Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch is sticking,bad... -_-

Views : 900

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:25   #1
Curator

Default Clutch is sticking,bad... -_-

Everytime I park the thing and come back to it, the clutch is stuck again... (1967 122s) I can pop it out pretty easy if I remember to put the car in reverse be4 I get out...then I can just pull out backwards and it normaly pops out, but when I forget to put it in reverse, and there is something in front of me, then its really freaking annoying...usually end up having to drive up over a devider or wait till the car in front of me in the parking lot pulls out... any idea's on how I can take care of this? thats cheap?LOL...
Curator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 11:11   #2
austingipsy

67, is that cable or hydraulic ? if its cable maybe check the cable tension and adjust if need be. Check your fluid level if its hydraulic and maybe also the small nut and lever affair on the slave cylinder. perhaps the seals are starting to leak.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 12:09   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think we need a bit more info here. It sounds like a hydraulic problem with either the master or slave needing replacing or new seals. Check fluid level. If no sign of any leaks, bleed the system properly. Even with no leaks a seal could still have failed but may be good enough to alow you to "pump up" the system. When you dip the clutch to change gear, does the gear lever have a lot of resistance but still allow you to select the next gear? If so, the clutch is dragging because the hydraulics aren't moving the lever enough.
I don't see where the reverse gear comes into the picture unless there is trouble with the selectors in the box and that's a whole new problem. Check gearbox oil level while you're under the car checking the slave cylinder and its adjustment.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 15:26   #4
amazondean
amazondean

I originally read it to mean the clutch had stuck to the flywheel but I presume he means not being able to get it into gear very easily. It does sound like the master or slave cylinder is leaking but there must be air in the system if it requires pumping the pedal to help. There may not be any fluid in the master cylinder and therefore has sucked some air into the system. It could be that the clutch arm under the car may need adjustment. But he only mensions a problem when parked so the clutch plate may be slipping from the flywheel slightly. I do believe more info is needed.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 13:08   #5
Curator

its hydraulic, and no I cant put it into ANY gear other than the gear it was in when i parked it, I have to leave it in gear otherwise it gets stuck and I cant get it unstuck without fiddling around for half an hour... I leave it in reverse be4 I get out of the car because it makes it easy to get it to work if it sticks, I jsut hit reverse, accelerate , and usually unsticks the clutch within 20 feet...after I get it loose, the car shifts from gear to gear smoothly and easily... I dont know how to check fluid level, but I'll ask my friend about that next time I talk to him... thanks for your responses...
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 19:35   #6
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I think you have an hydralic fault. Is there any sign of leakage by the pedal box or gearbox?
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 20:40   #7
gnhuk
Balding.............

Once, many years ago (and not on a Volvo), I had a clutch fault which was the plate had seized on the splined shaft. I think the garage that eventually fixed it found that parting the gearbox and engine required use of crowbars etc..............
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 21:52   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Curator;

Please answer this: Are you able to shift into all gears while the engine is not running, and not able to shift while the engine is running and you depress the clutch pedal? ...that's what we want to know..."hit reverse" etc. doesn't tell me what I need to know...

Check hydraulic clutch fluid level at the reservoir next to the brake fluid reservior...you should know where both are!

Cheers, and Merry Christmas from New England!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:59   #9
Curator

Default yeah

fluid level is fine, cant find any leaks, and yes i can shift into any other gear, unless I let it sit for a few hours, then it wont shift into any other gear, will stay in the gear i left it in when I park, till I drive it a bit in that gear, then I can shift into another...
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 13:16   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Very strange. "Out of the box" ideas might include, GB filled/overfilled with rear axle type hypoid, causing everything including the synchros to lock up. (No synchro on reverse). No oil at all in the GB! Gearbox is loose on the bellhousing causing the input shaft to lock up or the input shaft is locking up due to the collapse or rusting out of the pilot bearing. Gearstick to GB top plate loose so end ball isn't correctly positioned. Broken spring/s in the cltch pressure plate. Cracked or badly worn clutch arm. Etc,etc, etc....

Bad clutch hydraulics still seems the top guess. Unfortunately, that's much easier to diagnose when you've got yourself sitting in the driver's seat.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote