as the car was worth to rplace them, then the exhaust went, the ariel wouldnt work...........
I now have the V70 Classic 2000 model and it ticks all the boxes for me. i dont drive it hard enough to tell which end is powered, the seats are excellent, there is enough room for a weeks camping for the family and it does circa 33mpg with the 140 5cylinder engine.
It is far safer than any Volvo before it nad having seen the crash test between a Tiny renault summat and a 9 or 760 on 5th gear there is no way i would go back to one with my daughter in the car.
Volvoness to me is how they make you feel. In mine I feel happy and safe. I am comfortable and well catered for with equipment and if I have to move house I can fit a lot of stuff in it.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 21:14   #98
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rog View Post
Also I believe it is made and was engineered in Sweden. I knew a Swedish family once and they where very derogatory of the fact so much production had been moved overseas.

A job is always better done when you have pride in your work.
Volvo should be proud of the xc90 it is a design and build masterpiece which is still at top of the SUV sales charts with over eight years in production - I hope they can replicate this success story with new models in the future.

Last edited by chunderground; Aug 21st, 2010 at 21:22.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 00:00   #99
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezi View Post
The XC90 is definately a Volvo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
Volvo should be proud of the xc90 it is a design and build masterpiece which is still at top of the SUV sales charts with over eight years in production - I hope they can replicate this success story with new models in the future.
It's ironic that some of the best cars the company ever produced were done before Ford got properly involved. It is these cars (P2 S60, XC90 etc) that the general public think Ford were responsible for when in fact they weren't.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 23:54   #100
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvophile View Post
It's ironic that some of the best cars the company ever produced were done before Ford got properly involved. It is these cars (P2 S60, XC90 etc) that the general public think Ford were responsible for when in fact they weren't.
Design teams were restricted by the ford accountants. Even safety features came under presure from from the ford accountants. Engineers at volvo had to fight to retain the high strength roof in the xc90, of course any worthwhile safety feature carries a cost but remove all the added safety costs and you are left with something similar to a Ford.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote