Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking after brake pad change

Views : 1533

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 00:18   #1
apollogary

Default Knocking after brake pad change

Hi all.
I have an 05 V70, changed the front brake pads today. Now I have a really loud intermittant knocking noise from the offside suspension/wheel area. Not there when accelerating but present when coasting and braking. Pads and calipers are definitely fitted correctly as are the spring clips. I can only think that maybe jacking the wheel up and having it hang down past its normal range of movement has damaged something. Possibly a drop link.??
I was only thinking the other day reading all these posts about knocking suspension "mm I must be really lucky not to have even a hint of a knock anywhere" Ha.. now I've got this.
Any ideas chaps.

Thanks

Gary
apollogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 00:31   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

I had to replace the front pads on my 2003 V70 shortly before setting off for France this year , the brakes squeaked and clonked for about 2000 miles and I had to endure continuous non stop dogs abuse about my skills as a mechanic but for the past few months they have settled in and no more noises but no apologies either , I did use copperslip grease but it didnt help the squeaking , it just went away on its own and the brakes work fine now .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 04:46   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

If the brake discs are fairly worn, a knocking noise will come until the pads bed in, its the lip of the disc cutting into the new pad, some hard brakeing and driving with yuor foot on the brake should make it get less and less with every brake. Stupid question, but is the wheel tight, sometimes alloys can loosen after a short drive.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:11   #4
apollogary

Its not the lip because I always file that down when I change pads. I used plenty of copperslip. and the wheel is definitely tight. I did a 20 mile journey last night. When i set off the knock was once about every 10 to 20 seconds. When I got home it was 3 or 4 times a second and very loud. I will take the wheel off hopefully later today or tomorrow and hopefully find something obvious. If it is a drop link... are pattern parts any good, or should I fit genuine Volvo?

Thanks again

Gary
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:18   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

if its the drop links you should be able to tell by pulling them hard back and forward to see if the ball joint is slightly loose in its housing , if you suspect them they are easy to change ,replaced the front ones with aftermarket units on our old fiesta and made a big difference to suspension noise , probably not last as long as the real thing but we will see , I replaced a rear wheel bearing 46k miles ago on my V70 with the cheapest aftermarket unit at about £75 and its still going strong , just replaced the front wishbones with cheap aftermarket QH units and they seem fine , they just cant be worse than the original volvo units surely ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:12   #6
apollogary

Thanks Bernard. My local car spares shop have them in stock, so I'll try later to check them. You seem as uninpressed with Volvos as I am...