Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Laird Scooby

Views : 971

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 17:50   #11
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Wink

:icon_smile_ lachuh::icon _smile_lachuh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Last I heard he hydrolocked his 760 on meths and chopped it in for a Honda CRV! 🤭
Rumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 18:00   #12
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
It's a pity if he no longer takes part in this forum.

His knowledge and passion for this range of cars was unequalled.
Go to ‘Seriously’ in the 240 section. The Sage is available, fret not!🧐
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 22:47   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks all for your concern etc and as noted further up, i now have a Honda CR-V which is much easier to get in/out of for me.

I did consider many other cars including V70/XC70 etc but nothing quite fitted what i was looking for and then this CR-V came up locally, not just at a good price but very good px on the 760 and my Rover 827 Sterling against it.
Had a few problems with the Honda, some of which caused a lot of head scratching due to being intermittent but more or less sorted now.

As i also help run a Honda forum (and have done for several years) my time is now spent more on there which is only to be expected really.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 23:07   #14
940volvoman
Master Member

All good things must come to an end,sadly.
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 00:31   #15
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Glad all's well, 'L.S.'.

Don't have much experience of Honda. We did have a little OHC twin-pot outboard motor on a boat many moons ago which was absolutely brilliant - built like the proverbial Swiss watch. That, and a '67 P50 (engine in wheel) moped complete my experience. The 'ped stood out at the time as one of the very few 4-strokes in a sea awash with basic 2T motors.

ATB, John.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 11:40   #16
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks all for your concern etc and as noted further up, i now have a Honda CR-V which is much easier to get in/out of for me.

I did consider many other cars including V70/XC70 etc but nothing quite fitted what i was looking for and then this CR-V came up locally, not just at a good price but very good px on the 760 and my Rover 827 Sterling against it.
Had a few problems with the Honda, some of which caused a lot of head scratching due to being intermittent but more or less sorted now.

As i also help run a Honda forum (and have done for several years) my time is now spent more on there which is only to be expected really.
I told you he was a V-Tec boy!
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 16:13   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I told you he was a V-Tec boy!
As it goes, this is my first VTEC car and just to be awkward, it's i-VTEC which is useful, feel it kick in at low revs going up hills etc.

My Jag also has a version of VTEC (but Jaguar call it something different) which kicks in partly at 3krpm and properly at 4krpm - lovely howl out of the tail pipes! Also has variable length intakes which helps too.

My 760 also used to make a nice howl from the tailpipes, not quite as gruff as the Jag as it was only 12v but that 90deg V6 has a growl all of its own.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 16:41   #18
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Glad you're ok LS.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Honda with a bargepole now! I bought a 2013 Civic 1.6 d-tec about 8 months ago, and spent over £2k on it in 6 months before deciding enough is enough and I virtually gave it away as a part-ex against a one owner S40 2.4i.

DPF failure, front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, rear brake sensor wiring, central locking issues, near side window motor failures (both doors), DMF, and finally the steering rack needed replacing. Thats on a car with a full Honda service history. Everyone says i was unlucky, but wow, thats one heck of a Friday car

I've had the S40 two months now (its our daily as I don't want to risk the 850R or 940 in supermarket carparks!), and I've replaced the tyres and cambelt and thats it so far. It was a one lady owner car with a full Volvo service history and just 82k miles up.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 17:57   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Glad you're ok LS.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Honda with a bargepole now! I bought a 2013 Civic 1.6 d-tec about 8 months ago, and spent over £2k on it in 6 months before deciding enough is enough and I virtually gave it away as a part-ex against a one owner S40 2.4i.

DPF failure, front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, rear brake sensor wiring, central locking issues, near side window motor failures (both doors), DMF, and finally the steering rack needed replacing. Thats on a car with a full Honda service history. Everyone says i was unlucky, but wow, thats one heck of a Friday car

I've had the S40 two months now (its our daily as I don't want to risk the 850R or 940 in supermarket carparks!), and I've replaced the tyres and cambelt and thats it so far. It was a one lady owner car with a full Volvo service history and just 82k miles up.
That's because it was a diseasel Sam, on many cars Honda don't use their own diesels, not sure on the 1.3 D-TEC Civic but i wouldn't go near a Honda diesel either.

Old Jun 17th, 2024, 19:06   #20
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As it goes, this is my first VTEC car and just to be awkward, it's i-VTEC which is useful, feel it kick in at low revs going up hills etc.

My Jag also has a version of VTEC (but Jaguar call it something different) which kicks in partly at 3krpm and properly at 4krpm - lovely howl out of the tail pipes! Also has variable length intakes which helps too.

My 760 also used to make a nice howl from the tailpipes, not quite as gruff as the Jag as it was only 12v but that 90deg V6 has a growl all of its own.
vtec can be tiresome,I used to have a Honda S2000 which behaved like any n/a 2.0 until it caught fire at around 6k and then run up behind Miss Daisy and the vtec dream was over…Glad you are still here anyway mate
Rumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rumbo For This Useful Post: