Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 S60 D5 Lux Nav R-Line G/T

Views : 6461

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread : S60NickJ

Old Jun 14th, 2024, 15:45   #81
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqar92 View Post
Warranty covers up to a couple of thousand. It may cover it but I don’t know if the car would be the same after work carried out to the engine. Granted it is not major problems from a used vehicle, but I brought into this with the hope that I don’t have to touch the engine at all for a good 5 years. I did my research before buying into this car and engine and I definitely can’t fault it for the model and spec. It’s unique and drives great, and sounds powerful. Maybe I’m being overly negative.

Nothing... Just going to continue driving my 18 year old golf which I’ve owned for 9 years. Basic but it has served me well (apart from under chassis rust, few suspension components at MOT, and drinking little more oil over the years of ownership). Mechanically it has been brilliant (brought at 50k, and still going strong at 140k). All I do is regular oil and filler change at intervals of 10-12k miles myself. Hardly spent anything major apart from small upgrades when I purchased to make it little more unique.
Golf's are very good cars. My Brother had a 2006 2 litre TDI with a manual transmission that he bought for his girlfriend. Goodness me, that thing was fast. The only thing he ever had to do to it in his ownership was replace a broken spring, replace the alternator pulley and a cam belt/water pump. That was all, apart from routine servicing and tyre changes. It was basic inside being a "match" model, but adequate all the same.

Anyway, his girlfriend decided she wanted an SUV instead of the Golf. My Brother looked at Tiguan's, but they were too expensive. So he ended up buying a 1.5 diesel Qashqai... his girlfriend liked the look of it. To be fair, it wasn't a bad car either. He had no trouble with it really only a wiper motor. that decided to give up on a day that happened to be raining heavily.

The Qashqai just didn't have the same refinement as the Volkswagen though, it wasn't even close. He asked me for my honest opinion when I drove the Qashqai for the first time. I said the Golf was a nicer drive, but I liked the high driving position that the Qashqai had. He agreed, but his girlfriend wanted an SUV. He wished he bought a Tiguan instead, but it would have cost much more than he was willing to spend.

The nicest small car I've driven is a Golf. I was surprised at how refined it was. It drove like a much bigger car.... Very solid over the bumps and comfortable. There's a reason they're expensive to buy used... they're the king of the small hatchbacks in my opinion. They're surprisingly roomy too for their size. There's as much leg room in the back of a Golf as there is in a Volvo V70, which is surprising considering a V70 is a much bigger car.

I don't know much about the petrol TSI engines. I've heard they consume oil, but every car has issues I suppose. What size engine do you have? How much oil are you adding to it between services approximately?

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 14th, 2024 at 15:49.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 00:16   #82
Waqar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Golf's are very good cars. My Brother had a 2006 2 litre TDI with a manual transmission that he bought for his girlfriend. Goodness me, that thing was fast. The only thing he ever had to do to it in his ownership was replace a broken spring, replace the alternator pulley and a cam belt/water pump. That was all, apart from routine servicing and tyre changes. It was basic inside being a "match" model, but adequate all the same.

Anyway, his girlfriend decided she wanted an SUV instead of the Golf. My Brother looked at Tiguan's, but they were too expensive. So he ended up buying a 1.5 diesel Qashqai... his girlfriend liked the look of it. To be fair, it wasn't a bad car either. He had no trouble with it really only a wiper motor. that decided to give up on a day that happened to be raining heavily.

The Qashqai just didn't have the same refinement as the Volkswagen though, it wasn't even close. He asked me for my honest opinion when I drove the Qashqai for the first time. I said the Golf was a nicer drive, but I liked the high driving position that the Qashqai had. He agreed, but his girlfriend wanted an SUV. He wished he bought a Tiguan instead, but it would have cost much more than he was willing to spend.

The nicest small car I've driven is a Golf. I was surprised at how refined it was. It drove like a much bigger car.... Very solid over the bumps and comfortable. There's a reason they're expensive to buy used... they're the king of the small hatchbacks in my opinion. They're surprisingly roomy too for their size. There's as much leg room in the back of a Golf as there is in a Volvo V70, which is surprising considering a V70 is a much bigger car.

I don't know much about the petrol TSI engines. I've heard they consume oil, but every car has issues I suppose. What size engine do you have? How much oil are you adding to it between services approximately?
I have a 1.4TSI. When driving with a full load, it struggles obviously. However, just myself or my wife it drives and has enough power on local and motorway driving. The s60 has 18” wheels which look great but delivers a crashy ride on uneven surfaces with potholes. The Golf suspension soaks in most of the road imperfections. It definitely comes down to the lighter weight of the car (approximately 1.4 tonnes vs s60’s 1.7 tonnes). If compared to a Passat, weight is still lighter and again seems to me that the lighter body does justice even with lower profile sporty setup. Maybe the r-design specifically is just not a great drive on UK roads. I’ve not tried the standard S60 so that may compare similar to my golf in ride comfort. It’s just a shame that our roads are becoming worse and affecting the ride quality of our vehicles along with the additional cost of repairs on our suspension components, which I assume would be greater on a heavier car with a firm suspension setup.

Oil consumption, maybe a litre per 5k. It depends how hard I drive the vehicle also. It does seem that gaskets let out little oil as it is visible around the block but it’s not been significant enough for me to warrant investigating. Easier and cheaper to just top it up when required and carry on driving.
Waqar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 18:50   #83
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqar92 View Post
Nothing... Just going to continue driving my 18 year old golf which I’ve owned for 9 years. Basic but it has served me well (apart from under chassis rust, few suspension components at MOT, and drinking little more oil over the years of ownership). Mechanically it has been brilliant (brought at 50k, and still going strong at 140k). All I do is regular oil and filler change at intervals of 10-12k miles myself. Hardly spent anything major apart from small upgrades when I purchased to make it little more unique.
Your Golf looks great, and how time flies. As a serial VW nerd as well as a more recent Volvo enthusiast, I remember arranging to hire a Mk5 Golf when it was a new model to visit the VW Autostadt in Wolfsburg in 2004. I picked it up at Berlin airport as I recall. Was that 20 years ago? Yikes!