Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch release fork mounting

Views : 1371

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:16   #1
allende

Default Clutch release fork mounting

Hi all,

B16 Amazon, 1961, hydraulic clutch:

I have finally got round to fitting a replacement gearbox. Upon replacement the release fork wouldn't move enough to refit onto the slave rod cylinder. So I applied a "little" too much force and managed to pop the fork off the ball that it fixes to. As in this pic:

Does the fork just slide back on, over the collar? Or is it held on with a bolt going into the ball? (If it's a bolt I have snapped it off . )
If it is a bolt on job then I'll probably need a new ball and bolt- any one got one or know of a source?

Thanks for any help. This is the only thing that is preventing me refitting the engine.
allende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:33   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

allende;

I expect that either you broke the blot (15) which mounts the ball to bell housing, of perhaps more likely, popped the circlip (18) out which holds the ball into the socket on fork...in either case it will need to come apart again for inspection and correction.

Cheers from New England!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:54   #3
allende

Thanks Ron.
The ball is still attached to the bell housing so that side of thing s is OK. The fork has a collar in it that fits over the ball. I'm just not sure what, if anything, holds the fork onto the ball.

I guess you're right that the gearbox will have to come back off and I'll be searching for the circlip. Just such a dispiriting thought after taking so long to get round to fitting it.

Cheers again Ron.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:56   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'd be a bit surprised if there was enough room for the arm to come off the pivot but you might well have popped the "lock ring" off. But, you'd have to have been pulling on the arm, which is the opposite to what you would have been doing to insert the threaded rod. Unfortunately, as you say, it looks as if it all needs to come off again. The clip secures a cup washer, Volvo call it a "ball shell", into the back of the arm so I hope you have that piece too. I think these are fitted to the ball before its bolted into the bell housing so they should be still "on the ball". Once the ball is locked into the arm it can then be bolted back in.
After it's back together wind the cone and lock nuts down the rod and then remove the 2 bolts that secure the cylinder. Insert rod into arm and then replace the cylinder. Wind nuts back up and adjust to give 3-4mm freeplay with the spring keeping tension on the arm. Don't put the spring back on until you've gut the nuts screwed back to take up all the play. Just saying this in case the spring pulls the arm enough to pop the spring clip off again. Clutch pedal should be adjusted to give 4 1/2" stroke between the pedal and the floor.
If you've misplaced the pics from the parts book I sent some time back, just shout and I will re send them.
I hope your garage is nice and warm!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 13:31   #5
allende

Hi Derek,

Yes still got the pics and have been studying them intently!

Part 39 is the fork, 40 the ball. All the other parts look to fit between the ball and bellhousing? The ball is sitting fine in the bell housing and doesn't seem to have been disturbed at all.
In the picture it doesn't look to have anything 'behind' the fork, ie where the line to the number 39 hits the fork? This is where I am puzzled- I just click the rod back onto the ball with nothing behind? If so great, should be easy. If not which parts on the pic am I looking for.

And no, the garage is extremely cold, especially the floor I will be sitting on!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 13:48   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

44 is the cup that sits in the arm recess and 45 is the circlip or ball ring that locks it in place. With the ball out of the bell housing these 2 pieces secure the ball into the arm. All they do really is to secure everything and hold the arm on the ball to keep it in place and stop it flopping about. It keeps the arm in contact with the ball at all times. A bit of grease here would be good.
There is nothing at 39. There is nothing on that side of the arm. It just pivots on the ball with the cup and clip holding it in place. 41,42 and 43 are the bolt and washers that hold the ball to the bell housing.
Good luck.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 14:04   #7
allende

Ahhhh, I see now!! Thanks for that, it is all clear now.

I think I am buggered then, because there is no sign of those two parts. Will try a bit of improvisation...
Thanks again Derek.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 14:42   #8
allende

**UPDATE**

It appears I have managed to snap the ball cup neatly into 2 parts. This is an achievement of sorts I suppose. The circlip is still in place, with the 2 pieces of cup sitting in the bell housing.

So I am looking for a replacement ball cup for a Amazon hydralic clutch. Just the sort of spare part nobody has I suppose, but if you do have one drop me a message as I've had no luck from the usual suppliers so far.

Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 14:57   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

These 2 parts are identical to the those fitted to the B18 with hydraulic clutch. The part numbers are the same.
87573 - Ball shell (B16 item #44)
87574 - Lock ring (B16 item #45)
This should make it easier to get them. Maybe someone local to you who can help out. Unless you enjoy removing and refitting gearboxes, which I doubt, best to try and get the bits rather than bodging it.
A quick call to http://www.amazoncars.co.uk/ might solve the problem or Charlie Garrett at Oxford is worth trying. 01865 771166
Patience is a virtue, now go and have some soup!