Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed MOT. Lambda?

Views : 364

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2024, 10:46   #11
Rversteeg
Master Member

Now I see why you needed the O2 sensor p/n!

As Classicswede already explained, the lambda value is the relation between the amount of air you need for a full combustion and the amount of air that is actually available. Ideally this relation is 1. Anything below one indicates that the combustion is rich (not enough air / too much fuel), anything above indicates the combustion is lean (too much air / not enough fuel). 1.35 is too lean.

The O2 sensor measures the amount of air in the exhaust gasses, at lambda = 1 the measured voltage over the sensor is about 0.45 V.
The ECU will constantly adjust the mixture to maintain this 0.45 V voltage. As the ECU is constantly adjusting the mixture around lambda = 1, you should see the O2 sensor voltage fluctuate around 0.45 V. Although it is not the sensor itself that causes the voltage to fluctuate, a constant voltage is usually an indication of a faulty sensor ("stuck" at single value). It could also be that the sensor calibration is off, which gives false information to the ECU. The measured voltage would then still be fluctuating around 0.45 V, but the mixture is too rich or lean.
The sensor is considered to be a wear part anyway, so replacing after 500K km is not a bad thing anyway.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 11:00   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Correct, he did not give me the figures. He said/the paper says, the reason it failed was the lambda value, not the exhaust values. But I understand knowing those could help diagnose.

In your opinion could this be as simple as replacing the O2 sensor?
No not until you have eliminated an air leak or high fuel pressure for example Guessing can be much more expensive than getting it diagnosed Professionally.

All the Lambda sensor is doing is measuring the Oxygen content of the exhaust gas and a lot can affect that.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 12:21   #13
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
Now I see why you needed the O2 sensor p/n!

As Classicswede already explained, the lambda value is the relation between the amount of air you need for a full combustion and the amount of air that is actually available. Ideally this relation is 1. Anything below one indicates that the combustion is rich (not enough air / too much fuel), anything above indicates the combustion is lean (too much air / not enough fuel). 1.35 is too lean.

The O2 sensor measures the amount of air in the exhaust gasses, at lambda = 1 the measured voltage over the sensor is about 0.45 V.
The ECU will constantly adjust the mixture to maintain this 0.45 V voltage. As the ECU is constantly adjusting the mixture around lambda = 1, you should see the O2 sensor voltage fluctuate around 0.45 V. Although it is not the sensor itself that causes the voltage to fluctuate, a constant voltage is usually an indication of a faulty sensor ("stuck" at single value). It could also be that the sensor calibration is off, which gives false information to the ECU. The measured voltage would then still be fluctuating around 0.45 V, but the mixture is too rich or lean.
The sensor is considered to be a wear part anyway, so replacing after 500K km is not a bad thing anyway.
Thx. I'll try testing it today to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No not until you have eliminated an air leak or high fuel pressure for example Guessing can be much more expensive than getting it diagnosed Professionally.

All the Lambda sensor is doing is measuring the Oxygen content of the exhaust gas and a lot can affect that.
I know I have an exhaust manifold leak, but it can't be that, because the last MOT was 3 months ago and the car passed without issues.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 18:51   #14
SalvadorP
Master Member

I've tested it. Here's a video of it. Can I get some opinions?
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/wuFj5_RTX...0GZg8E3Qb5bcop

The value seems to fluctuate quite a bit. After the video I disconnected a vacuum line and the value went to zero, and then slowly it increase to the values in the video again, or similar. It definitely reacted to the vacuum leak.
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 22:38   #15
SalvadorP
Master Member

Ordered the lambda, bosch. On the phone guy said 89€. Went to grab it today, guy asks me 109€. "It's 89, plus tax." On the phone they did not say it was 89 plus tax. There was no mentioning of 89 being pre tax.

The oem from volvo is 120€. But Volvo Portugal is a joke. The part had to come from Sweeden and would take at least 10 working days...

I should have just bought the same bosch part from autodoc for 85€.