Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Camshaft oil seal.

Views : 647

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 16:06   #1
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Default Camshaft oil seal.

I noticed I have a bit of a leak again. The bit of the head that connects to the water pump is oily. I changed this just after fitting the engine but only used a pattern oil seal. Has anyone else had problems with non Volvo ones ? 99% sure it's coming out here, I took took the bolts out of the cambelt cover and moved it and oil just below the camshaft.

I don't think there is pressure build up breather problem as it was all cleaned and seemed ok whan I last checked so I am hoping it's just a bad seal.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 20:55   #2
BlueBrickSte
Premier Member

Just a thought Steve but can the seal be pushed in any further than it already is? Not done mine yet but on replacing various seals on bikes there is usually a tiny groove worn by the seal which lets the oil past. Even if its just a mil or two further in should make a difference.
BlueBrickSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 23:00   #3
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Hi
Thats a good point. I didn't notice a groove but I might have been unlucky enought to put the seal back in the same place as the old one. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow if the weather lets me. I bought another Volvo seal in case I had problems after last time.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:53   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

When I had my B230FK cylinderhead overhauled a few years ago (new guides, seats etc) it came back with an unbranded camshaft oil seal... Unfortunately, I had to refit the seal 2 weeks later as it had developed a leak. After fitting a Volvo one it was perfect - so I'd say Volvo OEM is best in this case.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 17:44   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

Mine is always oily dispite a new seal, havn't gone to the full trouble of removing the pulley + plastic to change the seal to a Volvo one (have use pattern mostly from seal kit). I didn't seal the cam bearing cap though and have only noticed that this should be done (its not in my 360 manual where I learnt most of it).

Will hopefully recheck it soon.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 19:13   #6
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Numpty alert !

I took it all apart this morning and noticed straight away that the seal wasn't fitted very straight. When I changed it last time it was dark and cold and I couldn't see what I was doing very well. Pretty sure that this is the cause of the leak. I have probably done about 2,000 miles since fitting it so it hasn't done bad really !

Looking at the front of the head it isn't flat across the hole where the seal fits, there is a small step. If you line the seal up with the chamfer on the hole it looks right but isn't. I couldn't find anything very good to push the new seal in and ended up using a big socket and a bolt into the puley bolt hole to fit it. It looks ok now, just need to put it back together and check the cam belt, rain halted play earlier.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 19:27   #7
BlueBrickSte
Premier Member

I think we've all been there at some point in time Steve. Like the time I attached the battery leads back to front on my BMW R60/6 and went to do something else. Expensive!
BlueBrickSte is offline   Reply With Quote