Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cleaning the a/c evaporator

Views : 1746

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 15:21   #1
warthog
VOC Member

Default Cleaning the a/c evaporator

When Andy and myself had the heater ducting out yesterday to replace the evaporator, we looked at how we could get to it to clean the matrix with the unit still in the car.

I've just done mine, and as long as you're careful it's a very simple job. (Took me 1/2 hour)

You need to remove both the heater fan and the fan resistor pack from the ducting. This then allows you access to the 'outside' face of the a/c evaporator. Using a torch, small paintbrush and VERY CAREFULLY the thin nozzle on your vacuum cleaner, the matrix can be brushed clean of debris and vacuumed up. The matrix is fragile so DO NOT POKE at it.

If your car has been run without a pollen filter in it then chances are you will find a mass of dead insects and road grit packed into the matrix, just waiting to trap moisture and corrosion.

If your heater fan squeaks then this is also a good time to brush the dirt off it and spray some lubricant on the bearings.

Cheers
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 17:58   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: Cleaning the a/c evaporator

I'll have ago at doing this sometime as I know they commonly fail. Thanks for the tips. I'll try and fit a pollen filter also.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 21:45   #3
tonyflynn1

Thanks Brian, my fan squeeks and there's no pollen filter - I'll have a go at this over the next couple of weeks. Is it a big deal to remove and refit the fan?
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 22:50   #4
Andy Mcl

All you need is a number 20 torx I think, to undo the screws.
You will obviously have to remove the glove box - six torx screws and the under dash shelf 2 torx at the front. Then you can get in very easily.
BUT I reiterate GO CAREFULLY, the evaporator is VERY DELICATE.
If you have muck in there then I guarantee you either do not have a pollen filter in there or it has split open.

If you want to save your evaporator FIT A POLLEN FILTER it only costs about £35, this includes the mounting bracket.

This I believe it affects all 850's and early V70's

Brian's cleaning method also tells you if you have a big problem later on.

My ECC is now awsome, nice and cold well worth the time to do the repair job.
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Andy Mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 07:46   #5
sholtby
Premier Member

With later Volvos an hour or so after switching off the fan runs to dry out the evaporator for a few minutes. I wander if we could fit a circuit to do the same to our cars?

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:40   #6
warthog
VOC Member

Simon,

there is an aftermarket Volvo extra that can be fitted that adds a timer to the fan motor to do just the job you note. I found it by accident on VADIS but I have no kit part number I'm afraid. It's called a 'Drier Unit for the Evaporator'

It cannot be fitted to any 850/V70 with ultrasonic interior alarm protection as the fan operation will set off the alarm.