Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem at motorway cruising speed.

Views : 887

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 14:09   #1
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

Question Problem at motorway cruising speed.

On a return trip to London yesterday I noticed that a steady cruising speed of 70 give or take a bit there seemed to be an intermittent mis-fire that would very quickly pass. However the auto box seemed to quickly change down then back up again. There was no throttle pedal movement and it only happened at a steady speed. Acceleration was ok with no missing so it seems to be a problem only at low thottle positions and it did not seem to matter what the speed was as long as it was constant. Does any one have some clues as to this and could it be an injector or some sensor issue. I read in the handbook that when "coasting" the gearbox does change down or words to that effect but in this case it changed back up again within a couple of seconds.
Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Last edited by Roger Jennings; Jun 15th, 2009 at 15:05.
Roger Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 17:03   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Which car has the problem?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 19:12   #3
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

Sorry thought the heading in the Thread listing was adequate.
The '95 850 2.5 10 valve auto estate.
Cheers
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 20:38   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

My first thought is ro read the engine and gearboxs ECU's for fault codes.

My second thought is the throttle position sensor may be worn and giving the engine ECU and consequently the gearbox ECU misleading position readings.

It may be worth carefully checking the throttle position sensor resistance readings at the light throttle position.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 17:48   #5
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

Chris,
Many thanks for you help. I will act on it and do/get done as you suggest. Will update when done so with outcome.
Cheers,
Roger
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 22:06   #6
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

Update:
Took the car to Claytons of Mansfield who diagnosed that there were no fault codes at all showing. They cleaned the throttle housing but also found there to be vacuum pipes dis-connected. They tested the operation of the throttle position sensor and then found all to be ok.
Driving it back home it seemed fine and ran seemingly a lot better. Whilst they had the car they also carried out a free Volvo safety inspection which picked up that front brake flexis need to be replaced shortly. Apart from that and a bulb out all was found to be ok. Based on this experience with the garage I can only fully agree and endorse other users comments as to the 100% attitude and professionalism of the garage staff and Keith Clayton in particular. It made a change to deal with a garage where they really care rather than the somewhat false sincerity I have experienced in the past. I will definately be taking the other cars there in the future for any work that needs to be done.

Thanks Chris for your kind advice.

Cheers