Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

canis is in the market for an XC90

Views : 1153

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2024, 23:55   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'm a bit concerned that you're underestimating the complexities of Canbus. You might get away with the interior lights, but the DRLs are definitely not just a wire-snip on a P2. The good news is that if you find someone with VIDA, they can be turned off. I suspect that it's headlights-as-DRLs or nothing (i.e. headlight switch works "normally"), though.

You might be able to get some of the other stuff to work how you want, but modern cars really don't like you messing with their electrics without that first involving software...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 02:36   #22
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I'm a bit concerned that you're underestimating the complexities of Canbus. You might get away with the interior lights, but the DRLs are definitely not just a wire-snip on a P2. The good news is that if you find someone with VIDA, they can be turned off. I suspect that it's headlights-as-DRLs or nothing (i.e. headlight switch works "normally"), though.

You might be able to get some of the other stuff to work how you want, but modern cars really don't like you messing with their electrics without that first involving software...

cheers

James
Yes, it's certainly more complicated from what I've seen so far. I am qualified in computer networking, so although I might not know the canbus protocol, I'm confident I'll at least know when to stop. I understand the difference between data signals and normal electrical current.

Having said that, I'm currently in reciept of a ton of abuse on facebook after getting annoyed at a meme I saw just once too often. Apparently the manual now tells us not to drink the contents of the battery, but people 50 years ago were smarter than that, and could adjust their own valves.

It annoys me, because the manual supplied with cars tells neither of these things for all the years I've been reading them. Haynes manuals obviously explain valve clearances, but these aren't supplied with the car. I checked the XC90 manual provided, and it doesn't say not to drink the battery. I simply don't believe it's true, but then I'm one of those strange people who actually does RTFM. It's just yet another attack on the young by an older generation in an ivory tower. It's not fair, and I didn't want to tolerate it, because age strikes me as a very peculiar thing to find fault with. We all start out young. And we all get old, hopefully.

So I wrote back criticising the meme. A valve, as we all know, is just a dumb solid object with no adjustment at all. What they obviously mean is cam followers. I had presumed people would understand that included tappets without saying - but apparently not. Some people got it. Some people understood exactly what I meant even if they didn't agree. It appears hatred for the young is very well supported. But others were extremely unpleasant, insisting I don't know what I'm talking about. Logical fallacies then were thrown around like sweeties at a pantomime, I got it all - ad hominim, argument from incredulance, bandwagon, straw man, argument from (their own) authority (non-evidenced, of course), and burden of proof.

Apparently I'm a youtube mechanic. The bookcase of books I have does not exist. I mean, I've done all my own repairs since my first car in 1986. I've taken cars entirely to bits and back together again. I've overhauled engines, I've welded things, and I was trained in vehicle body repair which covers a lot of suspension components too as well as the collision damage to engines, especially radiators, which occurs during front end impacts. Don't forget that usually includes intercoolers these days, oil coolers, etc. I've had cars hanging from each end on chains using hydraulics. I've even hung a car from tree on one very desperate occasion. I've even built buses! I admit where my knowledge meets it's limits quite freely, I don't bull**** at all, and I'm willing to accept correction if I'm wrong. But I didn't deserve this level of name-calling.

So I'm starting to doubt myself now. I'd like to just shrug it off and say it isn't affecting me, but it actually is. I've stopped engaging with the thread, but the notifications keep on coming. This isn't slowing down.

It's not the first time it's happened, although it is by far the worst. Like the time a chap tried telling me that he was perfectly able to tell if a tyre was underinflated just by looking, and 20 years in the trade said so. I tried to explain if he's sending cars out by looking without testing, he'd be unaware of his own level of inaccuracy. But still he argued that a poxy £1.50 on a tyre pressure guage was a waste of money, and that I didn't know what I was talking about since most cars these days have their own tyre pressure monitoring systems. Again, I tried to explain that if that's the case, they'd know about it since they're looking straight at a dashboard telling them so, but this fell on deaf ears and was simply exploited as a means of attacking me once again. Circular arguments then followed.

Do these people think contradiction equals intelligence? I'm not certain why they feel this abuse makes them appear clever.

I'm not saying you're doing that, by the way, you aren't. I appreciate the input from the members of the forum here. It's a very pleasant place to be and I'm glad to be back. But I'm really starting to think maybe I should just hang up the thousands of pounds worth of tools I apparently don't own and just retire from the scene.

