Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help: where to rebuild S80 T5 ETM

Views : 2835

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2009, 20:06   #1
zapatras

Default Help: where to rebuild S80 T5 ETM

Fellow bricksters,

The ETM on my 1999 S80 T5 is acting up, and I think I will need to replace it soon (dealer confirmed ETM error codes, so far I've got 3 problems: irregular idling; I need to step on the gas to start the engine; sometimes warning message "Engine management - service required", but no power loss).

The problem is that in Portugal there is no discount for this part - the total cost of repair on the dealer is around €1250 (!!!).

I know that BBA Reman remanufactures the ETMs, and since it still won't be cheap and I don't want to pay for the same repair twice, I ask your advice: has anybody used their services? What is your opinion?

Do you know any other company that provides this service with quality at fair costs?

Thankyou for your help,

Best regards,

Jorge Patrão
zapatras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 20:35   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

why dont you buy the throttle here in uK , it costs £160 then get it fitted over where you are?
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 23:11   #3
jajrst
Volvo S80 SE Owner

There's these guys that replace the sensor with a digital one which should mean the problem never reoccurs. It also means you wouldn't need to go to the dealer at all as you would send your own module off for repair rather than getting a new one. Might be worth a look for you.

http://xemodex.com/
jajrst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jajrst For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 01:41   #4
ricnz

I replaced the ETM in my 2000 S60 with a used one purchased from eBAy (it was only 18mths old) and it's great because it came with software installed (when you buy a new one the software needs to be uploaded at a Volvo stealer.

The only concern I have is that the used ETM came off a B5254T engine and mine is a B5204T5.

Although it seems to run well - no problems -Does anyone know if the software is different i.e. will I have to take in to be reprogrammed?? or if it is different, will running the car with the wrong software potentially cause any problems/damage?
ricnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricnz For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:37   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Thats interesting that a used one can work properly on another vehicle ,
The throttle is embedded with the cars VIN and matched to the particular car it was built with .. you are lucky it works ! You cant reload a used module with the correct software for your car .
Now the bad news , dont ever go anywhere near a volvo dealer again because if they try any form of software , ie, an upgrade or another of your modules packs up and a replacement needs a re -load ... then thats when the problems start with mismatches , volvo wont recognise the throttle module and the car could be left in a dead state which will cost a LOT of money to sort out ....
If you do have problems with another module such as an instrument panel or door module then tell the garage that you will need a new throttle module fitted first before they fix that .
And its only fair to pass this information on when you sell the car otherwise the next owner is going to have big problems sooner or later ..
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:42   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajrst View Post
There's these guys that replace the sensor with a digital one which should mean the problem never reoccurs. It also means you wouldn't need to go to the dealer at all as you would send your own module off for repair rather than getting a new one. Might be worth a look for you.

http://xemodex.com/
Thats a great service , however that is something Volvo themselves should be doing .. An exchange scheme with your particular software already loaded ready to work . This american companies repairs are going to cost about twice the price of a genuine volvo new throttle complete .. ( £160 ) These new ones which volvo now supply with the yellow label are improved quality and i havent heard of one that has failed yet .. So at the moment repair with this new position sensor is not an economic solution ....
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:33   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Seems getting a new one sent from the UK (Find user Rufe on this forum) and getting it fitted locally is the most economic solution for you.

You would still have the option of sending your old one for repair as a spare.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 16:28   #8
zapatras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Seems getting a new one sent from the UK (Find user Rufe on this forum) and getting it fitted locally is the most economic solution for you.

You would still have the option of sending your old one for repair as a spare.
Contacted Rufe, at FRF Volvo Parts, got a fair price, talked to local dealer who says will replace the part and install any software needed. Guess I'll be able to fix it for about 25% of the cost at the stealer. Hope it will work fine!

Thanks for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to zapatras For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 20:05   #9
zapatras

ETM received, installed and programmed: problem solved.

Thankyou for your help!

zapatras

Tags
bba, etm, rebuild