Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Moving to an electric C40…

Views : 1790

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2024, 07:39   #41
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Pay per mile has been discussed for a long time now. I see it could be good in ways. The less miles you do, the less you pay. The more miles you do, the more you pay. Let's face it, the cameras are already up. I think it would be fairly easy for them to have more use than just for emissions zones and bus lanes. The tech is already there...

Pay per mile is fair I suppose. Someone who has a large car with a big engine that doesn't do many miles is still paying the same price as the person that does thousands in the same car with the same engine. There's no "in between" now... you just pay x amount and drive as you please.

This is all speculative of course, nothing is confirmed. More tolls are possible, but I think pay-per-mile is the likely replacement for lost fuel duty when EV's become the norm, plus increased road tax for all vehicles. I don't think pay-per-mile will replace road tax and fuel duty... there's going to be something else, possibly still road tax. Or there won't be any road tax, but pay-per-mile will be expensive.

Currently, ICE vehicles are taxed on engine size, fuel type and emissions, plus the "premium tax". I see all that continuing for now, but getting higher and higher. Eventually, people will swap... its what they want. ICE cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon though.

EV's have zero emissions, so they can't charge based on that and there's no engine, so size won't come into it. Therefore, its likely road tax for EV's in future (beyond 2025/before pay-per-mile is introduced (if it is***) could be based on weight, plus the "premium fee" for cars over x value/registered at a certain date.

The Government will get the money back, that's for sure.

All EV's will pay road tax, even the older ones.
We do already have pay per mile of course, in the form of fuel duty & VAT. This obviously rewards people who do lower mileage and/or those who have smaller/more efficient cars. EVs do the same through VAT on electricity but obviously the amounts raised are significantly lower which is really what is driving the need for road pricing.
It's a really difficult issue and Labour (assuming they win the election) will not have an easy time in sorting it out as if they continue with their pledge to ban the sale of ICE cars by 2030 then a replacement for the lost revenues of declining fuel duty will have to be found more quickly and this will likely be a very unpopular policy however it is done.
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 09:43   #42
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
The RFL for EVs applies to all cars from April 25, regardless of when they were built/registered.

The only difference is that cars over £40k list will start to pay the total rip off unjustified “luxury car tax supplement” for cars registered after 1 April
I stand corrected on the RFL then. I think I was mixing up the additional luxury car supplement and the standard RFL. Just googled it and it will be £190 at current levels, which in the grand scheme of my motoring costs is not a massive issue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 15:57   #43
Kugaman1

Got the car 3 days ago….

Typical Volvo, very well screwed together, feels a lot more substantial than my wifes Cupra Born. Came with a 3 year service/wear and tear pack for free.
Bought as a delivery mile pre reg that had been sat in the showroom for 5 months, so is totally immaculate. Massive saving in list price.

Took a steady 160 miles drive home on a mix between motorways and country A Roads….have also done a bit of local running around over the past couple of days…

Currently have 29% battery left and 106 miles range so it looks like just under 300 miles to a charge in the current slightly warmer weather, pretty happy with that!

Performance is incredible and instant…..overtook an Audi A3 on the way home on the A road between Cupar Angus and Forfar…..I almost clipped him! I got up to him much faster than Id expected before Id fully pulled out into overtake position…..this is a very very rapid car in real world driving.

Looking forward’s to trying it with the caravan next. It is heavier, has nearly 160bhp more than the XC60 and almost double the torque. Obviously the range will be an issue, but it looks like 100 miles between charges is more than attainable (chatting to others on FB group they are averaging 140 miles).

As this thread has highlighted, EVs aren't suitable for everyone, but for us, they are ideal and Im very, very impressed with it so far!

Was a sad day trading in the XC60 but the bills were getting bigger and it was time to move it on…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4257.jpeg (72.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5679.jpg (118.7 KB, 27 views)
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 23:32   #44
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
We do already have pay per mile of course, in the form of fuel duty & VAT. This obviously rewards people who do lower mileage and/or those who have smaller/more efficient cars. EVs do the same through VAT on electricity but obviously the amounts raised are significantly lower which is really what is driving the need for road pricing.
It's a really difficult issue and Labour (assuming they win the election) will not have an easy time in sorting it out as if they continue with their pledge to ban the sale of ICE cars by 2030 then a replacement for the lost revenues of declining fuel duty will have to be found more quickly and this will likely be a very unpopular policy however it is done.
That's true... We already have a pay-per-mile system, effectively.

I guess the system is going to be "rebranded" and overhauled to be basically the same as we already have, minus the fuel duty and VAT from the fuel because fuel sales will dwindle.

It won't be any easy decision or system to implement. Like you say, I fear that it won't be properly thought out and cause backlash.

I think such a system would take a lot of time to implement... Its not going to happen overnight. Maybe there's a possibility the Government will implement a pay-per-mile scheme for EV's only at first whilst ICE owners remain on the current system? Then as people swap to EV's, they go to the pay-per-mile scheme. Such an overhaul of the whole system putting every motorist on pay-per-mile would take time, tech and a lot of money. I can't see them doing a "blanket" pay-per-mile system in one go for every single vehicle on the road right from the offset.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 27th, 2024 at 23:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 07:22   #45
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That's true... We already have a pay-per-mile system, effectively.

I guess the system is going to be "rebranded" and overhauled to be basically the same as we already have, minus the fuel duty and VAT from the fuel because fuel sales will dwindle.

It won't be any easy decision or system to implement. Like you say, I fear that it won't be properly thought out and cause backlash.

I think such a system would take a lot of time to implement... Its not going to happen overnight. Maybe there's a possibility the Government will implement a pay-per-mile scheme for EV's only at first whilst ICE owners remain on the current system? Then as people swap to EV's, they go to the pay-per-mile scheme. Such an overhaul of the whole system putting every motorist on pay-per-mile would take time, tech and a lot of money. I can't see them doing a "blanket" pay-per-mile system in one go for every single vehicle on the road right from the offset.
To my mind having a pay-per-mile system for EVs whilst leaving ICE cars just paying fuel duty would make a lot of sense but the rates and how it is 'sold' to the public would need a lot of care to ensure that it is seen to be as fair as possible.
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 23:18   #46
OldEngineer

Quote:
Got the car 3 days ago….

Typical Volvo, very well screwed together, feels a lot more substantial than my wifes Cupra Born. Came with a 3 year service/wear and tear pack for free.
Bought as a delivery mile pre reg that had been sat in the showroom for 5 months, so is totally immaculate. Massive saving in list price.

Took a steady 160 miles drive home on a mix between motorways and country A Roads….have also done a bit of local running around over the past couple of days…

Currently have 29% battery left and 106 miles range so it looks like just under 300 miles to a charge in the current slightly warmer weather, pretty happy with that!

Getting back to my rant about efficiency this equates to 3.66 Miles per Kwh (82 Kwh Battery) The Tesla in that last CarWow test managed 4.7 Miles per Kwh. It would be so much better if we concentrated on efficiency to dissuade huge batteries to hide poor design.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 23:48   #47
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

I'd rather pay the aero penalty for being in a Volvo over a Tesla though and to be fair in the same car wow vid the Polestar with the same platform as the C40 in RWD with the improved motors more like the Telsa it was pretty efficient, unfortunately the performance twin motor of the above car doesn't get the updated motors and of course has two so is less good for economy, more good for pace/towing.

Course I could have the specs wrong and Volvo could have introduced the new gear pre name change as they did with the recharge models, to be nice and clear The usable old is 75kwh, new 79kwh.

But again, even of its the updated rear motor, it has more motors and more power, so you use more electrons, simple really, I did 2mpkw in the Ioniq 5N, was I bovvered, nope, it has a different goal, fun

Last edited by sandys; Yesterday at 01:20.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:23   #48
Stevepvolvo

Quote:

Looking forward’s to trying it with the caravan next. It is heavier, has nearly 160bhp more than the XC60 and almost double the torque. Obviously the range will be an issue, but it looks like 100 miles between charges is more than attainable (chatting to others on FB group they are averaging 140 miles).

As this thread has highlighted, EVs aren't suitable for everyone, but for us, they are ideal and Im very, very impressed with it so far!

Was a sad day trading in the XC60 but the bills were getting bigger and it was time to move it on…
As a caravanner with over 35 years towing experience I am very interested in your experiences with towing a similar weight (1500kg mtplm) van with an ev. I have had diesel volvo’s (xc70’s and then Xc60’s) up until 3 years ago when I changed to a 2019 T5 awd xc60 and was staggered by the petrol pulling power. I am very interested in an ev for all the right/wrong reasons in this thread but have never considered it possible with my size of van. Your thread has really intrigued me and as I am now retired, towing with more frequent stops over a longer period is now an option. I would be very interested for you to continue to update this thread (or perhaps start a new one) focusing on how you find your ev along with towing experience, charging enroute and overnight at caravan and motor home sites (we use those) etc. I believe caravanners have been “forgotten” in the shift to ev and those that you hear of generally have small vans. Yours is the first time I’ve read someone towing a medium sized (1500kg mtplm) van that matches mine, with an ev. I’d love to hear more of your experiences as you go along
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevepvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 06:59   #49
Kugaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
I'd rather pay the aero penalty for being in a Volvo over a Tesla though and to be fair in the same car wow vid the Polestar with the same platform as the C40 in RWD with the improved motors more like the Telsa it was pretty efficient, unfortunately the performance twin motor of the above car doesn't get the updated motors and of course has two so is less good for economy, more good for pace/towing.

Course I could have the specs wrong and Volvo could have introduced the new gear pre name change as they did with the recharge models, to be nice and clear The usable old is 75kwh, new 79kwh.

But again, even of its the updated rear motor, it has more motors and more power, so you use more electrons, simple really, I did 2mpkw in the Ioniq 5N, was I bovvered, nope, it has a different goal, fun
Just for info - my car has the latest, updated batteries. 82kwh, of which 79 is useable. I deliberately sought out the updated model for the better range.

In fairness, a good chunk of my first run out was motorway which would lower the average economy….
Old Today, 11:44   #50
Kugaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepvolvo View Post
As a caravanner with over 35 years towing experience I am very interested in your experiences with towing a similar weight (1500kg mtplm) van with an ev. I have had diesel volvo’s (xc70’s and then Xc60’s) up until 3 years ago when I changed to a 2019 T5 awd xc60 - I’d love to hear more of your experiences as you go along
Hi SteveP, no problem- we are planning our first run out in the next weekend or so…I will let you know how it goes!

I’ve asked the moderators of this site about adding an EV section on the forums….no sign yet but surely we need one now?