Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

replacing solar sensor 960 1995

Views : 2978

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 14:46   #1
telboy

Default replacing solar sensor 960 1995

I have a problem with my air conditioning in my 1995 960 rh estate. Having run a diagnostics test, it is showing fault 161, which is the solar sensor located inside the right hand speaker grill on the dashboard. Problem is, I havent a clue how to get into it to replace the sensor.

Anyone any the wiser?
telboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 22:20   #2
Laney760
VOC Member

If they're like my 940 ones the two little plastic strips down the sides look like they are part of the speaker but are not, they are separate and you have to carefully prise them out first

I'm sure you already know, I found an archived faq but can't find it again now, it says that a faulty 960 solar sensor won't actually cause the air con to break down just prevent it going down by a few degrees and somebody said that just by covering the solar sensor up it will stop this fault, will try and find this link again for you in case it is of use...

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 23:49   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Funny that, I though the solar sensor was part of the passenger speaker. Located in the same plastic unit on the grill which also houses the alarm LED..

Have a look at that before you start prising speaker grills out...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 00:07   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

This says it is on the dashboard in the 960, did read it is in a few places but don't shoot the messenger! Also mentions your fault code

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 00:24   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Attached. So much easier to read. But that is the US version and there are differences betwix the two vehicles for the different markets..

There is a test you can do to check the AirCon. Can't remember how you do it now so I'll have to have a look-see if I can find it..

Des. . .

Edit: Found it.
FAQ: ECU Diagnostic codes....
Note you can clear the code with a torch (make sure it is a bright one!).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xg14802.pdf (357.0 KB, 10 views)
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Jul 8th, 2009 at 00:30.
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:23   #6
telboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Attached. So much easier to read. But that is the US version and there are differences betwix the two vehicles for the different markets..

There is a test you can do to check the AirCon. Can't remember how you do it now so I'll have to have a look-see if I can find it..

Des. . .

Thanks, already done that. I have the Mitchell on demand system for garages, unfortunately, it doesnt show you how to remove the sensor.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:35   #7
telboy

Quote:
Hi,

Des. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
If they're like my 940 ones the two little plastic strips down the sides look like they are part of the speaker but are not, they are separate and you have to carefully prise them out first

I'm sure you already know, I found an archived faq but can't find it again now, it says that a faulty 960 solar sensor won't actually cause the air con to break down just prevent it going down by a few degrees and somebody said that just by covering the solar sensor up it will stop this fault, will try and find this link again for you in case it is of use...
The diagnostic only shows the sensor to be faulty, but I agree, it should still work. Here's the thing. It has never worked since I've had it, so I took it down to kwik fit to get it regassed and they checked it over and said it doesnt need gassing as it's probably the AC switch that is faulty.

I thought it was likely as you never hear the compressor kick in when you switch it on and the temperature doesnt change at all.

The fact that I was able to run the diagnostic suggests it isnt the AC switch. Fuses and relay are fine. So, it's either the sensor, or the motor....or both, but I ran the diagnostic several times and it only ever came up the with the same fault....161....Solar sensor fault.

There is no warning when you switch the ignition on either, to suggest any other faults. Unfortunately, I'm no mechanic, so I can only take suggestions from all you kind people on here.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:59   #8
telboy

Quote:
Hi,

Funny that, I though the solar sensor was part of the passenger speaker. Located in the same plastic unit on the grill which also houses the alarm LED..

Have a look at that before you start prising speaker grills out...

Des. . .
It's definitely in the Right hand speaker!!
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 16:54   #9
spandau
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
The diagnostic only shows the sensor to be faulty, but I agree, it should still work. Here's the thing. It has never worked since I've had it, so I took it down to kwik fit to get it regassed and they checked it over and said it doesnt need gassing as it's probably the AC switch that is faulty.

I thought it was likely as you never hear the compressor kick in when you switch it on and the temperature doesnt change at all.

The fact that I was able to run the diagnostic suggests it isnt the AC switch. Fuses and relay are fine. So, it's either the sensor, or the motor....or both, but I ran the diagnostic several times and it only ever came up the with the same fault....161....Solar sensor fault.

There is no warning when you switch the ignition on either, to suggest any other faults. Unfortunately, I'm no mechanic, so I can only take suggestions from all you kind people on here.

i may be wrong but imo the sensor fault wont prevent the air con from working, all the sensor does is detects direct sunlight and signals the system ecu to provide colder air to maintain the selected temp, if the compressors not cutting in it may be a compressor air gap issue which will not latch any codes loads of good info on here about that fix first thing id do is check the voltage to the comp. and check the air gap. ps given the fact the systems u/s how did quick fit arrive at the fact it didnt need charging? a quick check to prove that is short out the pressostat and see if the comp runs

Last edited by spandau; Jul 8th, 2009 at 17:12.
spandau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, climate control, solar sensor