Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Day Running Lights (DRL)

Views : 12721

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 14:30   #31
Jay

I also stressed that i wanted to speak with the Underwriters to confirm what she was saying is correct in the event of a claim. I initially spoke with an advisor and then to her superior - she said that the phones were recorded that lights is not classed as a modification by direct line.

As far as a understand modification is something that improves the look or performance of the car. To date there is no wordings to say that by removing a safety device will incur extra premium. It is also factored into the premium whether you have the drl or disabled - it makes no differece. It is classed as an option you can have but obviously Volvo Uk would like you to maintain their brand awareness with the drl.

I appreciate your concern but i will be surprised in such a regulated industry that if you have the drl disabled by the manufacture that in the event of a claim the insurance company will not pay out. Royal Sun Alliance confirmed that premium is unchanged whether you have drl or not.

I am still to find out which insurance company will charge or invalidate your insurance for disabling drl.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 16:16   #32
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Just to prove my point...

Phoned direct line and asked for a quote... When asked the question about mods, I said "Yes, I have had the factory fitted daytime running lights disabled" She took a little more info, and then referred to an underwriter... She returned with "Sorry we are unable to offer cover due to the modification"

Anyone else care to try?

Jay - I presume you spoke to a "sales advisor" and not an underwriter or claims handler? In which case, I would specifically ask for the policy schedule to be endorsed with details of the mod.

Mike

Edit
Indeed, have just followed this up with a call to Volvo Cars UK Customer Service (NOT a dealer) She put me on hold whilst she checked with vehicle supply and confirmed that Volvo UK WILL NOT supply a vehicle to a dealer with the DRL's turned off - If that dealer subsequently disables them, they are liable for any issues or problems caused - VCUK have strict guidelines on this, and as said previously, this is why an approved used Volvo will (or should) ALWAYS be supplied with the DRL's active....

Don't want to sound pedantic, but I knew I was correct.

Mike
A friend of mine working in the insurance sector spoke direct with a major underwriter – they have confirmed to him that lights comes under the terms of lighting modification and whether you disable day running lights or the underwriter used an example of adding blue lights underneath the car the change is noted on policy. Does not invalid your insurance policy it is noted on policy or added on. Car enthusiast can spend thousands on lighting which could increase the value and impact the premium hence the reason why it is noted in the event of a claim. Likewise if you add a tow bar, dvd player you need to inform your insurance co.

Please let me know contact names of insurance or underwriters that will invalid your policy because you have switched off a standard lighting specification at the time of ordering a new car or switch off by an authorised dealer. I will be surprised if a major insurance policy will charge extra or invalid policy for switching off DRL.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 20:23   #33
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Please let me know contact names of insurance or underwriters that will invalid your policy because you have switched off a standard lighting specification at the time of ordering a new car or switch off by an authorised dealer. I will be surprised if a major insurance policy will charge extra or invalid policy for switching off DRL.
ANY insurer CAN and WILL void for ANY undisclosed modification - End of, it's std industry practice. IF your insurer has agreed to insure a modified vehicle, then make sure you get it in writing - I however would be surprised, that if in the event of a claim, it does not cause problems, even if they know about it.

Claims handlers have differing levels of authority when it comes to the value of claims they handle, if it is estimated that it will exceed their level of authority, it will be passed up to someone else, as it gets higher, then more detailed investigation will be done, and that's when the fun starts.....

Much more concerning, is that VCUK have said that they will not supply a car to the dealer network with the DRL's deactivated, and there words to me about dealers deactivating them, was "it's not permitted"

Also as prev mentioned, your car will no longer meet whole vehicle type approval...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 09:56   #34
chumley
operation1

cambridgeshire police's v70 t5 traffic cars all have the DLR switched off !
chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 16:25   #35
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Why pay to get the lights switched off, or risk affecting the insurance?

All you have to do is drive with the headlight switch in the centre position, that way the DRLs will be switched off.

You are actually breaking the law as it is illegal to drive with just sidelights, but you are unlikely to get pulled for this very minor infringement.

easy way to keep everyone happy
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 22:39   #36
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
cambridgeshire police's v70 t5 traffic cars all have the DLR switched off !
he police volvos do as when they do survelance work they need ignition on and engine running for some purposes and obviously dont want to draw attention to themselves !

Anyway what do you think of all these german cars with their ultra bright LED running lights appearing now?
It reminds me of 1976 all over again when the volvo 244/245/260 range first had PROPER dedicated running lights .. .. IF volvo went back to this there would be no problems . Lets see what the next model year next june brings regarding volvo day running lights , will they ditch using dip beam at last ?? The xc60 and S40/V50 now have LED front side lights so maybe they will just brighten them up .. The latest Citroen models have running lights built into the headlamp housings but the bulb holders are blanked off for this year. They will wait until they are forced to use them it seems ...