Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust leak?

Views : 596

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2023, 17:12   #1
yoarturr

Default Exhaust leak?

The exhaust fumes are only visible just as the same moment as when you see it coming from the exhaust pipe, and that is, when it’s cold, starting from 2-3 degrees. After it’s heated up there’s no more smoke.
That’s a sign of a exhaust leak right? The weird thing is that it’s coming from the very front of the engine bay and there’s no excessive noise.
The mechanic said it might be a problem from the crank housing breather and the pcv valve.

Here’s a video of it

https://streamable.com/da35gm

https://streamable.com/km4722
yoarturr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 17:37   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

it looks like oil burning off as the smoke looks blue needs further investigation any fumes are bad for you. check the oil is not over filled.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 17:42   #3
yoarturr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
it looks like oil burning off as the smoke looks blue needs further investigation any fumes are bad for you. check the oil is not over filled.
I changed the oil about a month ago. I filled 6.2 liters like it says on the manual. The thing is that when I check the level with the dipstick on one side it shows to the max, and on the other side a couple of X are not stained with oil. (That’s doing two whole verifications. First time putting the dipstick in with the max and min level side facing the engine, and the second time facing me). But either way it doesn’t seem to be overfilled

Last edited by yoarturr; Nov 26th, 2023 at 17:55.
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 18:21   #4
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile exhaust?

the exhaust run and turbo are behind the engine, could it be some sort of intercooler split? although when mine went there was no smoke or obvious gas escape.. are you getting a normal boost pressure (up to 18-20 psi) above ambient air pressure?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 18:36   #5
yoarturr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
the exhaust run and turbo are behind the engine, could it be some sort of intercooler split? although when mine went there was no smoke or obvious gas escape.. are you getting a normal boost pressure (up to 18-20 psi) above ambient air pressure?
There’s no lack of power, so I think so
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 06:57   #6
yoarturr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoarturr View Post
I changed the oil about a month ago. I filled 6.2 liters like it says on the manual. The thing is that when I check the level with the dipstick on one side it shows to the max, and on the other side a couple of X are not stained with oil. (That’s doing two whole verifications. First time putting the dipstick in with the max and min level side facing the engine, and the second time facing me). But either way it doesn’t seem to be overfilled
Have I overfilled it?
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 17:52   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

yes its possible you have over filled it i usually fill to three quarters way up the dipstick. did this smoking problem start straight after your oil change try removing at least half a litre and see if it changes any thing. i believe the revised oil capacity is 5.9 liters

Last edited by Simmy; Nov 30th, 2023 at 17:58.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 14:55   #8
yoarturr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
yes its possible you have over filled it i usually fill to three quarters way up the dipstick. did this smoking problem start straight after your oil change try removing at least half a litre and see if it changes any thing. i believe the revised oil capacity is 5.9 liters
It was actually the preheater. I took out the fuse and now it doesn’t smoke anymore.

Either way I’d take some oil out because it’s really close to pass the max mark.
Do you insert the dipstick with the X marks facing the engine?