Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt issues again

Views : 1114

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 17:56   #1
one eared steve

Default Timing belt issues again

Well here we go again!!.
Started to do my timing belt on a b18u this morning and all was going well.
Found tdc for no1 piston and marked and checked all positions twice just to be doubly sure it was locked correctly.Removed the locking pin and locked the starting ring gear so i could undo the crank pulley but the bolt on the pulley will not budge,it's not rusty in fact it is immaculatly clean,tried penetrating oil on it and then beat the cr@p out of it but it will not budge.
Any ideas on how to shift it as mt tensioner is squeling like a pig when cold and won't last much longer.
cheers for any help steve
one eared steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 21:17   #2
B20F
Master Member

Why you want to remove the crank pulley? You just have to slacken the belt by means of the tensioner pulley. Which can be done by removing the plastic innerwing.
Check this thread from the 480-europe forum. Takes you through the procedure step by step with pics.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 21:37   #3
myatt1972

Find a friendly garage who will crack it off with an airgun and pinch it back up so you can drive home and do the rest.
Keith...
myatt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 15:03   #4
one eared steve

you need to take the crank pulley of in order to locate the timing mark on the gear behind it so as to be able to set your belt up properly.
i might go and ask a friendly garage and see if they will crack it for me but as most of them around here are in to daylight robbery not sure if it's worth the agro.
i will have another go at the weekend if i get the chance.
cheers anyway steve
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 20:22   #5
B20F
Master Member

Look at pics 5&6 of the link howto put the engine in TDC. You can lock the crankshaft at tdc with a 7mm drillbit, put in the hole of the removed bolt. On top of the camcover you can see where tdc marking is.
So first replace camcover, put engine in tdc, lock the crankshaft with the drillbit and remove the cover after you've marked the position of the camshaft so you can controll tdc while putting on the belt.

Last edited by B20F; Mar 19th, 2009 at 20:25.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 20:49   #6
one eared steve

Finding tdc is not the problem.
After finding tdc you have to take the cabbelt pulley of as to enable you to takt the belt of.
In the picture on the 480 link over you see the crankshaft pulley with the v belt still attached,you need to take the v belt of which is a five minute job and then the pulley so you can get to the timing belt sprocket and timing mark wich is a notch on the sprocket on the crank.With the pulley on you can not do this properly that i can see and i certainly took it of on another 440 timing belt that i did,
cheers steve
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 00:39   #7
ammoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by one eared steve View Post
Well here we go again!!.
Started to do my timing belt on a b18u this morning and all was going well.
Found tdc for no1 piston and marked and checked all positions twice just to be doubly sure it was locked correctly.Removed the locking pin and locked the starting ring gear so i could undo the crank pulley but the bolt on the pulley will not budge,it's not rusty in fact it is immaculatly clean,tried penetrating oil on it and then beat the cr@p out of it but it will not budge.
Any ideas on how to shift it as mt tensioner is squeling like a pig when cold and won't last much longer.
cheers for any help steve

well i had mine done only today morning and the mechanic hgad exactly the same problem. it was weird the way he took it off. he got a torque bar in from the wheel side and told his mate to turn the key for a second so it turns the crank pulley. i was a bit weary about what he was doing but it worked a treat.i was quite shocked.
ammoville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 16:51   #8
one eared steve

Sounds like a good idea.
He was using the starter motor to turn the engine over while his mate clung on qiti hard i presume due to the pressure.I don't think i will do it that way as a brocken arm is a possibility by doing that.
I am going to have another go in the week sometime when i get the chance to have a day of work (i do have another car so i dont have to do it all in one day) and post again when i see how i get on.
I might try heating thre bolt with a blow gun and a big bit if pipe for leverage.
Hopefully everything else goes ok on this one.
cheers steve
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 18:51   #9
bvs
Blue TD

I had this problem on my engine... my neighbour was impressed to see me use a socket and T bar and a three foot length of old exhaust pipe to 'crack' the nut...it worked a treat

cheers baz
bvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 22:51   #10
ammoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by one eared steve View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
He was using the starter motor to turn the engine over while his mate clung on qiti hard i presume due to the pressure.I don't think i will do it that way as a brocken arm is a possibility by doing that.
I am going to have another go in the week sometime when i get the chance to have a day of work (i do have another car so i dont have to do it all in one day) and post again when i see how i get on.
I might try heating thre bolt with a blow gun and a big bit if pipe for leverage.
Hopefully everything else goes ok on this one.
cheers steve
trust me it doesnt look as dangerous as it sounds. its easier and you will be able to save the nut like this.
ammoville is offline   Reply With Quote