Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Playing up a bit.

Views : 575

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 19:02   #1
needforswede
Chequered Roof Aficionado

Default Playing up a bit.

Evening Gents. First off can I say how glad I am to see the forums back up and running.

Onto the fault; On cold/wet mornings when I start my car up (1995 850 2.0 10v Auto) it seems to pull away as though it's in Winter Mode - that is to say that it revs to about 2500rpm and is very very slow indeed - and the upward arrow underneath the rev counter is flashing. If I pull over after about 1/4 mile, turn off and turn back on again the car runs fine and (generally speaking) will do for the rest of the day, although not always.

Obviously I've checked that it's not in Winter Mode when I do this as that was what I originally suspected and I have also renewed the transmission fluid. The rest of the car is in a good running condition having only done 123000 miles and been routinely serviced from new. The engine pulls as well as a 10v ever will and is very smooth. The gearchanges, once I've gotten over the initial issue with the gearbox, are smooth and kick down works just fine, as do Sport and Winter Mode along with '3' and 'L' doing what they should.

The lady that gave me the car said she'd had the same issue since she purchased it back in 2003.

Of course if you chaps think that it's a rebuild jobby I shall probably leave it as it's only a mild inconvenience as it stands and really not worth the expense, I'd just be interested to know if anyone thinks it could be something really simple that I've just overlooked.

Thanks in advance,
Adam.

1995 Volvo 854 2.0 10v S Auto "Old Reliable"
needforswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 19:42   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Does your car have the diagnostic sockets like this?

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a1.html

If so read the fault codes to aid diagnosis of your problem.

My first thought is PNP switch, with the engine off try moving the gear lever though the full range around 20 times.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 19:59   #3
needforswede
Chequered Roof Aficionado

I'm not sure whether it has that or not so I'll have a quick look on my way out and then go through the codes tomorrow if it's there.

Thanks for that link, Chris, it'll hopefully be very useful.

1995 Volvo 854 2.0 10v S Auto "Old Reliable"
needforswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 22:54   #4
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default autobox

Could simply need the autobox adjusting or the fluid is thickening up. I had a similar problem with a 760 the way I resolved it was to let the car sit for 5 mins with the engine running then run through the gears making sure you get a good engagement of gears then after that the car ran fine.
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 23:35   #5
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
Could simply need the autobox adjusting
There's no adjusting on these type of gearboxes - it's not like the older autos, where brake bands would need adjusting, periodically, there's no brake bands in modern-ish autos, they have (wet-plate) clutch packs, now.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote