Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rustoleum matt black tractor paint

Views : 2452

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2024, 14:52   #51
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I need to behave. I've got 3 vehicles, and only one parking space. I've got some garages, but they are full of motor cycles and statioary engines. I've got a Lister "F" - maybe I could put that in a Volvo for a bit of fun. I did think of fitting it to the front of a trailer to make an autotruck. Does anyone here remember the ones they used to have on the larger British Rail stations?
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 23:34   #52
Rob1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
That's great. Did you sell it, or did it die of natural death?
I sold it probably around 1980 as that was when our first daughter was born and I bought a 2 year old 245DL Estate. It's not listed on the DVLa website, so I guess it has died at some stage. Used to go like stink though. No wonder Volvo had such rally success in the 60s.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 08:33   #53
Chris1Roll

The seller is a little deceptive in their description, the only reason it hasn't 'gone round the clock' as they put it is because the odometer has been stuck since sometime in 2014, so the true mileage will be considerably higher.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...ckRecalls=true
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 10:02   #54
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
The seller is a little deceptive in their description, the only reason it hasn't 'gone round the clock' as they put it is because the odometer has been stuck since sometime in 2014, so the true mileage will be considerably higher.

Wouldn't it have had to have done in excess of 1,000,000 miles to have gone 'round the clock' anyway? This is a largely meaningless statement today when most if not all cars have six digit odos. It originated from the time when cars, if they had one at all, were fitted with speedos' having a four digit odo' and going 'round the clock' was a major achievement. The trip meter, if fitted, read to 99.9 before reverting to zero, as few cars ventured far away from home in those days - perhaps only once or twice a year on the annual holiday.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 11:28   #55
Chris1Roll

Indeed, it's certainly a turn of phrase from the past.
I remember my parents '79 244 turning 100,000 miles as we were travelling under the Clifron suspension bridge on the way to Bristol Zoo for my sisters 6th birthday, which would have been 1990.
They referred to it as 'going round the clock'.

There is at least one 740 that truly has gone round the clock, in the states.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 13:13   #56
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post

Analyzing the documentation further, it can be deduced that this car was most likely a commute to work car. From 2006 til 2008 the car made 4k and 5k in a year but after 2008, the car made exactly 6k every year for enough MOT's to allow for some reliable math.
The last know correct mileage read was 66k in 2014, as in 2015 it already had the current mileage and it was only 4k more, instead of 6k.
So it's 10 years and 10 passed MOT's with a failed clock times 6k miles every year, equals 60k, plus the last know mileage (66,264). The car has, most likely, around 126,264 miles.
Of course, this only applies if the car didn't change owners and even then circumstances might have change and the person did more or fewer miles per years. But given how constant the mileage increase was, I guess it is likely that the 126k isn't far from the true value.

The constant failed MOTs are a far greater concern. This person didn't take car of this car at all.

My father had a Toyota Dyna that went around the clock one time and was well on it's way on its second run when he sold it. I heard it was imported to angola after my father sold it. As far as I know it had no mechanical problems.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Mar 1st, 2024 at 13:17.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 13:18   #57
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I think I read somewhere that there is a redblock engine that has done over 4 milliuon miles. There is also a Volvo million miles club I believe. Mt Ciders has had a replacement engine and a broken odometer for several years. The clock is also broken. I'm not sure where that puts it in the rankins.. Probably equivalent to Cinderella with a wig, false teeth and a wooden leg. Does that mean she won't get the prince?
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 14:55   #58
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
I think I read somewhere that there is a redblock engine that has done over 4 milliuon miles. There is also a Volvo million miles club I believe. Mt Ciders has had a replacement engine and a broken odometer for several years. The clock is also broken. I'm not sure where that puts it in the rankins.. Probably equivalent to Cinderella with a wig, false teeth and a wooden leg. Does that mean she won't get the prince?
That's a gross exaggeration. The car with most miles is a P1800S with 3M miles but as far as I remember it has changed engine 2 times. It has 1M more than the second, which is a old mercedes.
The highest mileage car with a redblock is a 240 wagon with 1.6M, which is the 3rd car in the world with most mileage. Don't know whether it has the original engine.

There was, however, a period of endurance testing during the development of the redblock in which 4 (i believe they were 4) engineers were given an engine each to test. I know this engines were tested to an absurd amount and I know by the end they had millions of miles on them. But I suspect these engines were not on cars for at least a big percentage of those miles, so they weren't under load, they were just doing the mileage.

Having said that. The redblock needs to be tanken care of, just like any other engine. Engines that last 500k km like mine and others that have much more are exceptionally taken care off. I doubt someone that every single year waits to fail an MOT in other to fix very obvious faults, is doing the regular maintenance on time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:34   #59
Paulk

I think the Volvo P1800 had its engine rebuilt twice but still has the original block etc - now in a Volvo museum in America I believe.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:47   #60
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulk View Post
I think the Volvo P1800 had its engine rebuilt twice but still has the original block etc - now in a Volvo museum in America I believe.
I watched an interview with the original now sadly deceased owner and he said he had the engine rebuilt at 1 million and 2 million miles as a precaution, which to me says it didn't actually need doing and he just wanted to ensure it was in tip top condition.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: