Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

About to view 440 1.8 GLT anything......

Views : 769

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 19:16   #1
Toptrumps2

Default About to view 440 1.8 GLT anything......

Hey everyone,

My names kyle just thot i should let you know but on sat im going to view my first car, ive looked at insurance and found this EXTRAMLY nice example on auto trader.

M-reg (1994) Volvo 440 1.8 GLT - 140,000 miles. Im having to travel quite a long way to go and see it and hopfully going buy it but i was wondering what i should look out for. It has had a HPI with nothing bad comming back about it.

Can you please tell me main problems that 440's have and what i should look for when going to see it.

Thankies everyone!

Kyle
Toptrumps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 21:04   #2
xxemmaxx

Hi Kyle, im new too, i just got a 1994 440 1.8 si with 51,000 miles, lovely car to drive, im not sure what to look out for, i know the back arches can go rusty (one of mine has) but as for mechanically i have no idea..i will keep an eye on this thread for any probs 440s have..

Emma.
xxemmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 21:14   #3
Toptrumps2

Thanks emma

Im wanting people who have owned theres for years to tell me what they have been through as this car has alota miles Is there anything strange with yours, like knocking or squeeking?

Thankies
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 21:18   #4
xxemmaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptrumps2 View Post
Thanks emma

Im wanting people who have owned theres for years to tell me what they have been through as this car has alota miles Is there anything strange with yours, like knocking or squeeking?

Thankies
I have only had mine 5 days, but so far i dont think there are any strange noises, none that i have heard anyway, hope your purchase goes well.

Emma.
xxemmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:00   #5
doomvolvo
Volvo 440 2.0

Well I can tell you the problems I had with mine!
On the 2.0 I had alot of knocking and nasty noises from the front suspension that turned out to be a snapped drop link. Dont know if these are a weak spot but mine only had 23,000 on the clock.
I had problems with the earth on both my 440's back lights but could probably be put down to small cracks in the plastic.
Rust in the rear arches is pretty much a given but if it hasnt got any check for repairs and question the seller. My second 440 looked like a peach with no rust but it had had alot of work done to the rear arches. Fortunately it was good work but you never know.
Since its a high mileage car just treat it as such. Check how the clutch feels on your test drive, look for smoke from the exhaust, check all the electrics, make sure you get to start it from cold and again when the engine has run up to temperature. Most Volvos have been driven steadily and rarely revved highly so most are worn it rather than knackered.
I believe the gearbox can get a little baggy but then Ive never suffered this. I saw one for sale the other day that didnt have reverse because to select 1st you had to put the selector in reverse! That was probably a damage linkage but still a little strange.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 15:40   #6
Toptrumps2

Red face

Ive added them to check list

Anymore that people have are welcome to post, this will be my first car so i hope i pick a good one!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 19:13   #7
Toptrumps2

The volvo i was going for has been sold so looking for another one

It was a really nice car aswell!! MEH :P anyone know who selling one?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 19:18   #8
rustyold440

I've got very rusty back arches on my 1.9 TD GLT, I pulled several handfulls of mud out - I think the previous owner was growing spuds in there - a bit of rust can be lived with or repaired provided there is sufficient solid metal for an MOT!

Check you got working fobs and the immobilizer "key", as this can be a proper liability.

GLT spec is slightly lowered suspension with toys - Every electric "toy" which is broken is potential for you to knock the price down a few quid with the seller. You should have 2xelectric mirrors, 4xelectric windows, 1x electric sunroof, 2xheadlamp washers, 1xElectric aerial, 2xHeated seats (these do break), Try 'em all... if they all work, thats brilliant. If not, its all bargaining power.

On mine the boot leaked through the light cluster, so I'd check for damp in the boot, while there check tools/tyre. Everything else is generic, i.e. smoke from the exhaust, check the oil looks ok, check the clutch and gearbox feel OK, and the engine sounds ok and pulls.

Last edited by rustyold440; Mar 13th, 2008 at 19:22. Reason: OOh, sorry Its gone - think I was typing this when you posted that :)
rustyold440 is offline   Reply With Quote