Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

So, Are You A Stereotype??

Views : 9432

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 22:05   #41
James A
VOC Member

I'm not your average Volvo estate driver by any means - I don't own Labradors, wear green wellies, live in Surrey or tow a caravan
2014-Date: 1992 940SE Turbo automatic estate 'Wentworth' - The Wentworth

Last edited by James A; Apr 13th, 2010 at 22:09.
James A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 22:19   #42
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
Stereotyping is for philistines.

Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven.
That is one of the best quotes I have heard in a long time!!
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:34   #43
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz View Post
Those are just the tip of an almighty 20,000 high album iceberg!!!!! From the classics Like Zep, floyd, sabbath, skynrd, to the hair years, crue, skid row, maiden, queensryche to the funk metal era, primus, faith no more, RHCP to early thrash, anthrax, morbid angel, slayer, obituary, onslaught to the new metal revolution linkin park, papa roach, slipknot into the pop punk blink 182, good charlotte, an offshoot into ska punk, less than jake, reel big fish, catch 22, through to emo/screamo, funeral for a friend, alesana, Attack attack! to name but a very few!!!
I can't even begin to match that! Zeppelin and Floyd are two of my favourite bands; i've heard bits and pieces from some of the other bands you mention, and like what i've heard (Sabbath, Skynrd, Maiden), and some of the others i've never even heard of! Then again, i'm into other stuff as well as metal, e.g. Beatles, Free, Genesis, Yes, Moody Blues, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Leonard Cohen, Peter Gabriel, Nick Drake, Here And Now, New Age Steppers, Mostly Autumn, Goldfrapp, Bat For Lashes, Elbow..... plus World Music, Folk, Jazz, Classical - there's just so much out there. One of my mates and i meet up several times a year and just spend the whole day listening to each other's music, sometimes until gone 4 the following morning (with plenty of beer of course)! There's just so much out there, you could spend a lifetime and maybe never hear the piece of music which, if you were aware of it, would be your 'best in the world'. Maybe it's lying there, undiscovered, in some farflung country.....
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:40   #44
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
Stereotyping is for philistines.

Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
That is one of the best quotes I have heard in a long time!!
This is very true - we are all individuals. But unfortunately some people don't make full use of their individuality, choosing to follow the herd instinct instead.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:51   #45
Jaymz
N3RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
I can't even begin to match that! Zeppelin and Floyd are two of my favourite bands; i've heard bits and pieces from some of the other bands you mention, and like what i've heard (Sabbath, Skynrd, Maiden), and some of the others i've never even heard of! Then again, i'm into other stuff as well as metal, e.g. Beatles, Free, Genesis, Yes, Moody Blues, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Leonard Cohen, Peter Gabriel, Nick Drake, Here And Now, New Age Steppers, Mostly Autumn, Goldfrapp, Bat For Lashes, Elbow..... plus World Music, Folk, Jazz, Classical - there's just so much out there. One of my mates and i meet up several times a year and just spend the whole day listening to each other's music, sometimes until gone 4 the following morning (with plenty of beer of course)! There's just so much out there, you could spend a lifetime and maybe never hear the piece of music which, if you were aware of it, would be your 'best in the world'. Maybe it's lying there, undiscovered, in some farflung country.....
I think Ive got pretty much an album by most of those artists apart from New Age steppers, Mostly autumn and Bat for Lashes, will check them out

1997 V70 2.5 20v CD 170bhp called eVolvobot
Showroom Thread || Project Thread || Volvo artwork thread
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:55   #46
froggyted
Master Member

New Age Steppers: a pretty obscure psychedelic reggae/dub band from the 1980s. The album i would recommend (if you can get hold of it!) is Action Battlefield. I paid about £29 on Amazon for it, mainly for the track Guiding Star. An acquired taste though!

Mostly Autumn: this band has been in existence since about 1998 and are currently touring - see http://mostly-autumn.com. If you miss them they will almost definitely tour again during the autumn. Their genre can loosely be described as rock music imbued with elements of folk-rock; their excellent lead guitarist Bryan Josh has been likened to Dave Gilmour, and although they write their own material they have also released an album of Floyd covers. They have links with Ritchie Blackmore, and Ritchie's son Jonathan was in the drumseat for a while, and is featured on the album The Last Bright Light, which is a great place to start getting to know the band.

Bat For Lashes are a contemporary pop band with an interesting Asian twist. I discovered them last year on Jules Holland's show, and they played Glastonbury later in the year. The only album i currently have of theirs is Two Suns, which is quite inventive.

Another great artist worth checking out is Dave Matthews Band: last year's Big Whiskey And The Groogrux King is excellent, and received rave reviews.

Check out the reviews for these artists on Amazon and i-tunes, but it's probably best to PM me if you want to discuss further (we're straying WAY off-topic! ;-) ). Still, i've got bored talking about BMW drivers.....

Last edited by froggyted; Apr 14th, 2010 at 14:04.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:06   #47
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post

I'll take on anyone with Daytime running lights, on principle.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:24   #48
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSH View Post
Blimey, some real pent up aggression going on in here!

Yes there is some really truly shocking driving on the roads nowadays. So much so, I've stopped riding road bikes in the UK now. I still have the use of one in the south of France where the traffic is much lighter, and people are in less of a rush to kill you.

And that to me is the main problem nowadays. Everyone seems in a mad rush.

The 'I'm late for work' brigade should get out of bed earlier. And is it really worth rushing home to sit and watch the TV? I do find it amusing to watch as I work permanent nights and I'm going in the opposite direction.

It's not just men either,there's an increasing number of aggressive women behind the wheel now too.
I watched an argument unfold the other night between 2 drivers on the way into work. The woman in a Audi A3, was hell bent on getting in the bootlid of the Jag in front, almost pushing the other car down the road. It soon developed into an all out drag race between traffic lights, and the langauge and gesturing from both parties left much to be desired. (Oh to have been a copper at this moment in time...) I do find it interesting how brave people get inside tin boxes. The woman in the Audi being a good example, quite obnoxious, loud and obscene with the abuse she was churning out.... until the man in the Jag had obviously had enough and got out. Then she just sat there and stared dead ahead with the doors locked.
The real funny part? For all the aggressive driving, drag racing antics, they had got no further down the road than I had.

Just chill out. They're not worth getting the blood pressure up for.

Rob
Sums modern Britain up nicely that. To paraphrase Monty Python's Life of Brian. What has the Corporate Bankster State ever done for us, besides making us into angry fearful debt slaves, filled only with our own self importance.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:30   #49
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
Sums modern Britain up nicely that. To paraphrase Monty Python's Life of Brian. What has the Corporate Bankster State ever done for us, besides making us into angry fearful debt slaves, filled only with our own self importance.
Very true, and very apt!

Tags
audi, bmw, hot-hatches, music, stereotype