Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen defrost failure

Views : 819

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 14:35   #1
gandalfs

Default Windscreen defrost failure

Hi all, I am a new member: I have a V70 petrol 20v 5 cylinder R reg (1996-97 I believe) I had an engine management light come on which was diagnosed as a faulty E.C.T. Sensor & Thermostat fault. Whilst waiting for repairs the Air-Con switchlight, which comes on when the screen defrost knob is selected stopped lighting-up: also the re-circulation switch light stopped working. The weather has been very cold and no heated air or come to that cold air either is reaching the windscreen. The E.C.T. Sensor & Thermostat have been replaced and test ok. The Air-Con still not coming on at defrost setting nor if manually selected, no air getting to the windscreen the cabin settings are blowing warm air though. Appologies for length of posting, garage mechanic thinks electrical issue and needs the car for couple of days to diagnose and order parts if required.
best regards
gandalfs
gandalfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 15:56   #2
andycallaghan
VOC Member

I trust you know that it's a demister, not a de-icer. You will only get warm air when the engines warm also.

But I guess what your problem is is that when the car is warmed, all vents except the screen blow warm? Am I correct?
andycallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:19   #3
gandalfs

Default V70 demist air-con issues

Hi Andy, yes I had warm / hot air out of all vents except the screen vents: recently had itlooked at by a volvo engineer who removed the control panel checked live & earths, could not find any problems! refitted the control panel and all ok? Anyway since then windscreen demist ok...

Engineer said the aircon compressor badly corroded and cost of new £300+ plus fitting say total £500.

Why are they so expensive?

thanks for the reply.
regards
michael
gandalfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:24   #4
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalfs View Post
Hi Andy, yes I had warm / hot air out of all vents except the screen vents: recently had itlooked at by a volvo engineer who removed the control panel checked live & earths, could not find any problems! refitted the control panel and all ok? Anyway since then windscreen demist ok...

Engineer said the aircon compressor badly corroded and cost of new £300+ plus fitting say total £500.

Why are they so expensive?

thanks for the reply.
regards
michael
Brand new compressors may be expensive - but new ones seem to be cheaper than that on ebay.

Plus you could always take a punt on a used one. I bought one from ebay for £20, reshimmed it, it's been on my car for months, working perfectly.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 19:58   #5
jaytee
Jim

It may be that the actuator motor for the flap that sends all the warm air to the screen vents is faulty or seized. Or it may need reset, having got out of sync? There are five motors/flaps in the heater box.

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote