Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reversing light upgrade

Views : 1843

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 18:31   #11
nu11eaf
Premier Member

No need to get your knickers in a twist, it was just a question, and wondered if you had though about it, and had the answer, best to make sure before your first MOT is due, it does not bother me.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 22nd, 2024 at 18:43.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 18:50   #12
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
No need to get your knickers in a twist, it was just a question, and wondered if you had though about it, and had the answer, best to make sure before your first MOT is due, it does not bother me.
A quick look at the requirements covering reversing lamps in the UK MOT Tester's manual seems to confirm that the OP's solution is acceptable:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-6-3
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 19:28   #13
davidwf15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Don't worry....I hadn't🙂 .... Just noting how people with dazzling lights can get away with pretty much anything 😁
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidwf15 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 00:10   #14
davidwf15

better schematic attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (74.2 KB, 34 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 11:16   #15
piorunz

Thanks for the pic by the way! It looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
jees....(...) but you're worrying about a reversing light mounted under the bumper that will be on for a few seconds when you reverse off the road onto your drive... (...)
Relax, no one is attacking you, this is a pure question of compliance. MOT have a long list of things to check so this is an interesting to know if this is a 100% pass. Which look like it is, so any other forum member can go ahead and try your solution now without worrying about anything MOT related.

Last edited by piorunz; Jan 23rd, 2024 at 11:19.
piorunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 11:22   #16
davidwf15

edit.... if you are going to use the bigger / higher powered light then replace diode D1 with something like a 1N5400 or P600A which are rated at 3 and 6Amps respectively
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by davidwf15; Jan 23rd, 2024 at 11:29.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 15:57   #17
vampwitch

Thank you for this wonderful and so useful post. Electronics aren't my thing. Generation yes. Could I simply use a relay wired in the similar manner or would this cause an issue with the Canbus?

Thank you.
vampwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 16:43   #18
davidwf15

Ha
..well that's the $64000 question as (for our U.S. readers) we say here in the UK.....in theory it "should" be OK as the only additional load will be a relay coil - around 1/4 Amp or so....but when the relay releases it will produce a large reverse voltage spike which, if not clamped with a diode runs the risk of blowing the canbus module ....it might, it might not.....I didn't want to risk that hence my interface circuit which presents pretty much NO additional load and NO back EMF spike
Attached is what you were proposing, it should work without any problems but I do not recommend it "just in case"
There is one other reason for using the transistor interface..... the LED bar is in fact a series of several LED's in series / parallel.... hit it with 14V from cold and, like a traditional lightbulb the weakest LED in the strip will take the highest current and will tend to pop, with my circuit the capacitor presents a very small delay and gradual increase of voltage so that is less likely to happen.
The more expensive strips that can run on 12 or 24V are less likely to pop as they also have inbuilt regulators
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (54.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by davidwf15; Jan 28th, 2024 at 16:59.