Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3 new R`s

Views : 887

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 17:40   #1
JD.7
VOC Member

Default 3 new R`s

there are going to be new C30 R , S40 R and V50 R models coming out soon.

http://www.volvocars.co.uk/models/c30/

http://www.volvocars.co.uk/models/s40/

http://www.volvocars.co.uk/models/V50/

click on the R design button
JD.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 17:45   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Take off the Volvo logo and it looks like any other Eurobox! What happened to Volvo unique design?
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 17:46   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Thats great news.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 17:52   #4
JD.7
VOC Member

looks like the V70 is being left out for now , still we had our turn and i`m happy with mine so that is all that matters lol.

if they sell we may get the 60 and 70 `s..... R`d up again.
JD.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 17:57   #5
VeryVolvo

The trouble is they don't look different enough - to warrant spending that sort of money I would want a car that looked a bit special!
VeryVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 18:14   #6
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Unfortunately, this new range is hugely different from the "R" cars of old in one aspect and that is performance. The R-design range focuses purely on aesthetics - there is one car sitting in the showroom of the dealership I go to (MRG Chippenham) and yes, it does look different to the discerning Volvo owner / enthusiast, but its not radically different in terms of design and will cetainly not look any different to the majority of people. The main things I noticed were a subtle body kit, aluminium interior trim and embossed "R" logos on the colour coded seat insert and "R-Design" logo on the steering wheel. I must say the latter 2 look quite nice IMO, but the car certainly boasts no increase in performance whatsoever, but that is very much inline with what FORD had always intended for Volvo.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 18:30   #7
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
Unfortunately, this new range is hugely different from the "R" cars of old in one aspect and that is performance. The R-design range focuses purely on aesthetics - there is one car sitting in the showroom of the dealership I go to (MRG Chippenham) and yes, it does look different to the discerning Volvo owner / enthusiast, but its not radically different in terms of design and will cetainly not look any different to the majority of people. The main things I noticed were a subtle body kit, aluminium interior trim and embossed "R" logos on the colour coded seat insert and "R-Design" logo on the steering wheel. I must say the latter 2 look quite nice IMO, but the car certainly boasts no increase in performance whatsoever, but that is very much inline with what FORD had always intended for Volvo.
i really have too say i dont understand ford.... im not sure of the new mondeo, but the focus st was running more power than the st220?

ford with the use of the volvo engine should surely be banging out a 300+bhp modern day cosworth?
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 18:36   #8
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Yes, but FORD bought Volvo because it was cheaper to do that than to "buy" the S80 platform for their luxury US variants and then pay royalties to Volvo for use of the platform. FORD have also made their standpoint very clear from the start; Volvo was not to compete in the performance sector, but the luxury one; they allegedly had Jaquar and Aston Martin as their performance line. Hence, the first thing they did was kill off several high performance "R" projects which were in the pipeline, when they took over, and then "soften" everything so that they could boast about their ST and RS variants when they ultimately came out.

The problem with some of these "Fat Cats" is they're far detached from reality because their sole interest is in profit and keeping shareholders happy; its a pity that in most instances, its the end customer / owner who has to pay the price for their incompetence.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:56   #9
P.C.

Isn't the 'R-design' thing a bit like Audi's 'S-line' option? You just get all the bodykit, logos, exhausts etc but with no real gain in power? Not a real 'R' in any sense...
P.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 17:38   #10
TheG
growl, woosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
Isn't the 'R-design' thing a bit like Audi's 'S-line' option? You just get all the bodykit, logos, exhausts etc but with no real gain in power? Not a real 'R' in any sense...
exactly the same, yes, only a different letter.