Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vacuum line identification

Views : 695

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 14:35   #1
kenny999

Default Vacuum line identification

Hi, I mentioned this in my previous thread - but now now have some (admittedly poor) photos

This is a 740 that I'm tring to fix for an elderly neighbour (new water pump needed)

As an aside I found an open to the atmosphere port on the inlet manifold that was sucking air. Blocking it imporoved the running - so I've temporarily occluded it.

I expected to find a small bore vacuum line (ignition advance or similar) flapping around in the engine bay - but cant seen to find what was meant to be connected to the manifold.

I guess it could be meant to be just blocked off - but any comments welcome;

Again, sorry for the poor pics, and just to clarify, it is just a small bore push-fit vacuum port (looks funny in pic, because I've used the finger of a rubber glove, and a cable tie to occlude it for now)
kenny999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 21:53   #2
BlueBrickSte
Premier Member

The only thing that I've been able to find is a vague picture in a 340 Haynes manual. Same ish B2xx with a carb and "idle air bypass" in the carb base area. Have you had the air ducting off yet? If it is this then by the looks of it the stub will be covered in cack n a little bit harder to find. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but one reply is better than none for a newbie.
BlueBrickSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 13:23   #3
kenny999

Default Think I've got it!

Cheers for the reply. Looks like the answer was right in front of me all along (it's in the pics I posted)

I was looking for a single free end.

The item circled in the copy of the pic (below) is a T shaped connector, and it looks like it is this that should connect to the port.

Still puzzled as to what it does, however, one end heads up through the bulkhead (behind the speedo cluster) other end I've not followed yet.
kenny999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 14:46   #4
BlueBrickSte
Premier Member

Not that I know owt about them but is it possible you have an econometer. A vacuum gauge with iirc yellow green n red segments on.
BlueBrickSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 15:40   #5
nickm

That looks like a climate control/AC vacuum line.
On mine it goes to the heater valve, and vacuum for the climate control. A vacuum pump is is connected to assist under boost. Maybe the pump has been removed?
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote