Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wanted LPG information

Views : 812

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 20:09   #1
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default wanted LPG information

Hello,

I found a message about someone here in the voc, who took out the petroltank

and fitted a lpg - tank. Who was that ??

I need technical information.What size tank were you able to fit?
Pictures??

Pm me . Thank you
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 21:50   #2
James_N
VOC Member

I think it was Stiggy: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=1743

Anyway i'll add some info here. I have an OMVL system in my volvo fitted by an ex member on here, who although did a good job, I heard mixed reviews about him. I think he also did Stiggy's conversion, and although it was done well and professionally, he never did send me an installation certificate for it. but he did it cheap at £800.

The tank I have is in the spare wheel well and is a 60 litre tank, but you can only put roughly 48-49 litres in due to the expansion of the gas.

Most LPG systems you start on petrol and then switch to LPG when the engine is warmed up. My system is quite basic so If i want to switch it over, i have to do it manually. I do sometimes start on LPG too. This isnt really recommended because LPG needs to be warmed before it works properly, so starting on LPG does take a few extra cranks especially in colder weather.

When running, it does ok. Around town its not so good, it tends to run a bit rough and sometimes stalls, especially if you dip the clutch a bit quick.

On a motorway run though, it does well, returning 25-28mpg. the max ive ever had out of £17 was 300 miles of motorway driving at around 70mph, which is very good. I usually get around 170-200 miles around town though.

I think my ignition system could use some renewal. Dizzy cap / rotar arm maybe as these were last done 3 years ago. Ignition leads were done about 12 months ago.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 18:55   #3
magneto

I think reading between the lines I had my 240 GLT done at the same place. This may help you - during the conversion a non rev limiter rotor arm was fitted as a backfire prevention measure. I endured a low speed miss despite changing to a high output coil, plugs, plug gaps, hall sensor, the thing on the inner wing that I can't remember its name, ignition timing and other gas adjustments all to no avail. Then one day I noticed it missed on petrol! Deciding to swop everything that had been fitted for genuine stuff I started with the rotor arm. When I asked for a non limited arm the partsman explained they didn't interchange as the length differed. Put a std rev limited arm on and everything cured. 3 years on its just as sweet. I believe the limiter kicks in at 6200rpm - my cars all finished way before that so the backfire issue has never been a prob. Cheers.
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 08:49   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I bought a ready-converted 240 earlier this year. It is a basic mixer system, and has a 47 litre cylindrical tank set in the boot floor. It partly occupies the storage locker under the floor, and partly projects underneath where the rear silencer was. The exhaust has been modified and the silencer repositioned further back. It was done on Holland some years ago, where the method is apparently popular.

Although it is a rather small tank, it has the advance of not encroaching on either the main load space or the storage cubby holes.

Mine runs well now on both petrol or gas, but needed a bit of sweaking on expert advice from Mike Brace. The mixer was the wrong size and kind - it should have been slightly smaller to give more pull, and should have had a second elbow for the idle air take off pipe. It is now permanently sealed directly onto the throttle body, which has eliminated its previous tendency to backfiring.

I discovered for myself that the standard air intake in front of the radiator causes a ram-air effect at low throttle openings, leading to a slight jerkiness/snatching. Repositioning the intake on the engine side of the bulkhead has entirely cured that.

I discovered, as someone else here had too, that the engine management system learns bad habits when on gas, I think because it is partly turned off so throws up lots of error codes which take a long time to clear when running on petrol. So if I know I am going to be running a long time on petrol (eg no gas stations handy) I clear the OBD codes and it runs noticeably better on petrol, especially at idling.
I devised an easy way of clearing the codes, if anyone is interested in the details.

The car now runs well on gas or petrol, and idles smoothly. Performance difference is barely perceptible, and I get about 27 mpg on gas.
I tuned it carefully on the basis of road performance over an identical daily run, and I found on the same hill I could clearly detect the optimum setting between rich/weak down to about 1/8 turn on the main screw.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 08:05   #5
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default lpg

thank you clifford.

that was an extensive and very informativ reply.

I am aware of the dutch LPG built in in/underneath the storage space.
However 47 liters is too small.
To give an indication, my 760 has a 180 liter and my temporarily 240 a 120 liter.
though these tanks take a lot of the practical storage space away.

regards, brodgar
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote