Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering need it !! For my Dad!

Views : 2931

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 00:21   #1
chacon64

Default Power steering need it !! For my Dad!

Hello: I am looking for a power steering for mi dad´s Volvo 144 ,1967,1 owner.
He needs it very badly,he still is capable to drive good,and he loves is car,and i am too.I find out a volvo 164 power steering works.
Any help from our volvo friends somewhere in the world?

Thanks to the forum.

Rodrigo.
rodrigochacon1@yahoo.com
chacon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:02   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Volvo 144 power steering

Hello Rodrigo

This has been an often-requested subject and one regularly used to criticise the Volvo 140 range.

The Volvo Club had a VERY knowledgable register-keeper on the 140 range and I remember him answering the question many times with an emphatic NO - it can't be done.

However, in engineering, nothing is impossible, but bear in mind you must consider mounting the power-steering pump off the side of the engine; changing the steering box and getting a belt-drive to the pump. The 164 has a dual pulley on the crankshaft, one groove being for the power-steering belt: from memory (I don't have a 140 here to see) if this pulley would fit the crankshaft, it may foul the 140 front chassis cross-member.

A different route MAY be possible, though. I have noted recently that a firm has developed electric power steering for the Volvo Amazon. It may be that this system can be easily adapted for the 140 range: from memory the steering box on my early 140 is the same as that on the Amazon, so that train of thought may be your best option.

I have several power-steering pumps available for the 164, as I have broken some in order to keep my drivers mobile, if that helps, but postage to Chile may be interesting (and expensive!).

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 19:31   #3
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Hi Rodrigo,

I'm glad your Dad loves his 144 and wants to keep driving it. I think you will be able to achieve this.

Is your Dad's 144 left-hand-drive?

Volvo did make left-hand-drive 144s with power assisted steering (PAS). Here's one with factory fitted PAS, as well as air-conditioning.

A lot of later 140s sold in the USA had PAS, so if you want to convert the car using Volvo parts, I suggest that you put a wanted advert on one of the US forums (brickboard or turbobricks).

A slightly easier, but more expensive, option is the electric power steering Paul mentioned. This has the advantage of all parts being hidden under the dashboard so the engine bay looks 100% original. The original steering box is retained; the electric assistance works on the steering column.

Finally, the 164 route. Difficult to be sure on this. It's not an easy swap because the 164 wheelbase is 10cm longer (the front of the car is longer) so the angles are all wrong. But it has been done and I have seen photos of right-hand-drive 144s in Australia fitted with 164 PAS.

I have a good left-hand-drive 164 power steering box for sale (130,000km) but, to be honest, it would be better for you to try and find a 144 box in the USA. But if you want mine, let me know and I will investigate shipping costs.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 19:56   #4
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Sorry to be the sad kick in this - but 140 series had 3 (!) different setups of powersteering systems - and things don't interchange.

Things don't interchange between 140 and 164 series either - so it's an extremely difficult task to find a PS for a 1967 140.

Of course it's not "impossible" (man was on the Moon in 1969) - but it's not just an easy job. The hard job is not the steeringbox (allthough it differs too) - but more the angles and steering column etc. - that differs a lot all over the 140/164 series..

A complete working setup, easily goes for GBP 500 arround here in Scandinavia/Sweden..
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 21:27   #5
guancheastur

Default i want it too

i would like to get a LHD pas for my P1800E do you know anyone that sell any? thanks
guancheastur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 21:57   #6
john h
VOC Member

Probably best off going for an EZ electric power steering conversion.

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/index.php?p=6&lang=en

john h is offline   Reply With Quote