So I'm feeling a bit low right now. What really stung was when they said I was a disservice to all those folks who'd spent weekends fixing cars with their dads. My dad, despite being a competant home mechanic himself, never taught me anything. That hurt. I *wish* I coudl've fixed up an old car with my dad. I tried and tried, but he always remained distant and focussed on his "new" family. We haven't spoken since his poison letter about ten years ago.

Maybe they're right. Maybe I should just give it all up. Maybe I'm deluded. Maybe insane...

I appreciate the warning. Do you know anyone with VIDA? I would prefer a software solution, but for some reason Volvo et al keep everything under wraps. It's a twenty year old car, nobody will be taking this for dealership servicing now. It's served it's target market already. They've had their money out of it. And me keeping it on the road means they still sell me parts, which they wouldn't if it wasn't.

I've got a book on order which hasn't yet arrived, containing all sorts of information about the XC90 wiring and modules. I'll be better informed once I read it. Then I can make a proper assessment for what I'd like to make happen and if it can be done.

As a very hasty generalisation, the trick is to ensure the computer thinks nothing has changed. As far as it's concerned, it's sent out a signal to switch the light on. It doesn't need to know it's not a light, but is in fact a relay with sufficient resistence in line to appear identical, and the relay can then be used to do other useful things drawing current from somewhere else. No matter what happens, eventually some final module somewhere inevitably must control the power for the bulb, and that's something I can test for harmlessly. Or at least, that's the theory. It's not just cars, either. You should see what I did to my freezer. What's going to blow this method is the gradual fade. That usually occurs electronically within the lamp itself, but in this case it might be entirely different. At the time of writing, I don't actually know the answer to this, I've been focussing on other things.

The really complicated bit will be power use. I don't mind the computer doing it's thing from the car's battery, but I'm trying to make the actual current producing the actual light draw from an auxilliary battery instead. This may yet prove to be impossible, or at least too complicated for me. In which case, I'll stop.

But I thank you for your concern. I'll tread even more carefully. Or maybe just give up, I dunno, I'm feeling really deflated right now.

If anyone in the manchester area has VIDA, please message me. I have beer. In the meantime, keep supplying me knowledge. Because I'm not so hubristic to believe I don't need any more. Every day is an opportunity to learn something new.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 08:40   #23
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Morning, 'canis'. Thank you. You have just very eloquently explained why I don't 'do' social media.

But I'm not convinced that the abuse that you suffered is an attack on young people per se.

I rank advice not to drink the contents of your battery on the same level as, for example, that given on certain chocolate bars, promoted as containing fruit and nuts, that 'this product may contain nuts'. Things like these should be obvious, but companies nowadays are obliged to state the obvious in an attempt to avoid possible litigation.

That is just one example, I could go on. I think it stems more from a lack of common sense and people, of all ages, not just the young, not being allowed (or considered able) to think for themselves. Very simply, I don't need to put my hand in the fire to know that it will burn, or go to the North Pole to know that I will find ice there.

Protect the young and vulnerable by all means, but also give people credit for the innate common sense that most of us are fortunate enough to have been born with.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 15:44   #24
Simmy
Premier Member

hi dont let keyboard warriors get to you canis i have vida and live close by in chadderton.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 01:08   #25
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm not convinced that the abuse that you suffered is an attack on young people per se. ... give people credit for the innate common sense that most of us are fortunate enough to have been born with.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant attacks based on age in both directions are a form of predjudice. The internet meme annoyed me because it's not true. There is no such warning, at least none I can find. False memes seem to be a new form of propaganda, only this time it's personal. Anyone can make one and go viral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
hi dont let keyboard warriors get to you canis i have vida and live close by in chadderton.
I think we spoke before. I was meaning to go through my history and find you again. Thanks for the offer. We'll meet up and drink beer soon, I've just got a couple more bits to do first. Then we'll hit it.

Does VIDA also do OBDii codes? I did build a machine to read OBD codes built into a trolley. Basically a common-or-garden PC. It didn't survive the vibrations from being rolled across the concrete floor and broke down in the typical manner of a PC shaken to death after only a couple of uses. Yes, I know, I should've gone wireless. Or used a laptop. I try to work with what I have available. It seemed like a good idea at the time. We live and learn.

Thanks for the reassurance.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 09:55   #26
Simmy
Premier Member

vida is a comprehensive tool can read codes suggest possible repair its a parts list and a workshop manual it can also test various components and read live data from the engine for multiple volvo models its not intuitive and can be quite difficult to use . itsa must have for any volvo owner ps there are multiple volvo groups in the north west who have member with lots of contacts for volvo related things..
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: