Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'06 S60 Headlight Protectors - With Masking

Views : 1186

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 20:56   #1
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Default '06 S60 Headlight Protectors - With Masking

Off to the Italian Lakes in May and wanted to mask the headlights to fend off any over-zealous foreign BiB complaining about dazzle etc - and been told that some get the ticket book out even if you lower the lights to lowest setting.

Went to local Volvo dealer to buy set of suitably masked protectors, (you cannot stick anything on the polycarbonate headlight lenses without risk of heat damage = replacement at circa £300 each).

Intially dealer said "No protectors for '06 cars, sorry". After a bit of discussion they had another check and found a new Accessory list dated Feb '08 showing the very dab............sets for either Halogen or Bi-Xenon lights, (mine's Halogen).

Kindly dealer ordered set of each on a "No work = no buy" basis. Set for Halogen arrived today; they fit and are pre-masked for continental touring. Set contains all the clips you need - for both pre- and post-'05 cars. They are suitable for same year spread V70 also.

Part No. is 40005671 and cost was £36.81 inc VAT after VOC discount.

Top marks to John Darke in Lincoln for going the extra mile.

Set for Bi-Xenon are on back-order with no time frame known, but that's now not a problem...........for me.

Just thought this might be useful for some folks. Apologies if this is old info.

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)

Last edited by Sid60ish; Apr 9th, 2008 at 20:58. Reason: Edited to add : they are suitable for V70 also.
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 21:23   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

Sometimes you wonder why you have to use the main dealer network when they don't know the product brand they represent.
These protectors have been available certainly since Nov. 2006 for the facelift cars.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 22:08   #3
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Sometimes you wonder why you have to use the main dealer network when they don't know the product brand they represent.
These protectors have been available certainly since Nov. 2006 for the facelift cars.
I have to say that would make sense. Couldn't really understand why Volvo would produce a car with headlights you couldn't properly mask. Obviously they didn't. Ah the joys of the motor trade.

Apologies for posting what would seem to be rather old hat. As the actress said of the archbishop; "His intentions were good"

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:23   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid60ish View Post
Apologies for posting what would seem to be rather old hat. As the actress said of the archbishop; "His intentions were good"
No need for apologies as we're getting round to that time of year again when people start thinking about taking their cars abroad. Thanks for the price info. too. I think ours were about thirty-five pounds eighteen months ago without the discount.
That must be the official inflation rate of around 2% at work <removes tongue from cheek>.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 16:24   #5
superplum
VOC Member

I'm intrigued by this! My 05 S60T5 (with Xenons) expects to be masked when I go to Europe. The handbook gives the masking patterns for both types of lights and I have no difficulty with fitting or removal and no signs of damage. I use the old Lucas type of black masking film (with silver reverse) and the lights have a tiny plastic dot moulded into the lens to show where to apply the masks.
superplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 16:50   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

Not sure about Xenons and if they are glass or plastic. The Halogens have plastic which through experience with a previous car and a certain aftermarket stores stick on deflectors burnt the plastic covers.

The benefit of buying the full light covers is also you remove the risk of having to source a right hand drive headlight in left hand drive Europe if you should be unlucky enough to suffer a chipped or cracked headlight.
Worth the thrity-odd quid to me to remove the risk.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:45   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
You'll find that Volvo Cars UK are often no more help either, and they are the official importers!!!
They will even give incorrect information, as I have found to my own cost...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:10   #8
Sgt_Squirrel

Question

Hi all, I went to my Volvo dealer for Headlight covers (not touring covers) only to be told that V-UK no longer sell them! - Is there anywhere else I can go? 2004 S60 D5 w/Halogen. Thanks!
Sgt_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:19   #9
GMcL
0's and 1's

This is one of the aftermarket places that do them.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=2953

Just check if your car is Model Year 2004 or 2005 as the headlights changed from glass headlights with wipers to plastic covers with washer jets.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS