Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D 07 Left Side Clatter

Views : 136

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2024, 22:30   #1
coanda

Default V50 2.0D 07 Left Side Clatter

Car: V50 2.0D 2007 190,000 miles I've done around 70k of that.

Hey everyone, I am looking for other opinions after following the process below. I have a loud clatter from the left front wheel area for some time now. It is directly related to wheel speed, tone changes when turning under way and when going over speed bumps/ramps. The sound builds from 30-40, is worst at 40 and drops off towards 70+. It must sound horrible from outside as its quite bad from the inside.

So, what have I done to solve this problem:

0.Going in to this task I had decent alloys and brand new tyres - fully balanced.

1. Changed the inner steering rod and the rod end(twice because I ripped the ball joint boots in the below work). There was play in the inner steering rod ball joint, so this fixed the play but did not change the noise.

2. Replaced the wheel bearing (btw ford focus 2007 hubs are 3mm shorter bore depth than the 07 V50 hubs so remember that if you want to use them with new bearings - everything else is exactly the same. Did not change the problem at all, and I then reverted to stock because of the 3mm issue. There was no discernable play in the wheel bearing on the car but the first troubleshooting step with these noises is wheel bearing usually. I also replaced the A-arm because I ripped the boot on the ball joint separating the damn thing from the hub - so thats new too now. I also replaced the strut top mount and the strut bearing.

3. I fitted a new driveshaft. I had replaced the driveshaft a year ago and I thought that the JR shafts fitted are likely lower quality than OEM given the price so maybe had worn out already. Did not change the noise.

A point here - JR driveshafts have started being delivered with flat section bent retaining 'rings' on them. It appears that it is impossible to remove the driveshaft if you use these flat rings - always use the round cross section split rings. It looks like the flat 'tails' protrude from the groove and lock the shaft in.

4.I decided that I had some play on the gearbox diff bearing and that, looking around, it was just as much money to replace the box as it was to buy new diff bearings etc. So I got a replacement box.

I can comment on the JR driveshaft retaining rings because I have a gearbox with a locked in driveshaft and a definitely knackered bearing. I bent a 18in chisel trying to get that driveshaft out - the amount of play in the bearing definitely didn't help here, but there was no way that shaft was ever coming out. I might have to split the box just to get it disposed so I'll see if it can be extracted in time.

I have installed the replacement box, I replaced the split gearbox mount. Generally you don't see the type of mount installed on the car - with the bolt on metal plate, instead you get a rubber encased mount that is a one part install. I checked and it's the same height as the two part mount with the two bolts.

The replacement box is of unknown background really. It's off ebay and its an MMT6 with a different revision to the installed box. So, there's that.

I have a new driveshaft installed on the left side.

I have used the torque settings generally available on the net for Volvo V50/S40 parts.

I've bled the clutch release bearing, and it's in better condition than the one I took off.

The car drives fine, gear changes are fine, clutch is fine. Same clattering noise. No other noises at any other time driving through the gears from 20mph zones to NSL. Just this same clatter. The clatter can be severe enough to be felt in the car and slightly through the steering wheel.

So, after all that I have come to the conclusion that this is a case of axle 'ping' or freeplay in the driveshaft so it's clattering in and out as the car is being driven. I have read about the use of Loctite or exhaust gum to remove/take-up clearance in the splines. I think this is my only step now.

Anyone got any other thoughts?!

Last edited by coanda; May 5th, 2024 at 22:34.
coanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, clatter, drive shaft, noise, vibration