Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

front disc's and pads

Views : 813

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 21:53   #1
mario850
Vovlo lover

Default front disc's and pads

hi i have just bought some new disc's and pads for my 855 2.0 20v

what i am wondering is has any one fitted grooved,drilled and vented disc's with sports pads to an 855 before and did they get a noticeable improvement in stopping power or do they just look good
Past-> L Reg 945 2.0 HPT Wentworth.
mario850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:29   #2
st5ve
S60 R

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario850 View Post
hi i have just bought some new disc's and pads for my 855 2.0 20v

what i am wondering is has any one fitted grooved,drilled and vented disc's with sports pads to an 855 before and did they get a noticeable improvement in stopping power or do they just look good

There are several options open to you regarding breaking some cost a fair bit and others involve a bit of work to get them to fit.
You could go for the AP kit it has everything you need included in the kit (front only) cost wise aprox £1500, I have heard they can crack.
There is a slightly cheaper option from WP pro however not many people have gone down this road so reviews are fairly rare.
You could upgrade the front discs to Volvo 302 discs, you will also need carriers for this and Volvo do stock them.
If you wanted to upgrade the rear brakes it can be done using S60 R discs and callipers how ever I believe the callipers are as rare as hen’s teeth!

On my 855 T5 I used OEM discs 302’s on front standard on rear with carbotech xp8 pads, this is by far a very good set up and a lot cheaper than a lot of the alternatives. There is a draw back, the XP8 pads are used for fast road use and track day events not really suitable for road use only. Carbotech do a road pad only XP6 and a track only pad XP10. I also use Motul race brake fluid I think it’s called RBF600

I have tried Black Diamond DON'T GO THERE!!!!!
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:34   #3
st5ve
S60 R

Forgot to mention you will need to look at what alloys to use with the larger discs, with the 302's you can use 16 inch Mettis and Prefro, with the BBK you will need 17 inch alloys.

Some members have used Porche and Aston Martin callipers
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 17:38   #4
mario850
Vovlo lover

thank you for your input i had looked in to going for big break conversions like the ap set but i really dont want to go to 18's and as for the 302's again i didn't want to even go to 16's as i want to keep the car looking as standard as poss which means keeping the standard 15's on so i decided to try (seeing as they only cost 105 inc p&) mintex grooved drilled and vented disc's and mintex sports pads which are a direct replacement for the original item's and wow what a difference i can almost lift the back wheels now, would really recommened them and they look awesome behind the standard 15's but i have a feeling the they will eat pads for breakfast lol
Past-> L Reg 945 2.0 HPT Wentworth.
mario850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 19:58   #5
saturnuranus
VOC Member

It's worth remembering that the upgrade to 302mm discs won't really improve the stopping power of your braking system. The larger disc helps with heat dissipation only so is handy on track where frequent heavy breaking is being used, but practically pointless on a road car. If it's a wholesale increase in stopping power you need then some sort of BBK is the only way to go IMHO.

As for a decent combined road/track pad I've always used EBC Yellowstuff to good effect and although they won't touch the pads Steve mentions they are rather more effective during normal road use
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote