Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil in the coolant tank...opps

Views : 278

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 20:20   #1
Pastymunchingxc70

Default Oil in the coolant tank...opps

Head gasket ran through my mind at first.but maybe iam lucky...oil cooler had wanted to check the oil.Well that will teach me won't it, when I buy a volvo (3rd) I've had change the oil coolers just incase. Ended up last night with a coolant tank full of nice rich engine oil. Car got me home so now I need to do that on it. NOTE if you buy a car with a cooler change it like I did on the 1st and 2nd v70s that I had.
So now it's a cooler,seals,oil change,coolant change and thermostat. Ohh and a good clean.
On the coolant front once clean, do I have to use green or can I use any other type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3937A89-D10D-4BF1-801F-BC82D50ADCEF.jpg (95.9 KB, 7 views)
Pastymunchingxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 20:52   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

What causes the oil coolers to fail?
It's an internal failure, yes?

I'd use Volvo blue (G48?) style coolant. It's just a few farthings more and the stuff is know to last a long time. It is available in concentrate.

At some point the Volvo coolant appears to have changed to a pale green color.

Many regard G-05 (yellow) as today's universal coolant. I know people use it in P2 Volvos.

I'm servicing my 17 year old V70 cooling system and have blue standing by. It has had blue in it since birth.

I've never read anything about oil cooler failures.
Do you know an approximate lifespan?

And best of luck cleaning your system.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Jun 23rd, 2024 at 21:02.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 21:16   #3
Pastymunchingxc70

Mines on a 2006 and done 159k. So I guess it's dome well, oil coolers that go bad are not uncommon by reading. Most think it's a head issue and actually it's a cooler issue, I don't get why they even have one fitted, does it actually need one. Is there a way to test it when it's on the car. Knowing my luck i will be in the 1% that has a head gasket gone.Will have to see what my local parts guy says about it all. Be so much easier if it was pink or purple as I have gallons of that in the garage as other car is a touran.
Why do volvo have to always be different
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 21:36   #4
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Unfortunately the coolers have known to give bother along with the trans oil cooler also. Had a leaking one on my old S60.

Just be aware that the oil contamination will swell the coolant hoses which makes them go squidgy. Shortly after a leaking EGR coolant hose came to light.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 21:48   #5
Pastymunchingxc70

What's the best way round my issue.
Clean out expansion tank,drain all coolant,remove thermostat,bypass cooler and flush system. Then refit thermostat.
Or bypass cooler clean it and see if I still get oil in it. If I do... Panic.
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 22:00   #6
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

I’d get some rad flush or similar, water alone won’t take the oil out the system. Then plenty of drain and fills with the hose pipe. I’d remove the header tank to clean also. Then when you think you have it clean a weak mix of coolant which will ensure any reminants are flushed before the final fill. For the final fill I’d buy the Volvo ready mixed stuff. It’s not expensive and you won’t need to change it again as long as you have no further issue.

I’d be more suspect of the engine oil cooler than a head issue. These don’t really suffer gasket failures unless overheated.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Jun 23rd, 2024 at 22:03.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 22:23   #7
Pastymunchingxc70

Some have said use dishwasher tablets in it to clean the system, don't know weather persil or asda 😂 never seen it overheat once in 3k I've used it. It's been running fine engine wise. Going to do the thermostat housing at same time. It's just all a ball ache to sort and clean. Well least it gets another service too. My bargain xc70 is starting to cost now ohh well. The fun of having a volvo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pastymunchingxc70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 08:30   #8
mcfe

Oil in the coolant system is tough to clean. I've had oil spots appear months after various work I did. From the initial head gasket replacement and inevitable oil getting into the coolant passages to a failed engine radiator(with integrated ATF cooler) that mixed ATF with coolant.

I've done many flushes with specialty cleaners, but even then it's difficult.
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcfe For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 10:42   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

you can also use lemon juice to clean out a contaminated cooling system you will also need to change the oil and filter just in case any coolant has entered the oil system.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 19:45   #10
Pastymunchingxc70

My plan is... Now is bypass the cooler clean the coolant system then run it with no coolant pipes on the cooler and see if it leaks... Fingers crossed it does. Then drain oil renew cooler, clean again the coolant system then connect cooler and then pray to the swedish gods it works.
Lemons ermmm would cheap ones do or do I have to be posh and get m&s ones😂😂.