Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight lense replacement - XC70 P3

Views : 2386

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2023, 20:24   #21
Onewheel

Got the headlights ready and installed them to test them..
Been sold with trade in with old headlights, so this pair will be restored….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6432.jpg (171.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6505.jpg (93.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6506.jpg (93.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6354.jpg (171.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6508.jpg (96.5 KB, 18 views)
Onewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onewheel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 07:59   #22
37 RUBY
Master Member

So to finish this thread off....

Headlights removed. Easy peasy

Cut the front of lense off with dremel. On 2nd light I rigged my old Henry hoover to catch some of the perspex dust.

The reflector shroud was removed at this point. There are two prongs that sit into a well that is part of the lense channel. You'll need to dig the adhesive out to release these or they'll snap. Ask me how I know. One had to be plastic welded.
I also removed the indicator reflector at this point. It's just two torx screws. Saved it getting damaged.

To get started on removing the remaining lense, I cut a chunk out.

Once I got going it was a case of warm the casing with heat gun on low, Vice grips attached to the perspex, lifting up but sideways at the same time with a long thin screwdriver wedged into the channel and under the perspex, then as the adhesive began to stretch a Stanley knife was used to cut into the adhesive to break its hold.

Then it was a case of getting out the remain adhesive which was the longest part of the task.
I bent an old screwdriver 45 degrees as a scraper.
Once that was done it was time to blow the casing out and get rid of any debri.

Then adhesive time. No pictures I'm afraid. Tigerseal PU adhesive gets alloer' the place....but here's a picture of it strapped up for a bit of overnight bondage

Finally they're back in looking as new.

What would I do differently If I had to do it again?
I might use the butyl headlight seal. Using PU adhesive was not the cleanest option so required clean up afterwards.

For cutting it maybe as easy to use an oscillating multi tool which in turn would create less dust. The particles got every where and took some time to get rid of inside the light housing.

It's not a job for the faint hearted.
That first cut into the lense is definitely shaky hand squeaky bottom time, especially with new units being over £1200.each...

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Aug 31st, 2023 at 08:44.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 12:50   #23
BigGreenThing

Thumbs up

Thanks for this 37 Ruby!!

Great to hear it went successfully...may well embed some confidence in others (like me!!) to try this process at some point in the not too far distant future.

Photos and descriptions (including things to be mindful of when doing it) were really useful. Massively appreciated! For Volvo - I've not seen anything like this elsewhere on t'internet!!

And the new lenses look great! Thumbs up!
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:30   #24
simboc2004
SimboC2004

I have just tried a different approach - I bought some very good, low mileage 2015 units and swapped them over. Quite surprised how much more light now gets through with pristine units - the slight internal crazing I had in the original headlights clearly dispersed more light than I realised!

One BIG problem, though... The "facelift" headlights are exactly the same as the 2011 ones (mine are halogens) - EXCEPT the front position light (side light to us oldies) is now a built in LED unit, which throws up bulb failure errors. I had done an LED conversion on my old units and added a ballast resistor (OSRAM) into the wiring to stop this happening. On the new headlights, though, there is no obvious wiring to add one in to. Can this be switched off in VIDA?

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote