Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Hybrid Questions

Views : 922

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2022, 17:26   #1
macaulays

Default V60 Hybrid Questions

Evening All,

I've previously had an Outlander Plug-In hybrid and am toying with a V60 Hybrid as a second vehicle for mainly short trips (c. 16-20 miles a day of school run etc that my wife would typically undertake). Below are some of the issues we found with our Outlander when we had it and I'd be interested in any experience of V60 plug in ownership to see if any of the below would be/not be the case:

i) the Outlander needed a certain punt of fuel added on a periodic basis (something like 30 or more litres in one fill at least every 60vor 90 days, something like that) or it threw a dashboard.maintenance error light, is the V60 the same?

ii) the Outlander would always fire the petrol engine for a few mins on startup if the external temp was below c. 10C (which in Aberdeen is a fair chunk of the year!) to preheat the oil etc I believe in connection with stop/start. On short journeys that often meant the petrol engine running for most of the journey even if battery charge could have fulfilled the journey on EV only, is the V60 the same?

iii) the Outlander would always fire the petrol engine (with a.bit of a lag) if you pressed the accelerator more than the barest amount when accelerating out of junctions etc, as it was a 'mk1' there was no way to force EV only mode (which O think only came in from the 2016 facelift) so relaxed junction exits were almost never possible. Does the V60 allow electric only accelerations if you are happy to not have the extra push of the diesel or would it always want the combined mode in that situation typically?

iv) 'brochure' range for the Outlander was c. 32 miles on full charge. Our driving tended to be short but higher speed (e.g. 4 miles on an A-road for school drop off) and we would routinely get 15-19 miles of 55-60mpgndriving from our five year old, 75% battery health car. Any experience of real world mileage one might expect now from a similar age and driving type of V60 would be really handy.

Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Sandy
macaulays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 19:01   #2
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaulays View Post
Evening All,

I've previously had an Outlander Plug-In hybrid and am toying with a V60 Hybrid as a second vehicle for mainly short trips (c. 16-20 miles a day of school run etc that my wife would typically undertake). Below are some of the issues we found with our Outlander when we had it and I'd be interested in any experience of V60 plug in ownership to see if any of the below would be/not be the case:

i) the Outlander needed a certain punt of fuel added on a periodic basis (something like 30 or more litres in one fill at least every 60vor 90 days, something like that) or it threw a dashboard.maintenance error light, is the V60 the same?

ii) the Outlander would always fire the petrol engine for a few mins on startup if the external temp was below c. 10C (which in Aberdeen is a fair chunk of the year!) to preheat the oil etc I believe in connection with stop/start. On short journeys that often meant the petrol engine running for most of the journey even if battery charge could have fulfilled the journey on EV only, is the V60 the same?

iii) the Outlander would always fire the petrol engine (with a.bit of a lag) if you pressed the accelerator more than the barest amount when accelerating out of junctions etc, as it was a 'mk1' there was no way to force EV only mode (which O think only came in from the 2016 facelift) so relaxed junction exits were almost never possible. Does the V60 allow electric only accelerations if you are happy to not have the extra push of the diesel or would it always want the combined mode in that situation typically?

iv) 'brochure' range for the Outlander was c. 32 miles on full charge. Our driving tended to be short but higher speed (e.g. 4 miles on an A-road for school drop off) and we would routinely get 15-19 miles of 55-60mpgndriving from our five year old, 75% battery health car. Any experience of real world mileage one might expect now from a similar age and driving type of V60 would be really handy.

Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Sandy
Only had Mine for 2 months so:-

1. My mileage means I fill up at least every other week, but not heard of this issue on V60.
2. Mine has only done at or below 0c so far. Plus you plug it in overnight and set a timer to preheat/ precondition for when you come out the door in the morning. Also an optional feature to do unplugged remotely if opted for.
3. Yes EV only mode (Pure) decent shove but you modulate the throttle and keep below an indicator line to avoid the engine firing. When fully charged it is pure up to 78ish mph
4. I have driven regularly to work 22m in the last 2 winter months with tiny diesel cut in. Most people say more in summer - 25/26 ?I

Plus, Polestar upgrade means it's proper quick in Power mode, if your wife is interested!

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Mar 8th, 2022 at 19:05.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 10:27   #3
cerisu

1. I`ve never had any issues. It only remaind you when fuel is too low.
2. Volvo had kinf of same. If uou use pre heater, motor runs couple of seconds. When the temperatuse drops below -20 celcius, then engine runs longer.
3. same as previous post
4. I have about 12 miles to work, and it`s only higway. I drive it always in hybrit and diesel engine does not run. I think it might be around 22 miles of electricity in hybrid and pure might be more. Of course debending your driving habits. Less power, more mileages. Bye the way, i have 2014 D6, so battery ain`t new anymore
cerisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 11:31   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

This may help answer some of your questions:

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp.../fuel---diesel

"Old diesel fuel (from approx. 5 months and older) in combination with condensation can, in some circumstances, lead to algal and bacterial growth in the fuel system and/or oxidation of the fuel with the risk of operational disruption as a result.

To avoid such problems, the car has a built-in function which checks the age of the fuel. In connection with this, a self-explanatory text message may appear, for example:

Aged fuel Start diesel engine to consume fuel
Aged fuel Engine will run to consume fuel
Aged fuel Fill up fuel tank"

"the car has a market-dependent function which automatically limits the option of using electric operation with the PURE or HYBRID drive mode in low temperatures. If such a situation occurs then the diesel engine will be running the whole time.

Diesel fuel thermal resistance is a measure of the usefulness of the fuel at low temperatures. Normally, the diesel fuel's thermal properties are adapted to the climate zone and season in which it is distributed and sold.

The automatic limitation in low temperatures increases gradually depending on the age of the fuel in the tank. When the car has recently been refuelled there is no limitation, but it increases the older the fuel in the tank becomes, counted in months.

The purpose of the function is, in low outside temperatures, to allow the car to consume fuel at such a rate that fresh fuel - with the correct thermal resistance - can/must be added before the critical temperature for the current fuel is reached"
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 19:47   #5
macaulays

Thanks all - that's really helpful. Just the sort of real world info I was looking for.

Cheers!
macaulays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 13:19   #6
D6PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Only had Mine for 2 months so:-

1. My mileage means I fill up at least every other week, but not heard of this issue on V60.
2. Mine has only done at or below 0c so far. Plus you plug it in overnight and set a timer to preheat/ precondition for when you come out the door in the morning. Also an optional feature to do unplugged remotely if opted for.
3. Yes EV only mode (Pure) decent shove but you modulate the throttle and keep below an indicator line to avoid the engine firing. When fully charged it is pure up to 78ish mph
4. I have driven regularly to work 22m in the last 2 winter months with tiny diesel cut in. Most people say more in summer - 25/26 ?I

Plus, Polestar upgrade means it's proper quick in Power mode, if your wife is interested!
Found that to be too expensive for what it is.

Got my D6 Stage 2 tuned from Rica Engineering in the Netherlands.
Extra 60bhp and 96nm.
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 22:09   #7
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

My car is under a Volvo used warranty, so I want to protect that if anything goes wrong, and avoid any reasons not to cover. That's part of the cost decision for me. Similar increases.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 16:50   #8
Yorkshire2160

Default V60 hybrid

Polestar upgrade does not effect volvo warranty as it is an official Volvo upgrade. However you insurance is another matter.
Yorkshire2160 is offline   Reply With Quote