Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Droop

Views : 691

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 21:45   #1
16vAndy

Cool Droop

I've recently purchased a very smart S40 on a T plate with 30,000 on the clock.
I noticed from day one the steering wheel was slightly off centre to the right.
I checked the service history to discover the alignment had been altered 3 yrs previously along with two new front tyres.
I had the alignment checked at my employers workshop explaining I wanted the steering wheel back to centre.
Having had the work done I took the car for a test drive to discover the wheel drooped to the left when I removed my hands momentarily. I returned to my service manager & explained the wheel had been returned to the centre as required but now droops downwards to the left when you let go. He advised me this to be normal as the tyres would be following the original wear from the previous setting & would need a few 100 miles to re-bed.
I will give him the benefit of the doubt & see what a few 100 miles does to improve, although I have my doubts that the job is correct.
Is this normal? The steering feels overly light anyway without this added discrepancy.
16vAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 21:55   #2
coupeboy

The steering feel on 96 to 2000 year cars is overly light. Volvo recognised this and improved feel from 2000 face lift on. If you don't believe your mechanic regarding the pull to the left (I'm not sure either) you could try putting your rear tyres on the front. Most roads have a left camber for water to run off so unless you're testing in say, the middle lane of a motorway you'll always get a left drive when you take your hands off.
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupeboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 22:02   #3
apollo

Cool

Unless your tyres are incredibly worn or you are on a very high road camber he is talking the preferbial bo==ox. The steering wheel should move slightly due to the camber but not drop significantly to one side or the other. Correct wheel alignment kit should always be used and these days that should be a lazer set up. Be prudent, ask them to explain to you what they did as it is after all your car and your safety you are concerned with. If in doubt always err on the side of caution. A second opinion from a decent garage should cost you nothing for there opinion. Anyone who wants to charge you to have a look......drive away albeit slightly to the left!
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apollo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 18:12   #4
16vAndy

Yes I agree with all the camber following stuff & yes it does follow this as normal but the steering wheel exaggerates it as though it has a 5Ib weight attached to the left hand side lol, the steering is really light though & follows virtually every crevice in the road, not used to that at all. I'll continue to monitor it then take it back.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 18:41   #5
16vAndy

Hi
I eventually returned my volvo to the workshop & insisted it was test driven. The service manager agreed something was amiss & swapped the front wheels with the rear.
The difference is amazing!!!! Feels like a new car & does exactly as it should, no pull, no wander, steering wheel spot on.
The tyres that were replaced during the previous wheel alignment must have been cheap tat & have worn terribly with the previous incorrect setting.
I now enjoy driving the volvo more than I did....... RESULT!