Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

heater fan only works occasionally

Views : 1084

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 21:21   #1
masorge

Default heater fan only works occasionally

hi, first time on here so apologies for any stupid mistakes.
i have a 2001 v40 1.9d with climate control, the heater fan only works occasionally (maybe once a fortnight) and only on number 5, if i turn it down at all it stops, then starts again when switched back to 5, i've read other threads but none seem to have this exact problem,
could the resistor mentioned in other fan related problems cause my problem too ?
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in anticipation.
masorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 13:37   #2
PAZ3154
Glad to be back

yes almost certainly the usual transistor pack problem. costs about £30 from your dealer
PAZ3154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 19:14   #3
benf

If you want to save some cash and don't mind a bit of DIY, theres a howto on s40concepts forum named 'How-to: Fix AC BLOWER FAN THAT RUNS HIGH ALL THE TIME' to fix problems with fan running all the time / not running / running at certain speeds regardless of setting etc ..

BTW, other than age of part the cabin filter being badly blocked can be the cause of the this part failing, the fan has to work harder to push the air through the filter which in turns pulls more current through the transistor. So might be worth checking the cabin filter. Since I stopped using stealerships for servicing, this is not changed as part of a standard service ....
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 12:32   #4
Fanz

Hi masorge, please let me know if you have sorted this problem out and how you did it, my S40 has the same problem, it only works occasionally on 5. Cheers
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by masorge View Post
hi, first time on here so apologies for any stupid mistakes.
i have a 2001 v40 1.9d with climate control, the heater fan only works occasionally (maybe once a fortnight) and only on number 5, if i turn it down at all it stops, then starts again when switched back to 5, i've read other threads but none seem to have this exact problem,
could the resistor mentioned in other fan related problems cause my problem too ?
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in anticipation.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 13:03   #5
OsbourneRob

Default Fan blower fix

Hi All, I fixed mine last week. The fan ran at different speeds regardless of the setting and then gave up completley. I got a new transistor from the Volvo dealer for about £30 and fitted it myself using the guide on this link:

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...93ca27061b0bb7

I replaced the whole unit, heatsink and all, not just the individual transistor.

I could not access the top screw and ended up breaking the old unit. When it snapped off It dropped into the depths of the dash but i have had no problems so far. Also, it was difficcult to get the new one in and had to pull the bulkhead out whilst accessing.
OsbourneRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 20:48   #6
wherry

Default Changed Transistor - but fan still blowing at random speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsbourneRob View Post
Hi All, I fixed mine last week. The fan ran at different speeds regardless of the setting and then gave up completley. I got a new transistor from the Volvo dealer for about £30 and fitted it myself using the guide on this link:

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...93ca27061b0bb7

I replaced the whole unit, heatsink and all, not just the individual transistor.

I could not access the top screw and ended up breaking the old unit. When it snapped off It dropped into the depths of the dash but i have had no problems so far. Also, it was difficcult to get the new one in and had to pull the bulkhead out whilst accessing.
I have just replaced the fan speed transistor and blower was ok for a day or two but is now starting to blow at random speeds again - any ideas what else to try?
cheers
wherry is offline   Reply With Quote