Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual Gearbox Oiling

Views : 2684

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2010, 22:20   #1
SwedishInside

Post Manual Gearbox Oiling

Hi, is there any way I can check/top-up my gearbox oil?
I have a manual gearbox and it feels rather clunky through the gears as if there is absolutly no oil at all. Its not stiff (like a gearbox problem), its just not as smooth as I would like.

Would this stuff help: Mos2 Gear Oil

Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2010, 23:11   #2
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi,

if it were me I'd shell out for genuine Volvo - I don't think it's a lot more per litre than that product, and you'd know it was the right lubricant for the box.

You could top it up yourself if you're DIY minded. Technically, finding the right level should mean removing the nearside driveshaft but I think you could make do with the upper filling plug. If you do, you should get a new crush washer from Volvo.

You can see that plug to the right of the driveshaft, above the droplink:

You could fill it through there also, using a funnel and some clear piping, or if you have the patience, you can fill it through here:

or the the reverse sensor switch hole:

Here's the before and after in case you were wondering!

HTH, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2010, 00:06   #3
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

why not just remove the top level plug,easy to get at,the drive shaft does not need removing,then top up until the oil spills out then wait until the oil stops flowing then fit the plug with a new washer.

its possible filling through them holes but if you don't know the correct quantity after you have drained then there is a problem, also with there be a sealing issue if topped up through these areas ?

which are not recommended by Volvo.
Old May 24th, 2010, 00:59   #4
thealchemyst
Master Member

DONT bother trying to fill or refill through the gearchange linkage as its not designed for it and will take forever the reverse switch is easy enough or you could just use the correct filling plug with some hose and a funnel.
if your faffing around with it you might aswell drain the old oil out and refill with fresh oil.
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thealchemyst For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2010, 23:15   #5
SwedishInside

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Hi,

if it were me I'd shell out for genuine Volvo - I don't think it's a lot more per litre than that product, and you'd know it was the right lubricant for the box.

You could top it up yourself if you're DIY minded. Technically, finding the right level should mean removing the nearside driveshaft but I think you could make do with the upper filling plug. If you do, you should get a new crush washer from Volvo.

You can see that plug to the right of the driveshaft, above the droplink:

You could fill it through there also, using a funnel and some clear piping, or if you have the patience, you can fill it through here:

or the the reverse sensor switch hole:

Here's the before and after in case you were wondering!

HTH, Pete
Thanks for this excellent writeup, your correct about using the genuine Volvo stuff
Old May 25th, 2010, 00:00   #6
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

if the gear change is clunky then it could be dragging clutch.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:55   #7
SwedishInside

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
if the gear change is clunky then it could be dragging clutch.
Naa, my clutch is 100% perfect. The not so smoothness is really when the car is cold but as the car has warmed up the (putting into gear) changes are smoother, but not a smooth as i would like.

I don't know, maybe this is normal and I am fussing for nothing.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:31   #8
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

there should be noticeable difference hot or cold with the gear change,when engaging 1st gear if its stiff to get in try with the engine switched of to see if it improves the selection,if it does there's slight clutch drag.

certainly worth checking/changing the gearbox oil though.
Old May 25th, 2010, 13:52   #9
SwedishInside

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
there should be noticeable difference hot or cold with the gear change,when engaging 1st gear if its stiff to get in try with the engine switched of to see if it improves the selection,if it does there's slight clutch drag.

certainly worth checking/changing the gearbox oil though.
Its never been stiff to get into any gear... It just feel like there is more metal to metal contact rather than metal to oil contact.
Thanks for your advise though.

Tags
gearbox oil transmission